1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Dragic was playing at a very high level. McHale would've been silly to change that up. You can't blame him for Manu sliding under Brooks either.

2. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Smart move...

3. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Or maybe he can be a good, solid, contributing bench player for years like Jason Terry.

That's the problem with too many people on this forums' mindset. I'm sure Lin's interest is not being a role player. I'm sure he's interested in being the best player in the world. Unless he earns what he's interested in, it doesn't matter. If he's the 6th man for two years, and nobody signs him as a free agent to be their starter, that's no fault of the Rockets. That just means he wasn't good enough to earn a starting role with any team. I'm not saying that will be the case, but don't put this on a Rockets organization that's trying to do what's best for the team.

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Slow down.

Who Lin is now is who he'll be after basketball, which I suspect will take him further in life than basketball ever could have. It's kind of refreshing.

5. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

But don't you Know what the obvious factor is?

6. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I don't see the logic that Lin's minutes will increase. It has been stated here on GARM and Mchale also appears to believe that Harden significantly reduces Lin's effectiveness because Lin's skills are redundant when Harden is on the floor. Hence, Lin does not complement Harden and team efficency greatly decreases when they are both on the floor. Harden's floor time was in the mid 30's if I recall. Lets say his floor time was 36 minutes a game. Thus, Lin should only be on the floor for about 12 minutes a game, as the team efficiency plummets when Harden and Lin are on the floor together. That's why Lin is not starting. Why should Mchale put these two on the floor at the same time and risk losing. Lin played very well with Parsons and Asik last year,so they can be on the floor with Lin. So if you dont't start Lin because he is not needed on the floor with Harden present, Lin can only play only a minor roll during the coming year,as efficiency will drop, games will be lost,and possibly a championship.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep. Collison had the opportunity to be a starter, but he just wasnt good enough

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

usage<>minutes

9. zdrav

zdrav Member

I think that's where the "pure" Rockets fans and the so-called LOFs just can't see eye-to-eye. To non-Asians, Lin is just another player who, for some reason, has a die-hard fan base, one that annoyingly seems to exceed the popularity of the Rockets as a team. And since Lin is a decent but not transcendental talent, they think that his popularity is entirely undeserved. Why, maybe even this is a case of reverse racism, dun dun dun! Because Asian guys have it so good in America, right?

Ultimately, we have to be able to separate Lin the Athlete from Lin the Asian American Icon. In my perspective, Lin the Icon has already greatly succeeded. Linsanity alone would've been enough, but he's put in a decent regular season in which he proved he was a legit NBA player, and his preseason was excellent as well. No matter what happens now, nobody should be able to diminish the symbolic importance of what Lin has accomplished. He doesn't need to be Chris Paul in order to make a difference. Anyone who says so doesn't know what hell he is talking about, and he is probably moving the goalposts beyond the horizon because of prejudice.

So we should unshackle Lin from the burden of having to disprove stereotypes. He's already done that. Now let's just try to enjoy him as an athlete.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheJet

TheJet Member

Non superstar players that make "demands" tend to be shown the bench. Or the door.

And your first comment is so racially stereotypical I don't know where to begin.

11. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

He's Asian (17 ppg in April) is not good enough. He has to be the leading defender, score 20 - 25 points a night and never ever have a turnover. I guess if he didnt play like MJ his job is not secured.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I watched every single preseason game, and that 3rd qtr was the only time I saw them doing a successful pick and roll. It was all Harden that qtr though and it was all about fast breaks. I don't doubt they can beat teams with that line up, but I don't think it will work out for the long run and the playoff. The main problem would be Asik meshing with Howard, the 2nd problem is whether Bev can sustain his style of play with increased play time and role.

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

Good post. Lin the basketball player cannot live up to Lin the icon or idea. He's not going to be Linsanity no matter what team, which coach, or what players he's surrounded with.

The problem is that some people cannot separate the two. They expect Lin the basketball player to fulfill what THEY think he is. Not WHAT he is. He's a good player. An important piece to a what looks like a very good team. That's Lin the basketball player as of today.

I doubt anyone would argue what Lin the icon has done. It's a great story and deserves to be cheered and celebrated.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What? The Rockets have always been one of the more popular teams in the NBA without Lin. Yao has done way more for the team than Lin. That's just a fact. Yao also had a larger fanbase than Lin.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

16. Spyckie

Spyckie Member

Don't understand why Asik & Lin are expected to be traded. This team is so deep it is scary and it is because they have 2 defensive giants and 2 offensive creators. If you trade Lin and Asik for a starter PF, the bench looks like last year's weak bench and is a liability.

I would rather have Harden/Parsons/Howard+2 average guys if my second unit has Lin/Asik.

17. yunac010

yunac010 Member

1 person likes this.
  18. tada

tada Member

Or at least Lin should demand trade, just like Asik did, and maybe McHale will start both Lin and Beverly together instead of the soon to be failing twin tower experiment. From my point of view, Beverly and Jlin combo plays much higher level than Asik and Howard combo. However, McHale is only infatuated with big men and prefers to experiment with twin tower.

Howard and Asik can't play together, simple as that. Both don't have any mid range game and would ruin the spacing for our wings. Both are not old school centers like Hakeem and Ewing with strong offensive games...

Plus having two Bigs clog the lanes kills driving lane for Harden. You will see Harden forcing three after three. Harden was able to make tough three shots during preseason, but regular season will be different.

19. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

No one knows for sure, but if Lin the icon has succeeded, then I'd have no qualms about this.

I'm from NY and Eli Manning has this ridiculous following so I know the feeling. This message board certainly has it's share of crazies that think Lin is the second coming of Jordan. But make no mistake that I think his absolute ceiling is an above average point guard. He can be a good one if he ever learns how to be more efficient.

Some LOFs are nuts, but not all of us are :) It's a reason why I don't post here. I'm a LOF not a Rocket fan. However, I am a Rocket follower. Calling yourself a fan of another team because of one player is an insult to the existing fan base.