1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Some videos of Yao's workout (UPDATED: Includes EVERY Yao play)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 24, 2010.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Yao looks good, surprisingly good form. He's practiced more than I thought or that year layoff didn't erode his skills much.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

It hurts just to look back and think about who the role players were in the Yao and Tmac era... we have come so far

3. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't think so--from the video posted it sure doesn't look to me like Chuck was backing down Yao. He was playing facing the basket and scoring with lateral movement, head fakes and jump shots. In other words, a forward playing a center.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

LOL. I'm crossing my fingers.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

(((LOL))) Chuckwagon with the sweet stroke from midrange! I'd love to see him work on his jumper and take more of those in games :rolleyes: (((LOL))) J/K

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - if Chuck is shooting for the Rockets, then the defense has done it's job.

DD

7. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

What surgery? He doesn't look like he had a foot surgery to me. What great news for rockets fans. Hopefully he can give us 17 PPG and 8 RPG in about 30 minutes a game.

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Nice to see him moving so well on the court. No signs of limping or favoring the foot.

I'm anxious to see how Martin and (improved) Brooks play with Yao on the floor. It should really open their games up.

9. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch for the video. This made my day.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good to see yao playing basketball again but he looked slow, indecisive, and out of shape.

he should've dominated these two guys... and i mean scored every time, and had no points scored against him.

i'm sure as he gets himself into shape, the rockets will schedule tougher sparring partners for him.

11. bloop

bloop Member

That's exactly why Morey had him in there with the 7 footer as well. Hayes for his part is there to body Yao to work on his conditioning and specifically to show that he could plant his foot and take the contact and how much strength and mobility he retained over the layoff.

Yao does not get blocked up top. He's usually stripped as he's bringing the ball up or when he's grabbing the pass. Once Yao starts his motion I cant remember the last time a Yao fadeaway or a jumper was blocked.

It was actually a smart PR move to feature Hayes since he's our most recognized defender. If Deke was around undoubtedly Morey would have had him in there but Chuck is a legit quality NBA defender against whom Yao can show his stuff

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yao has only ever had problems with smaller, quicker players who can front him and strip him. Like Chuck Hayes.

He dominates every player his own size(or close to).

EDIT: With the exception of Okur that one series. The exception to the rule.

13. djimi

djimi Member

Thanks Clutch for the Vid, good stuff, i think all of us have been waiting for a long time to see this....

14. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Yao worked hard to rehab; he will be in great shape by playoff time. On the other hand, if TMac worked hard to rehab like Yao, he would still be a very good player, not someone who could only get a minimum contract.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am not sure how much tougher than Chuck the Rockets can get? Chuck is an elite defender (the only reason he is in the NBA) and gives centers that were not injured fits, especially if they can't shoot. Let me ask you this then; do you honestly believe Yao can come back a year removed from even just normal basketball and instantly dominate Chuck (an active NBA player who can defend legit bigs) when his conditioning has not recovered yet? If so, that is a pretty farfetched anticipation.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great vid. Yao still looks a little rusty but it looks like he is coming along. If only Chuck could play like that consistently he would be an offensive threat.

Did anyone catch James Cripe with the Dream move at 2:30?

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Yao Ming's people just put the "every play" video up on Yao's official facebook page!!

18. Htown57

Htown57 Member

His touch doesn't appear to be the least bit degraded. His wind...well...it needs some work.

Get on the track, yao!

Or, even better...get in the pool...don't need any pounding on your feet.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's a good feelings to see him running and jumping around. At the same time, every time he lands I cringe a little in anticipation of an injury, lol.

20. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

How priceless was it for Yao to continue doing shooting drills all year long when he couldn't even stand or walk!?! He never lost the touch, which is what makes him so unique - along with his size.