1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lol

You mean like Manu coming off the bench?

1 person likes this.
  2. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Pop has Manu come off the bench because he wants at least one member of his big 3 on the court at any given time.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But it doesn't make sense to not start out your best starting five right? A good coach would figure it our right?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A coach puts the combinations on the court that he thinks will win games. We're third in the Western Conference, with a 36-17 record (a winning percentage of 0.669%) going into the All Star break. What about that doesn't make sense? If winning is the barometer of success, the Rockets are successful. If winning is the barometer of success for a coach, McHale is successful.

Of course, if all you care about is a particular player, winning doesn't matter. The "status" of being a starter trumps all. Forget that Jeremy's coach spent the bulk of his best years of a Hall of Fame career coming off the bench as the 6th Man. I'm sure you know what's best.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol I'm on your side man. Read a couple of posts up where I was quoted. I was being sarcastic in the post you just quoted.

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

The Spurs are exceptional. Their reason for Manu coming off the bench is better than ours for Lin (which has more to do with Harden than anything else).

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The Spurs reason is the same as ours. It's the same as the Thunder with Harden. Optimizing lineups.

Your reason for not liking is easy to see.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

What's wrong with harden? Is he blocking linsanity 2.0?

9. hamsession

hamsession Member

I see it as Bev being 3-2 against .500 teams. And Lin is 3-1 against .500 teams.

I don't count playoff teams because the East has playoff teams that have losing records.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry. There's so much crap to wade through here at times that sarcasm is missed. Hell, I made a post about just that subject somewhere in the GARM earlier this afternoon.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree, this is a great way to look at who is better. However, you forgot to put down a few losses for Jeremy. He was 3-3. Average. Bev 3-2, slightly better than average. Oh and Lin's win against Memphis was without the Defensive Player of the Year in the lineup. Thanks for the fodder!

12. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

the current situation for Lin is that if he can't get adapted to the current lineup and the style of each individual on the team, he will be traded by Morey without hesitation..
    his stats drops only because he is trying to fit in. He takes fewer shots, plays off the ball, focus on pushing up the speed when needed,etc...the sorts of things he is doing are trying to make the team better, while at the same time achieve himself as a player he wants himself to be. He is not playing comfortably for sure but unselfishly.
    Besides~
    Parsons tends to handle the ball much more than the last season and as a close friend of Parsons':grin:, I guess Lin knows this is going to be an important season for CP25 to get a decent contract, so...

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Man, I think he's the perfect 6th man. I can't remember a 6th man on the Rockets quite like him. Closest impact comparison for me is probably Sam Cassell. Sam was a better shooter, but Jeremy's pace and vision are better. Neither is a defensive juggernaut, but neither team needed the respective player to be the defensive oriented type. I must admit I love the makeup of this team. I hope Morey doesn't do too much, but hey, he's got a track record of improving this team thru trade.

14. basketballholic

He is a perfect sixth man because he's a top 15 point guard in the league. And a case could be made that he is a top 10 point guard this season. He is in the 90th percentile of best playmakers in the league.

You guys are arguing over the wrong end of the game. For teams that win championships it's not really about who starts so much as it is about who finishes. A team that wins the ring has to finish a lot of close games with the right stuff.

And that is what we have to remember about Lin. Lin is a closer.

If (and thats a definite if at this point) we don't trade him then you can bet your bottom dollar that when our playoff season ends, whether it ends in a championship or whether it ends in defeat, that Lin will be on the floor playing substantial, important minutes alongside BOTH Harden and Beverley.

The best 5 players on this team are Howard, Harden, Parsons, Lin, and Beverley. Coincidentally, those are your 5 best closers as well. If we don't trade Lin, watch that lineup play more and more minutes together the deeper in the playoffs we go.

15. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

All this makes sense on the offensive end. Lin is a very poor defender. I think he can improve to become a good defender, but right now he is awful. That being said, I think he's doing a great job in the 6th man role providing instant offense of the bench.

16. Razsan

Razsan Member

That's bullcrap...poor defender??? What does that make guys like Harden?
    Lin is a decent defender and has done a good job against some of the best he's faced. I don't mean to pick on you but it sounds like you're doing too much reading and not enough watching. Just because someone (typically a Lin detractor) says it's true, doesn't make it so.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

But is he better than Rubio?

18. Little General

Then tell me which other PG is a better defender than Lin coming off the bench? It is a luxury having Lin coming off the bench. His defense is good enough, he can score and he can create for others. People are underestimating what he brings to this team. And overall Lin is good for this team. And Lin's impact on the team is about 10.1%, which is pretty good.

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I remember in that Dallas game that Lin started about a week ago the announcer was saying what a "luxury" it was to have a player like Lin coming off the bench and being able to fill in starter spot if Pbev or Harden injured. Morey isn't going to ship Lin out unless it was a clear upgrade

20. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Totally agree but how is this different than any other player Morey would trade?

You guys that just care about Jeremy are missing the forest for the trees.

1 person likes this.