1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This all seems very strange and hard to believe, but the case seems pretty strong.

If this is true, then the NBA is in a very sad state. The idea that the Rockets had to agree to hamper their franchise in the future to get Dwight to sign here is so strange I can't wrap my head around it.

If Dwight wanted to play here, then why does his agent even get a say in anything?

So basically, if Morey didn't agree to Fegan's "demand" list, then Fegan would have "forced" Dwight to sign elsewhere?

Why would Morey agree to such a thing. If Dwight wants to be here, how the hell does Fegan have so much god damn leverage? Seems very strange but whatever.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Technically, he's probably not leaving all that much of that 30M on the table. Once he signs his next contract, take the amount of year 1 and subtract 30M from it, and that's how much it cost him to leave the Lakers.

3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Isn't the tax rates different also between Tx and LA? So whilst the figure may be a gross difference, the net is much less. (or so I believe).

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Dan Fegan is a ****.

And ***** gon' ****.

...for the curious, it rhymes with "bunt".

5. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

les should start paying off agents

6. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

A well-written article with strong arguments. Very interesting indeed Clutch. Thanks.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

good insights...

...woulda rather seen the article a couple months ago, instead of dealing with 'the summer of Morey is an idiot...' threads.

maybe some of our plethora of "insiders" coulda laid out the rationale at an earlier date...

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Additional thought...

I wonder if Fegan 'conned' Cuban into that offer sheet.. telling him that Rox were gonna match regardless, and giving Cuban the opportunity to screw Morey with that crappy contract (for stealing Dwight)- only to have it backfire....

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I guess that's why we refused to include Parson's to get Rajon Rondo.

Well, I am glad Chandler's not on the team (two-faced/poor defender/back problems), but it sucks that we're not rolling into the season with Rondo locked down for the year.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So the lesson is: don't sign Fegan players unless they're top 10 players in the league???

11. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

According to papa few folks on NBA reddit, Clutchfans is a "terrible amateurish fan site with illegitimate and biased reporting, and if you go against Clutch, you get banned. That's why everyone has to suck his dick."

Thoughts on this?

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I've never looked at the nba reddit, but it seems to follow the formula of being the stupidest place on digital earth shared by the rest of it.

But tbh the only people i've heard play the you get banned for going against clutch were the fans of he who shall not be named.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL! True

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Is that the website where the hacked cellphone Jennifer Lawrence nude photos were posted? Sounds like the Wild West of the internet.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Fegan has made so much money over the years that this is really all just regular money to him. My guess is that he did this deal for a friend, or someone he considers a friend (Cuban) and who while in his long career of dicking teams, probably has very few. Thing he doesn't realize is Cuban uses people the same way he does. If Fegan doesn't make Cuban happy, Cuban will say, bye-bye "friend" and cut the dude out. 2 pieces of crap who use each other but call each other "friends" is pretty sick.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I love Dwight and can't wait to sign him to a 5 year deal.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Whiners gonna whine.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All the old timers know that Fegan is the Antichrist. He was Dream's new agent when he went to Toronto. He was also Chris Webber's agent when he played us. The reason Fegan doesn't like Morey much is because, he can't be played as easily. In this case, I think Morey let Fegan play him for the greater good knowing full well the risk.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont remember the Lakers even trying to attempt a sign and trade. That wouldve been a win-win for everybody. Of course Fegan wanted to align Dwight's free agency parallel to #25 though.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If any normal team was holding Parsons on the contract he's on with 3 years left, and the team wasn't in a direction where they could compete for a title with the roster & talent they had, yes absolutely I could see a team trading Parsons on that contract for Ariza on his contract. If Parsons is performing at a lower level than he was the past two years you might even have to attach a pick to move that contract.

That type of deal would be eerily similar to the one the Rockets pulled off when they traded Ariza the first time for Courtney Lee.

The only difference is Cuban thinks his team is enough of a title contender to give Parsons that contract & the fact that they have strategically altered their finances in Dallas to have flip flopped contracts with their key players.

In the NBA, contract vs. on the court value is a real thing to not shrug off. Now Parsons will forever be linked to his contract. You can't discuss Chandler Parsons the player without SOMETHING being mentioned with his contract. Very similar to when the Rockets signed Jeremy Lin two summers ago & to this day, that contract is what is mentioned almost always first when his name is brought up.

1 person likes this.