1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Jeremy Lin-Carmelo Anthony jersey controversy is ridiculously overblown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The original plan was to have Carmelo wearing a fur coat and holding the Larry O'Brien trophy. Then management decided that the fur coat part was tacky.

2. conquistador#11

lol you're on a roll today. the funny thing is that the fur coat would have probably swayed carmelo's opinion to.."when do lala and I sign the contract, maury?"
    :p

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should have had melo roll up to a tea house and drink tapioca and have him talk to the patrons about Jackie Robinson

1 person likes this.
  4. allforone

allforone Member

Lin's a goner, Melo will not join the rockets, Bosh will as well dine&dash like Melo because nobody wants to play alongside a semi-serious back-broke DH and a clutch-choke pro in JH, espeically after these free agents learn about how Rockets treated their contracted employee.

Time to move on

5. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Bring a real coach like JVG. Get Harden to play defense. Get Dwight to play P&R. Get a wing defender who can shoot threes. Play DMo. With the best C and best SG in the roster, Rockets have enough talents to be a contender.

I laugh at the thought of adding Melo and subtract Asik and Lin will make this team a contender.

6. allforone

allforone Member

The thing is, no one seems to remember Melo is stat star on a 37-45 Knicks team and all of a sudden, he became the answer, Melo doesn't play D,he is weak on rotation and despite all his verbal repetitions of "I am all for the ring", he is and will always be shooting for the big contracts and lavish life.

With two other texas teams showing improvements, Houston is moving in the opposite direction : stacking up big-name players and forgetting it's a team sport , and that good teams share the ball.

Harden will never play defense, so as to save energe and squeeze himself into the top scorers' list, DH is what he is and will only age. and I doubt Houton will manage to get what you described as the best acqusitions in your post. Morey is very smart, but it takes more than that to forge a championship team.

Houston has more than enough talents , but less on the heart and winner M.O.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Are you kidding?

If we had Steve Blake instead of Lin we would have gone all the way.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

Lin >>>>> Mad Max

1 person likes this.
  9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

That's why you need a head coach that will hold his star player accountable. JVG would make Harden play defense. Harden does not need to be an elite defender, he just need to be an average defender that you don't need Beverley and Howard to cover for him all the time.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I love JVG, but in fact he never won as many games with the Rockets as McHale and never got out of the first round. I don't get the level of hatred for McHale. He has a better winning % than JVG as Rockets coach.

11. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Very good points. I didn't really think about the history Lin has had with us. If you look at the entire context, it should make a difference in one's opinions --regardless of whether you like him or not.

Also, the front office also leaked the news that we may keep Lin if we can't sign a top free agent. So not only is he a current employee, he could potentially remain an employee. Since this is the case, a simple courtesy call or heads up via a call or even a text message probably would have been adequate and should have absolutely been given especially if you're gonna basically plaster that image above the TC.

What will be the ramifications of this now??
    Trade him no matter what? I'm sure the LOFs will be ecstatic. And we may not get anything of equal value back.
    Keep a very unhappy player on our roster? Hell no.

This whole crap potentially makes for unnecessarily bad business moves and bad PR.

Love him or hate him, he has been an integral part of our team. He was the starter his 1st year and a part time starter last year. He is not some draft pick or some scrub at the end of the bench. Not to mention, he is a very popular player judging by his large and very vocal fanbase. So show a little common sense and when you criticize a player or anybody for that matter, try to put yourself in his/her shoes before you judge that person.

I really hope the front office learns from this. Business can be cutthroat but there are ways to conduct it without looking like an ass.

Well I guess there remains one bright side for only one person --Les. If he ever decided to fire Morey in the future, I guess Les can just say, "It's just math."

12. allforone

allforone Member

Not if Jame Harden hogs the ball in the last 5 minutes in the 4th qtr.

13. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

JVG's Rockets had no talent besides Yao and T-Mac. In the 2005 playoff vs Dallas, Houston starts Bob Sura, David Wesley, and Ryan Freaking Bowen vs Dallas. Can you believe it, Ryan Freaking Bowen??!!

This Rockets squad is so much more talented than any of JVG's squad.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maxwell wouldn't tweet proverbs
    he is the proverb

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yao>Dwight
    T-Mac>Harden
    Sura is about like Bev, a scrapper
    Bowen v Jones hmm. . . . Jones got smoked at historic levels by LMA. Bowen actually played OK.
    David Wesley<Parsons.

I'm not buying it.

16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

You forgot Asik instead of Jones in 4 of the 6 games. Also, that 2005 squad has nobody on the bench. Once Dirk figure out that he does not need to defend Bowen, Rockets had no not much chance of winning that series.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Bowen only started 3 games.

Let's see. Playoffs PER, 2005 v 2014 (sorted by most minutes played):

PER
    T-Mac 27.2
    Harden 18.3

Wesley 7.8
    Parsons 14.8

Yao 29.0
    Howard 27.2

Barry 12.5
    Bev 8.9

Sura 11.3
    Lin 12.4

James 16.5
    Asik 9.1

Bowen 2.6
    Jones 17.9

Padgett 9.3
    Daniels 17.5

Mutombo 14.0
    Garcia 6.3

So JVG's got the edge with T-Mac, Yao, Barry, James, and Mutombo.
    McHale's got the edge with Parsons, Lin, Jones and Daniels.

I'm not convinced that McHale had a big edge.

Or we can go by position:

Sura 11.3
    Beverley 8.9

Wesley 7.8
    Harden 18.3

T-Mac 27.2
    Parsons 14.8

Bowen 2.6
    Jones 17.9

Yao 29.0
    Dwight 27.2

James 16.5
    Lin 12.4

Mutombo 14.0
    Asik 9.1

Seen this way, JVG had the edge in Sura, T-Mac, Yao, James, and Mutombo.
    McHale had the edge in Harden and Jones.

I welcome an alternative, fact-based analysis.

18. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

The last play of the season leading to the Lillard three is all you need to know about McHale's coaching. Also the fact that even the Trailblazers mentioned how crappy Houston's defense was.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Don't you think per would be affected by coaching?

The eyeball test is all you need to see that the Rockets defense in the 2014 playoffs was bad.

Offensively they got by often times from Howard carrying them.

20. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Thank you for posting this.