1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ElBarba

ElBarba New Member

Are there the opportunity to trade lin and asik?

2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

nope..

3. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

It's probably not good to bench your second leading scorer, and your leading assist man. That's just asking for trouble.

4. yummyhawtsauce

I agree. In one QTR, I can't remember which, he gave the ball too much to Harden, it was too late for him in the 4th for him to start making something happen. Should have been more aggressive to score and keep his time energized. Regardless he played well.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

They should have switched Harden to guard CP3. He tries harder when he is up against what people consider to be a top player, and his problem was that he wasn't even trying.

Beverley needs to start for as long as we are doing twin towers. I don't know if it matters as much for other lineups, but twin towers needs his on-ball defense.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Unlike Lin, Bev isn't calling for Asik or Howard to set picks for him every time down. Bev is more of an inside-out player than Lin, which will fit the starters more.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I do think we should do more pick n rolls with Dwight. Seems more effective that way that just letting Howard post up and back his man down. I have no problems with Lin/Howard pick and roll at least one time each possession. Will help them out both.

8. bws

bws Member

Lin fits fine. Good teams and good offenses use screens to tire out defenses and give them different looks and get inside and sometimes kick out passes to perimeter players. Lin is a great different look to Harden and Lin and Harden can play great together. Lin can play either unit and the Rockets won 3 of 4 games essentially with Lin starting.

9. bws

bws Member

The best offense was PnR with Lin to Parsons or Smith last night. PnR works on this team and can work great with Howard. Good teams incorporate what works rather than trying to force something less effective that they can work out in practice. When posting up Howard isn't working, go to PnR through Harden or Lin.

10. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

I was kinda on the fence about Lin off the bench but after watching them play last night, it makes sense

With the starters in a half-court set, there's no real focal point of the offense. I see like a hundred different strategies - motion offense swinging the ball until an open lane appears or a shooter gets open, Harden/Lin/Parsons taking turns attacking, corner ISO's for Dwight, ISO's for Harden, a few pnr's, it's almost like McHale is going through a laundry list of plays trying to figure out what sticks. There's no real floor general

Lin is a non-factor if he isn't allowed to attack or playmake off the pnr. Running with the starters, I didn't see him do much of either last night (and that's not really his fault either, it's a system thing).

11. davek

davek Member

Jeremy Lin look rock solid last night and didn't go linsane in a bad way. Extremely proud of his performance even though we lost. Can't see why he wouldn't be a starter with the way he's been playing. CP3 and Co was absolutely insync...amazing chemistry. I was extremely disappointed with Hardens D...I wish he would put some effort.

12. kakaman

kakaman Member

[​IMG]

I'm not sure the Rockets can bench Lin now that he's doing so well. Doing so may hurt his confidence, which seriously affects his play.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

In what way is now different than earlier? Starting Beverley and Lin off the bench probably results in more total points for BOTH those two players. Beverley gets fed by Harden (or Lin when they play together), and Lin is free to attack when Harden is out. It is a win/win.

14. kakaman

kakaman Member

Jeremy is probably not going to play over 30 min with Beverly starting, more like 20-25.

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I'm guessing 25-30, but it is silly to start complaining until we actually see what happens for a few games.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why? Are you suggesting because Harden will probably always have issues defensively, we need Beverley as a starter to shore up our overall Guards defense?

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wasn't all the "evil things" McHale did last year and the original decision to start Bev supposed to hurt Lins confidence? Hasn't really worked out that way if you ask me, he's played pretty damn well.

Some of you guys don't give Lin the credit he deserves. From what I have seen so far he seems fairly confident in himself and his abilities and I don't think that confidence gets shaken as easily as some believe.

If McHale starts Bev when he gets healthy I still see Lin being just as effective as he has been so far.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

If Chris Paul is on one side of the court, and Reddick is on the other side getting wide open for a shot .... What is Beverley supposed to do, leave Chris Paul to chase after Reddick because Harden got beat off a screen ?

Perimeter defense is not the same as low post defense. One good defender on the perimeter, cannot make up for a bad defender on the perimeter.

19. kakaman

kakaman Member

He's pretty much started every game. We'll have to see what happens when he gets his minutes cut and/or not finishing games.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lin is going to be effective whether he starts or not.

I think that it is important to come out scoring and that would be done better with Lin in the starting lineup. Teams build confidence when they are scoring and running well. Then Bev can come in and change the pace of the game with his D. We had a good offense last year and we should have continued in that direction instead of changing things up. We had a good half court D last year until Asik went out of the game. I think Mchale is trying to tweek things to much instead of just improving on what is already working.