1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Ryan Anderson could cost the Rockets over $100M next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 29, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I still don't know how some of you guys think that Phoenix is a team that would somehow be happy in taking back Ryan at this point, i mean, MCD has done a meh/bad job overall in these past years, i'm the first one to trash him for how bad the Suns have been, but the guy worked with Ainge, he's not exactly someone who is easy to deal with.

And Phoenix btw, is the same team that might still look to throw a max to Capela, and to do that, they would've to trade away salary, not getting back a brick contract which is worse and longer than the expirings they have. That may change if they end up having no chance in free agency and if we throw in at least one 1st rounder, otherwise, you're just setting yourself up to disappointment.

Look for teams that has zero interest in paying big money for free agents, like Atlanta, Chicago.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Attaching assets and sweeteners would be the whole point of a Phoenix trade. Nobody in their right mind thinks a straight garbage-for-garbage swap is plausible for both sides. Everyone knows what we’re trying to do; it’s going to be a pricey proposition for us.

I still think their most probable course of action is drafting Ayton and keeping their core intact. Chandler and Dudley have no future on that team and would be much more valuable to a team like us that needs their expiring contracts. Plus, if push comes to shove, both are playable in a pinch if we decided to keep one or both.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is beloved by teammates and as good rockets fans we owe it to him to love him!
    [​IMG]

yixiixiy and justtxyank like this.
  4. deshen

deshen Member

Honestly, D'Antoni has partial responsibility on Anderson's current situation. Anderson played well before injury. Then D'Antonio did not play him much after he came back. no show in playoffs. Instead, D'Antoni played Luc R. Mbah, He did not play Anderson even in games when team struggled offensively.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, i agree with Tyson and Dudley being more valuable for us, the problems i see here are:

1. Ryan is still not valuable for them, they already have three different pfs as today, and expirings might be valuable for them since they want to play in free agency, Tyson and Dudley are way easier to move than Ryan.

2. we'll likely not have other ways to upgrade the team with a star in the next 18 months if not with a big trade, and that might actually require Ryan's contract so, if we have to throw 1st rounders away to get a star that's good obviously, but if we have to do it to get a couple of old bench guys eh, probably not worth it.

Are we really sure about this though? I mean, Mike role is to put the team in the best condition to win. I'm not exactly a MDA fan, but i'm not sure i can blame him for the Anderson situation. Ryan is a guy who played pretty well for a stretch, than he played very bad for another one...then he got injured, PJ took his spot and MDA never came back on his decision, that has to mean something. Maybe he wanted to set the rotation for the playoffs and make the guys comfortable. Sure, maybe he could've played him here and there, give him some minutes per game, but i think we wouldn't have see him in the playoffs anyway, reality is his defense is poor and simply not decent enough to stay on the floor in some match ups, his shot being broken at home is maybe even a bigger factor, how do you handle that? Overall, at home he's literally unplayable. You might still play him only on the road, but i don't know, costantly changing the rotations in a playoff series...not sure it's worth it. And again, if the Rockets literally didn't play him even with his contract situation well, that tells you something imo.

#165 Vivi, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    wesbound likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/12/17451868/biggest-needs-nba-offseason-eastern-conference

Al Jefferson, Darren Collison, and Lance Stephenson come on down! You and your $24 million combined (only $6 are guaranteed) are the next contestants to be moved in a trade for LeBron!

7. deshen

deshen Member

[QUOTE="Vivi, post: 11820407, member: 60825"Are we really sure about this though? I mean, Mike role is to put the team in the best condition to win. I'm not exactly a MDA fan, but i'm not sure i can blame him for the Anderson situation. Ryan is a guy who played pretty well for a stretch, than he played very bad for another one...then he got injured, [/QUOTE]

I am not blaming anyone, just want to list a few facts. Ryan has the best 3p FG% in this team in the regular season. It is rare case to totally give up on valuable player after he came back in a few weeks from injury, considering this team heavily relies on 3 points. Warriors had to use short rotation because they do not have much depth on bench, especially after Iguodala was injured. Rockets has one of best depth in the leagure. playing short rotation is not to take advantage of depth this team has, at least it is not wise strategically.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Love (if Lebron bolts) and Ryan are two interesting names here then.

I can agree with the last part of your post, but in the end we're not just about shooting 3s, we're also about switching everything on defense, and that without consider that Ryan can't shot at home.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=2146792983

Woj: The pathway in Houston is hard for LeBron & Paul George. They've been creative. ... Their biggest stumbling block in Houston, and this goes back to Carmelo Anthony [from last summer], is finding a home for Ryan Anderson. 2 years, $40M. You'll have to trade at least 2 first round picks. They tried to offer one. That's not happening. They'd have to offer a lot more to get that money off. It's gonna be really hard.

DonKnock, s3ts and Vivi like this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I suspect it will take someone wanting out of their albatross-contract even more that TheGoodGuys could actually utilize. Whiteside? Would work if CC were allowed to sign elsewhere for assets, just as an example. IMO - - if no deal then s-t-r-e-t-c-h replaces s-t-r-e-t-c-h 4.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Send'r to Atlanta.

The Hawks are willing to help teams unload bad contracts to open up cap space. However, the level of compensation they will ask for depends on how much money they’re being asked to absorb. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/scottos-latest-parsons-hawks-t-young-nets.html

"The Atlanta Hawks are open to using their cap space to absorb a bad contract in return for either young asset(s) or first-round draft picks. The worse the contract, the higher the compensation Atlanta would seek."​

Deuce, DonKnock, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Lol Anderson would love it down here in ATL. I’ll even pick him up from the airport if the send him to the Hawks.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. vick

vick Member

Harden is not worth 100m for 1 year.Do whatever it takes to send Anderson packing.If not the chance to beat Golden State is slim to none.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Most hated contract in Rockets History?

It has to be Anderson now. He's surpassed Maloney and Cato.

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Wonder what was going through Les and Morey's head when they gave out that contract.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The Rockets were coming off a 41-41 season and first round exit.

They paid up cause Anderson was willing to listen and recruit Gordon.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

With Atlanta, the Rockets could take Plumlee's crap contract back and by doing that perhaps Atlanta would do a Anderson+1 1st. Rockets taking back a bad contract to mitigate the pain from the other team could help grease the wheels.

pippendagimp and DonKnock like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Les probably decided to see as soon as he saw the Designation Player salary. I'm 90% that's why he put the team up for sale when we traded for CP3.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This reminds me of that parable of "could god create a rock that even he couldn't lift?"

"Can Daryl Morey create a contract even he couldn't flip?"

Come trade deadline I would be shocked if Ryno was here.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

if anything swap him with Lakers for Luol Deng.