1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Terrence Jones makes his Rockets' rotation debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 11, 2013.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

jones played better than solid defense. his offense didn't look good. I can see he rushed his shots a lot due to lack of experience. if giving him playing time, he will get used to play in this league. his offense should be much better than last night.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

remember a backup center plays against a backup most time. we don't really need a starting caliber center to play as a backup. a solid big should be ok.

3. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

Terrence Jones will developed into a fine PF he just needs a playing time.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I keep telling you guys we never needed a star PF. We have everyone that we need if they just played them. Jones didn't just show that last night, he showed up during preseason as well. It was evident then that he was the starting 4 that we needed, but they had to give TT a try first.:rolleyes:

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What took Coach so long to put this young fella in the freaking game? SMH

6. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

T Jones did a great job stomping on Rudy Gay and the Raptors!

He trained very hard over the summer Good Job Bud!

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Coach McHale:

(On Terrence Jones' play) “Coming into the year I really thought that Terrence (Jones) or D-Mo (Donatas Motiejunas) was going to have to play that side of the ball and really take that thing. It just seemed through training camp, it just seemed up and down, up and down, but Terrence worked hard and he's been doing all his work. For Terrence to not play and go out and play 32 minutes, that’s hard to do. He kept running. I was proud of him. He's a second-year player. I told him when you get a chance, just stick with it. I thought he did a really good job.”

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great take. Jones' 4 blocks and 10 boards raised my eyebrows. Hes a big kid who's capable of being a phisysical presence at the 4 spot, and his athleticism allows him to stay with quick 4's or switch on 3's. he has a chance to be very very good one day. For now, especially since it's so early in the season and the Asik experiment isn't working out, we should be playing Jones plenty.

9. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I think Jones makes Dwight feel like he's got someone who's got his back. Someone who isn't inherently physical. Someone who won't feel bad if they elbow someone accidentally or not. Someone who will pick someone up and body slam them if it's called for. Take some weight off of Dwight's shoulders. Plus, TJ can zip in and out of the paint as needed, unlike Asik. He's also a good target with decent hands for a slasher to dump the ball off to, can run the floor and fill a lane and get a rebound or put back slam. Good blue collar center who is still raw and can only get better.

An All-star PF would just wonder why he isn't getting any shots on this team.

10. Mr Chuck Norris

You know, I wanted us to trade for Tristan Thompson, but Terrance Jones is just as good, I have a feeling he'll give the same type of production.

11. verysimplejason

TJones is certainly one of my favorite players. His work ethic is nice and he persevered. His rebounding and defense give a huge boost to the Rockets. Hopefully he'll have more minutes.

12. highlander3128

Thanks Ben for the nice write up and well done TJ!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. highlander3128

I had enough with the TT crap. Play a proper 4 and off we go. If Asik doesn't accept a bench role as Lin did, then trade him.

14. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

The Rockets Roster is too Deep and Talented to not be utilized more during the long and grueling NBA season with back to backs, 3 games in 4 nights, 4 games in 5 nights, injuries, sickness, and traveling on the road.

The more rest the starters can get, the better and more effective they will be now, during the season, and in the playoffs and less likely to get injured or worsen injuries due to fatigue, wear/tear, which can also lead to bad technique/playing out of character or making bad decisions which leads to turnovers.

The more the reserves play the more confident and sharper they will be. The Rockets will also be in Greater Spirits when all of their players are in Great Spirits contributing on the court because that's what players want to do even for limited minutes.

Ideally, the Rockets can alternate or involve reserve players based on favorable matchups, lineups, who's hot or cold, opposing teams circumstances,who's injured or exhausted, etc. The more effective the second unit or reserves can be, the less compelled the coach will have to be to bring back the first unit or play the starters more minutes.

With larger leads heading into the 3rd and 4th quarters, thanks in part to a solid and wider rotation, the coach can rest more of their starters making them happier, excited, and more robust. Bigger leads allow the opportunity to Develop more of the young and inexperienced players on the NBA level now and for the future, which keeps the entire active man roster fresh and ready not rusty to contribute at any given moment during the season and playoffs.

Unfortunately, having depth at basically every position does not guarantee WINS, Success, or Championships.

Recap:

However, depth when used effectively and timely will greatly increase the likelihood of Winning as well as minimize physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion and conversely ensure fresher legs, clearer heads, and max energy/passion.

The key is to achieve a good balance as not getting enough playing time for starters can also be detrimental. I am confident that the coaching staff and management will achieve a more successful yet consistent deployment sooner than later...

Fortunately, the Rockets have the ability to beat any team in the NBA on any given night with their roster.

Positional and Lineup Depth/Flexibility/Versatility is a very good thing to have especially when determining who starts, who comes off the bench, and who seals the deal, because it makes the Rockets that much harden to scout against because of unpredictability with productive & dangerous lineups :cool:

#54 djperm, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jones was better than Dmo for all but about 15 minutes of preseason, but half the board was convinced Dmo was the better of the two, I never really understood it.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Both players bring something different to the table. So IMO its a toss up. DMo has the better offensive skill set while Jones rebounds and plays help defense better.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Boy do I disagree with your statement, but I guess it all boils down to what you think the team needs at the PF position - offense or defense.

TJones is by far the better man to man defender - and a bit better rebounder.

DMo is by far the better offensive player and passer.

I personally believe you need an offensively oriented PF to start next to Howard - but am happy that anyone other than Asik does that going forward.

DD

18. Grinds

Grinds Member

Thought dude was Dwight on that putback dunk. Looked good defensively too. Needs to improve his shot, but at least he's not another liability FT-wise.

19. playdo

playdo Member

I would like to see less cassipi and more t.jones. t.jones is more athletic and plays better defense than d.mo and cassipi. if he can develop nice midrange shot or corner 3, he could be our starting PF.

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Terrance is really looking good. I'd love to see how he handles a few more games with decent minutes.