1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: An Analysis (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sham,

I remember that you are a Bulls fan. So, I am curious how likely you think the Bulls will be willing to trade a first round draft pick to try and dump some salary (Rip Hamilton, maybe even Kirk Hinrich) to get under the luxury tax threshold. Aggrey Sam talked about the Bulls trying to shop Hamilton ( http://www.csnchicago.com/basketbal...16949&feedID=661&awid=7511428559325397997-914 ) but made it sound like they are hoping to get something of value for him. Maybe I am biased, but my sense is that the Bulls will likely need to pay to get the salary off their hands necessary to get under the tax threshold.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sham

Sham Member

They'll try and do the inevitable Hamilton for something vaguely useful, like adding Radmanovic and a pick for Omri Casspi. Not sure they'll get anything of much use really. Either way, the trade is inevitable.

3. tyairaul

tyairaul Member

In Morey we trust~

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cool read and cool thread... minus a blemish poster.

Thanks bima and everyone else!

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I have kind of a follow up question from the greg amith question asked earlier...

Now i know he cant be "poisen pilled" like asik/lin with the gilber arenas rule" but is their another type of provision out there(sham and bima you both spoke of 'andray blatching' and 'nick collising' and i have no idea what either mean[and would also like an explanation for if possible, t.i.a]) that could be uses to snag smith from us asik style...

Or since it will be after his 3rd yr he will be jus a normal joe-blow not fit for any loopholes and wrinkles in the cba...

Thanks again bima for the time, effort, intelligence and feedback... Happy Holidays...

Also, welcome to CF sham and also thank you for your insight and input, much appreciated...

6. jeffyisme

jeffyisme Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q73

It's my understanding that teams under cap space can sign a player to a contract-extension with a different set of rule from "normal" extension.

In the season of 2010-2011, the Thunders were under the cap slightly more than $6.5 million, and would like to sign a front-loaded contract-extension with Nick Collision as OKC were about to sign KD to a max deal the next year. A front-loaded contract would be more cap-friendly to them.

Of course players normally don't like to sign contracts like that, so the OKC offered their entire remaining cap space as signing bonus to Nick Collision as an incentive for him to sign a front-loaded & relatively cheap new contract.

So his contract structure is as follows:

$13,250,000 (previous deal worth 6.75M + 6.5M signing bonus)
    $3,272,997 (front-loaded contract extension for $11,030,000 for 4 years.)
    $2,929,332
    $2,585,668
    $2,242,003

This only occurs when you're well under the cap, or the calculation of contracts with signing bonus will be completely different.

That's only my understanding, though. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  8. BigMaloe

9. Sham

Sham Member

Sort of. Blatche had two years and about $6 million left to run. He used cap space to negotiation up to an average of about $6.5 million a year, tacking three more on. It was more conventional than Collison's weird old deal.

2 people like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

12. BigMaloe

Ahh ok

13. rajon

rajon Member

Can we give him Royce White's salary? :grin:

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a very interesting wrinkle (and a very clever contract structure). Seems like it'd depend on the second-star search going on now. If we find someone to give a big money contract to this offseason (or next trade deadline) and would have no cap space in 2014, you'd go ahead and get him as a RFA, but if we were still looking, we'd have to take our chances in 2015.

16. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Seeing the updated analysis of Chandler Parsons contract got me thinking about Rockets players whose current (this year) production is exceeding their contract value.

James Harden, 5.8M contract, production ~20M
    Chandler Parsons, 1M contract, production ~8M
    Omer Asik, 8M (cap hit) contract, production ~12M
    Patrick Beverly, 300k, production ~3M

That's a pretty good signing efficiency rating(tm) Morey is racking up there.

1 person likes this.
  17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

does this mean that dude was right about parsons getting paid before the end of his contract?

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Just curious, what are you basing the production value on?

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

An absolutely no validity eyeball test, followed by looking up a couple salaries of what seemed like comparable players (or in the case of Harden, taking a guess at actual value).

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

In other words, all the validity you would expect from a random fan who spent 5 minutes surfing the web to "research" his wild-assed guesses.