1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets will seek Dwight Howard trade... again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2012.

1. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Another back problem superstar from Orlando。No thanks。

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't mind the Rockets trying to get Howard. It's a no-brainer move to make, especially given the fact that he'll be under contract for a full year. His injury should cancel out the longer rental aspect of any trade(20+games vs full 82 games). So if the Rockets had the assets before, they would still have them now.

If the Rockets can get Howard, then their follow-up moves are easy to make. The question is what if they can't get Howard? With the benefit of a full offseason, I hope the Rockets do choose a direction that they were not able to get last year after the voided trade.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

more like Einstein's definition of insanity.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mariachi ROCKET

Fingers and toes crossed. PLease O please Daryl! LOL

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i thnk it's safe to say that's why he opted in....he doesnt want to come here, he wants bright lights, exposure, etc...He doesn't want Houston.

It's going to suck to get him only to see him leave. Thew worst thing to happen to Houston was the big three in Miami. We'd have at least one superstar, if it wasn't for them coming together.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I like this line:

My sentiments exactly, and beautifully written. The last thing I wanted to hear was that we were within a whisper of trading for Howard.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But Houston is the Energy Capitol of the nation!

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Here we go again. Rockets pursue Howard. No success. They lose Dragic and Lee during the process while screwing around with Howard. Another 2 year setback moment brought to you by good old star chasing.

9. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Let me get this straight...

There are people on the BBS who DO NOT want the Rockets to attempt to trade for Dwight and sign Deron Williams? :confused:

Complaining know it all posters, stfu. Morey, geterdun.

10. Pete the Cheat

wrote this in another thread regarding a trade for Dwight:

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hope something happens before FA. Yeah, I'll keep wishing upon a star(pun intended) :)

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Let me just go ahead and throw my negative thoughts out there. This is bs. This is "let's show the fans we're trying" type of publicity stunt. What does him opting in have anything to do with it? Even with him opting in,they could've traded him. Point is, they didn't have the offer they wanted. The 1st offer on the table this summer will be noah and change for howard. Orlando doesn't want him in the east,so that's going on the back burner until later date.

Truth of the matter,the rockets can't offer anything close to the package utah got for williams or even the package denver got for carmello and howard is better than both.

1 person likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, I think it shows he really, really wants the money. He could have come to Houston, sat out with a back injury, and signed with whoever he wanted this offseason. He could get what he wanted as quickly as possible -- just he'd have to do it without bird rights and get 4.5% raises instead of 7.5% raises. So, he took all the punishment of declining his option just so he could get several more millions. Knowing this weakens New Jersey's hand. The threat that Howard will sign with them as a free agent isn't so credible. And, the chance that Howard would re-sign with the Rockets if they rented him is higher than I previously believed.

14. supa

supa Contributing Member

I would imagine Morey tries to pull off the trade on draft day and if not successful goes into July with different plans.

15. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Well said. Also, if this is the offseason that Morey doesn't make his move, will people realize that he is just an above average GM? I think Morey is a good fit for Houston, but to think that he can give away all of these role players away and some picks to land a borderline all-star is not gonna happen.

I'd love to land Howard as much as the next guy, but I just don't see it happening.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So true, we should of home built superstar Rudy Gay and lived on 40% in the playoffs for years to come.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

You'd be surprised at how limited Howard's options may be next offseason. Miami had all the stars aligned correctly for them to sign together. It's almost impossible to duplicate a similar situation. Regardless of how Dwight Howard thinks of Houston today, he may not find a better location and be forced to settle here. Given SA's age, a Dwight Howard-led Rockets with some shrewd moves may move up next to OKC as top contenders in the west. Can't do much better than that.

Either way, it's a much more likely gamble than tanking and praying to draft the next Lebron/Kobe/Howard.

1 person likes this.
  18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What are we looking at? Lowry, Ppat, Martin, and Hou pick for Dwight?

19. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Yes and Yes…

1) Dwight will not sign an extension here and tell Deron he won't so Deron won't come here. 2) Morey will mortgage our next 5 years of draft picks plus our entire roster for Dwight.

so YES i don't want Dwight or Deron because it's not gonna happen so why give up our future picks and young talent like D-mo or Morris and Parsons for guys that don't wanna be here…

i gotta idea.. crazy i'm sure.. how about the old fashion way… play young guys, get high draft picks, clear cap space, sign a couple of guys in the 2013 FA Class, rebuild franchise….

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think its safe to say he wants his cake and he wants to eat it too.

His ideal situation may be New Jersey with Deron at max dollars, but that doesn't look to be possible unless Orlando is going to accomodate him.

If Orlando has made the decision to move Howard if he doesn't sign an extension and New Jersey doesn't win the lottery, that just isn't going to happen for him.

If his ideal situation can't be obtained, the Rockets could and should offer the next best thing: Max dollars, play with Deron.