1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Terrence Williams on potentially leaving the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ThaShark316_28

Aww he wants in. :grin:

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Im pretty happy I made the list. I was wondering if I was losing my touch that it took so long to make someones list by now on this site.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you're constantly having to clear up what you said, you cant blame anyone else for it. It means you're speaking too quickly and without thinking. Unfortunately for him, that's usually what you're really thinking. The clarification is the politically correct answer.

I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere and it'll be disappointing to see him blossom, if he does, but it's clear he doesn't want to be back unless he gets paid the most here and gets a minutes guarantee. Not gonna happen.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

McHale or Chandler Parsons. Morey has gone out of his way making moves like trading Battier, to give Terrence his shot. He cant help that Parsons simply beat him out for minutes. If the Rockets would have picked up his option for next year there is a good chance he still wouldnt have cracked the rotation next year. The Rockets are doing the right thing by either trading him or letting him sign with another team this offseason.

As for him "blossoming", I dont really know what you mean by that, but I do think that Terrence can have a Nate Robinson like career where teams find him useful on a short term leash, but no team in the NBA will be making him a large financial investment.

As we have seen with other players similar to Jeremy Lin, you can become a victim of your own contract. Despite Lin's talents, he consistently was waived due to his contractual situation.

Same will go with Terrence. Some team out there will sign him, but he's going to have trouble getting a player friendly contract that allows him to stay with the team when the going gets tough, and players need to be moved easily.

Terrence could very well have big moments for a team in the near future, but I doubt he has a big career. Players with the guaranteed contracts, and high draft picks get the playing time. Terrence has big odds to beat if he ever thinks he's going to be an NBA superstar.

However, I do predict that sometime in the near future Terrence will go off for another team and people on Clutchfans will go nuts wanting Morey's head because he let him go. Just put it in your head now that it was the right thing to do, and remember that any success he has will be hard to maintain given his next contractual situation.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Well newspapers do tend to take comments out of context.

He could have EASILY said what he said on the video and added the tidbit about not expecting his contract to be picked up with the media running away with the latter.

We really do not know.

6. Htown's2kFinest

It's real unfortunate it turned out this way. He could have a brought a lot more excitement and fans in the Toyota Center if things worked out. At the end of the day this game is about entertainment and this team lacks that in some ways. Too many "middle guys" on the team and no one really to be excited about.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree 100%.

My policy on trades is if I supported them when it happened, I don't feel I can criticize the one who made it if it doesn't pan out. I liked the T-Will trade (a lot, actually). I can't be upset with the Rockets for making the trade, even if the way they didn't play him (and still have to give up a first rounder) is hurting.

However, what pains me is this -- unlike Hill, Flynn and Thabeet, there's untapped talent there and I feel we didn't give Terrence a shot on the court to make or break a spot here. There may be other issues about winning basketball that I don't understand, but T-Will has real skills. I think hes a jack of all trades and quite possibly a master of none, so he may need to master one or two to get a firm spot in a rotation, but I don't see why he's not given more minutes because unlike the Rockets, I don't place a high value on "win-now." You've got Parsons for 4 more years... you only get 2 more months of a look at T-Will.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I like what Parsons has done and he's definitely been a surprise, but I don't really feel like he's making a huge enough impact on a team like this where you wouldn't at least see what you have in T-Will before you outright lose him. It's definitely not like the Lin situation where it was obvious he was stuck behind one, if not two pgs who it was accepted at the time were obvious upgrades from Lin.

I guess my ire should be placed at McHale if the goes on and blossoms somewhere else.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just posted this in another thread, but thought I put it here to see what the reaction is:

"I should have added "in my opinion," because that's what it is, my opinion, but look at how McHale has handled the roster. Against the Jazz, Smith gets 12 minutes. That's serious time for a dude right off the bus from D-League. Look at the other young players that have gotten time. Parsons, obviously, who has been a starter for a while now. Everyone else who plays at a position Williams might play at has deserved minutes, and were here producing before Williams showed up. Just before he was cut, Adrien was given significant time and produced. The team has a great deal of depth at the positions Williams would play. That's just how it is (ask Adrien). Williams has to show McHale that he deserves to be on the court in front of those other players on the depth chart. It's obvious that he hasn't. I don't think it's because of some "grand conspiracy." It's Rockets science.

The most obvious sign that Williams is out of favor with McHale? When Courtney Lee went down. That was clearly the chance Williams needed to show what he can do. So what happened? Williams continued to sit. Why? The only logical explanation I can think of is that Williams hasn't produced in practice. The only other possibility, IMO, would be that he's a problem in the locker room, and I haven't heard that he is, so what other explanation could there be? Parsons has assumed a huge role with the team. Why not Williams if he has the talent, combined with the smarts, that so many here say that he has? Does anyone seriously think McHale wouldn't play him if he thought Williams would help the team on the court? And McHale isn't alone. As others have pointed out, no less than Rick Adelman and Avery Johnson decided not to give Williams minutes. Those decisions aren't made in a vacuum."

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=215577&page=4

10. ThaShark316_28

I remember Warren Sapp saying it some time ago:

"Put something on that tape. Make the coaches HAVE to play you."

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't understand the sentiment that Terrence hasn't had an opportunity to earn minutes.

You'd have to convince me that he had less of a chance to prove himself than a kid (Parsons) who didn't even sign until a week before the season started, and was coming in as a 2nd round pick with no history on the team or in the league.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding Clutch's article: if the team still believes in the guy, it makes no sense to not give him enough run to find his rhythm. There must be other issues.

Deckard: I am with you in thinking Williams is in McHale's dog house. Whether it is because of locker room issues or practice habits, McHale is rubbing in the fact Williams will get no time. McHale is playing everyone but Williams and Thabeet... that speaks volumes.

For a while I felt for Williams because when he did get time, he often got it with Johnny Flynn which meant Williams had limited time to "put on tape" what he could do on offense. He might elsewhere get a Lin-style chance in which the coach just lets him run the show for a game to see what he can do.

That is the thing about evaluating players: some guys need real PT and an open role to put something special on tape. Remember Lin did nothing special to blow Knick coaches away until they gave him minutes in desperation to see what he could do before they decided to cut him.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Actually according to Lin's teammates, Chandler especially. He was saying how Lin was destroying everyone in practice.

Heck he would have been on the Rockets if it wasn't for the veto'd trade.

Lin's lack of opportunity probably has more to do with the stigma he carries around, whereas T-Will's lack of opportunity probably has more to do with the attitude that he carries around. If he had the same attitude as Lin I'm 100% sure he'll be getting at least 20 minutes a game.

14. alethios

alethios Member

I agree, he's too much of a chameleon out on the court. You never know what you're going to get when he's playing. I would have liked to see him excel at one or two things, but he's always been too tentative, only showing occasional good play.

If he could have learned one thing from Parsons, it should have been that you need to hustle and play smart, heads up basketball to get the PT. For TWill, it's all about confidence on the court. I mean, really, what is his niche?

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

WTF you switched monikers again?

16. JeffB

Supporting Member

So much so that D'Antoni admitted he was going to cut Lin in just a few days after the Boston game? D'Antoni admitted playing Lin was a "we are 8-15 with nothing to lose" proposition, not a "wow this Lin kid is killing people in practice so I have to play him" move.

Weren't there reports Williams killing guys in practice one-on-one last season and training camp?

17. JeffB

Supporting Member

I think this is money. Parsons already brings a consistent energy level. That alone beats out Williams. I think Williams is still a project, whether he realizes it or not. The shortened season, little camp and barely any practices, has hurt this dude (probably as much as his public attitude has with fans). The Rockets have shown they are not willing to lose a game to develop a project.

18. nadman89

nadman89 Member

t-will may get a shot if we make a big trade at the deadline so u never know

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I noticed that as well. Thank god! I never got used to that other moniker. In fact, I've already forgotten it.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Parsons beats out Terrence because he is a real SF. They are not competing against eachother.

Terrence needs to beat out Dragic/Lee/Martin, which just isn't going to happen...DM needs to make a trade.