1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Sean Mitchell: Yes, Houston -- it's OK to be happy for Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

awwww 15? That might be a little harsh. It had to have been a few years into sucking that we became a laughing stock! take away 2008-09, and its only like 12.... haha

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's not a rivalry. I just don't like Dallas joining the championship club. I was wishing those fools would stay ringless.

3. ThaShark316_28

This is why Houston is laughed at. The fans are silly as hell. 15 years???

4. choujie

choujie Member

You listed a bunch of reasons to like Cuban as an OWNER. Les could have done that and Rockets might be looking at its 3rd Championship.

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Les just had bad luck with Yao and T-Macs injuries. We would have beaten the Lakers in 09' if Yao had not gone down. Should have beaten Dallas in 05' but got cheated. We did not match up well with the Jazz so no comment on those series.

6. anon3803

anon3803 Member

You sir clearly do not understand the dislike many Rockets fans have for the Mavs. It isn't a rivalry so much as a strong dis-like to hatred depending on who you ask. I think most of it is due to previous dealings with Mavs fans, Mark Cuban, and Jason Terry among others. I have friends that are Mavs fans, but as soon as they start talking basketball. . . someone eventually needs to leave the room.

I root for the Spurs as long as they're not playing the Rockets, I root for the Rangers if they're not playing the Astros, I will even root for A&M if they're playing for a championship and I'm from UT (assuming it isn't UT and A&M or A&M and any other Texas team). I want to see championships come to Texas (even if it's A&M), but I draw the line at the Mavs. Sorry, that's just the way it is, at least for me it is. This finals was pretty painful because I didn't want either team to win. That almost fight in game 6 (if it caused suspensions) could have resulted in a tainted championship was probably the best I could hope for.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Maybe Yao wouldn't have gone down in that series with more help? Maybe we would match up with Jazz better with more talent? It's all about chance. The more talent you have, the better chance you have to win.

Cuban may have signed more bad contracts than Les, but in the end if Cuban is paying 30 mil more, he can afford to have 15 mil bad contracts and still with 15 mil more talent. As an owner, the biggest criteria should be how much money he actually put into the team, not just talking.

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He's probably 15... give 'em a break.

9. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

As much as I hated the Mavs and the Refs when the ROX choked that series away, I have nothing but respect for Dirk and Cuban. My respect for Jason Terry is given grudgingly because he can be a dick....

Nowitiski solidified respect around the league and with fans who were only marginally aware of his talent before this post-season. I'm now impressed with his grit and determination as well.

As for Mark Cuban... I can't think of any owner, in ANY sport that I'd rather play for.... I like having someone on my side with unlimited resources who's also a bit unstable. It's like having a constant wildcard... Kind of like when we had Vernon Maxwell talking trash to MJ.

The Mav's earned respect regardless of how much you hate them. For me, I'm glad that all 3 Texas teams now have rings.

Having said all that... It's WAY past time for the ROX to step back up to Championship contender rather than playoff pretenders. This draft is either going to be Morey's true coming out party or his swan song as GM!!!

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Spending $120 mil on Swift, Taylor, and Cato isn't spending???

11. choujie

choujie Member

That's bad signing only. Did Les go over lux tax line to make up for those bad signings? No.

Basically every team will have some bad contracts at some point. That's not real spending as long as the total team salary is still under the lux tax, which means on par with other teams.

Cuban had bad signing too, but he went over lux tax and signed more quality players to make up for that. That's spending.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

like others have said, this isn't just about the mavs. yes, its a houston vs dallas thing. how do people not understand this? Hell, there was even a big deal for the Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas MLS SOCCER game.

see, this is exactly the reason houston fans feel a certain way about dallas. dallas fans are so arrogant and pompous that it's sickening. the fact that the mavs won a title just adds to that "we're so much better than you that we don't even acknowledge you" attitude. now, they were sort of humbled after the incredibly historic dallas cowboys football season, but this championship run is putting them on a all time high.

13. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Their fans are simply terrible. They have serious self-entitlement syndrome, and they don't care who knows it. This extends way beyond sports for Houstonians.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No. I will not root for dallas. Let us not forget...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd be happier about getting chlamydia than Dallas winning a championship. At least there is a cure for chlamydia. Dallas having a banner is forever - like herpes.

16. acjeitherocket

hell na...F the Ponies

I'm happy the Heat didnt win...but im not "happy" for any1

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You are right, I registered on this site when I was three years old smart ass.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

2009 -- defeated Portland, 4-2, first round
    lost to LA Lakers, 4-3, conference semifinals

2008 -- lost to Utah, 4-2, first round

2007 -- lost to Utah, 4-3, first round

2005 -- lost to Dallas, 4-3, first round

2004 -- lost to LA Lakers, 4-1, first round

1999 -- lost to LA Lakers, 3-1, first round

1998 -- lost to Utah, 3-2, in first round

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=houstonpost

Okay, 14 years make you feel better?

So in 14 years we have made the playoffs 7 times and only won one playoff series.

WE ARE FREAKIN AWESOME! Let me make that deposit on the season tix right now. :rolleyes:

20. VanityHalfBlack

Hahahhahahahahah!!!!