1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] State of the Rockets Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think the Rockets are set at guard with a 3 man rotation of KPJ/Green/Christopher with Brooks and Matthews getting some spot minutes for spacing. I am hoping that Sengun and Garuba can hold down the 5 for 48 average to above average minutes. So that leaves wings. I like Tate but wonder if he isn't more valuable as an asset than as a player (could he return a first rounder from the Knicks maybe?). Martin, I think, is a guy worth keeping around in the hopes he can get his shooting from late last season back. He's a hell of a role player if he shoots 38% or so. Also think that Matthews can play some 3. So really it is the 4 that needs some love from Stone. Banchero/Smith would be perfect. If we arent in position to get one of those guys I do like Keegan Murray or Patrick Baldwin but those guys are more role players than difference makers in my mind.

2. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

not a full year into a total rebuild, everything is in flux and our focus remains on the draft.

dmoneybangbang, Nook and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

What could have been.

aaquaa, Nook and ico4498 like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

It's technically year 2 of post Harden era, even though it feels like year one, because last year we had to get the picks first.

As far as future; I am curious what Stone and Silas will do at the next two milestones: mid season report card and end of season. You have guys like Wood possible trade talks, and KPJ is extension eligible. There's also this full roster list of young players. Seems like not enough playing time to go around.

Rockets may need to make room for the 2022 draft:
    • Houston first-round pick
    • First-round selection from Brooklyn OR Miami (top-14 protected), whichever is higher.
    That's a possible two roster spot. If guys like Gordon or Wood gets traded, it's possible there's more people coming in than going out. Rockets waived House, which is fine, but eventually other guys will be on the chopping block or G-league bound.

With health & safety protocols, bodies are needed for now. But eventually things will stabilize and the openings will go back down.

---
    List of players in future plans. Not who I personally like, but more of who I think Rockets Org favors currently for foundation.

A-tier: Green (#2 pick expectation), KPJ
    B-tier: Sengun and Christopher. (JC has moved up)
    C-tier: Brooks, KJ, Tate, Garrison. (all likable guys and maybe will break out, ok to play them, but also guys the org might move if certain deals come along)
    Garuba - the read is team doesn't think he's ready​
    D-tier: Theis / DJ - stabilizing vet presence.
    F-tier: Queen, Nix

DNP: Wall

Wood and Gordon are question marks. Wood technically would be in the a-tier, as far as who Rocket feels is important. I do wonder how cold and calculating if Stone was to realistically look at the whole thing and also not be anchored by endowment effect; hopefully proper appraisal for Wood.

aaquaa and sydmill like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is going to be a very hard task getting all these guards down to 3-4 that you want to play and getting rid of the rest.

DD

aaquaa likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The upside about the wheels coming off with Wood and KPJ is that neither were essential to our rebuild, we’re not on the hook for much money, and we have a very good look at another top 3 pick…which we badly need.

I think it also puts Stone on the hot seat with a track record of very questionable moves, and it exposes Silas’ inability to control his team, which should make it easier to move on in the offseason.

just trying to find the silver lining ;)

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Bump with the deadline approaching.

Trades:
    1) EG to Cleveland for Rubio and their lottery protected first (currently Pick 23)

2) Wood to Washington for Hachimura, Bryant and swap of Washington's first with best pick of Miami/Brooklyn (would currently move Rockets up from pick 24 to pick 17)

With these two deals the Rockets move EG off of their cap for an expiring and a frp. Bonus that we do right by Gordon sending him to a playoff team and reuniting him with JB. The Wood deal is less than I had hoped a month ago (I was proposing Patrick Williams as a target). But there is value in Hachimura who is a skilled big body at a position of need. He probably is a depth piece but the Rockets have a year to look at the fit before his rookie deal expires. Bryant is probably allowed to walk after the season but could come back as a depth piece if he is willing to sign for low money. And the Rockets move their mid 20s pick to just outside the lottery. The Rockets would then, hypothetically, add picks 3, 17 & 23 to the foundation below.

Guards: KPJ/Green/Christopher
    Forwards: Tate/Martin/Hachimura
    Centers: Sengun/Garuba

The Rockets add Paolo Banchero (PF, Duke at pick 3), Kennedy Chandler (PG, Tennessee at pick 17) & Tari Eason (Combo forward, LSU at pick 23).

Milos likes this.