1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This is what i don't understand. Wouldn't it be better for Dwight, if CP was locked in a year longer? I'm not sure he could just assume he'd be let out and definitely resigned by Houston?

So did Fegan keep this from Dwight?

3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I'm sure he knew or found out about it after the fact. That's why after Morey signed guys like Ariza, Dorsey, and Adrien Dwight made the statement about having guys who are willing to do what it takes to help the team win. He knew that Parsons had his own agenda and was all about himself.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

BTW...Clutch mentions one very interesting tidbit. Dwight wanted to come to Houston, and Fegan wanted Dwight to Dallas. The Rockets were willing to do anything to get Dwight to Houston. Fegan used that opportunity to get as many future concessions from the Rockets as possible. As Clutch mentions, letting Parsons out early wasnt the only stipulation.

If Fegan's bromance with Cuban is real, there is zero reason to doubt that they both played a role with the ish that happened this offseason. Cuban knew that the Rockets were positioning themselves to make one more big move this offseason. He was hell bent on preventing that since the Rockets acquired Dwight. Cuban using his closer ties with Fegan orchestrated a contract that he knew Morey could not match. I'm more than sure that Morey got wind of this, which makes me think this is why he went after Kyle Lowry the moment FA started. NOT BOSH, and NOT CARMELO. Kyle Lowry!!!

5. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I looked up some stuff on Fegan. The Rockets aren't the only team he screws with it seems. I found one statement in these blogs to be interesting concerning him.

An unnamed agent, meanwhile, described Fegan as “crazy” and further said, “He’s known for picking up guys in their contract years,** and that’s taboo in our industry. He did that with so many players, including Varejao. He’s not well-liked among other agents. . . . His biggest problem is that he doesn’t care about relationships. It can’t always be about the money.”

Hmm, didn't Parson's sign with him in a "contract" year. I think the biggest issue between him and Morey is that when they step in the room, they both see themselves as the smartest one there. Fegan has a law degree from Yale, Morey has an MBA from MIT. They both have a strategy and it causes them to but heads.
    http://tedi31.blogspot.com/2007/12/dan-fegan-anderson-varejaos-agent-takes.htmlhttp://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/no-4-from-odds-and-ends-um-dan-fegan/

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Knew something else was behind it....Morey is still the GOAT

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

What's interesting is that Dan's clients seem to be a whos who of overpaid players.

Amare Stoudemire
    Chandler Parsons
    Nene
    Kevin Martin
    Martell Webster
    Al Harrington
    Larry Sanders

All of these guys have (or will) underperformed their contracts.

Also of interest, several of his clients were/are rockets or have been rumored to be pursued by Houston in the past.

Dwight Howard
    Chandler Parsons
    Kevin Martin
    Courtney Lee
    Nene (almost signed)
    Rubio (rumored to be a favorite of Morey)
    Stoudemire (almost traded for)
    Varejao (rumored to be favorite of Morey)

I'm not sure what or if this means anything, but it's interesting.

8. alethios

alethios Member

no doubt Fegan convinced Cuban to work the CP contract in order to stick it to Morey. I never trusted Cuban to be ethical.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nah, Bosh was out of the country...he wasn't entertaining offers until Lebron made his decision. Melo set dates with teams, so there was no point in visiting him first.

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I wonder why Woj doesn't report stuff like this he usually writes torch pieces on people but nothing on Fegan.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes since it is every agents dream to have their clients play for somebody who does not overpay......

Lakerfan, let the grown ups talk.

12. halfling131

halfling131 Member

Great writeup about some shenanigans that many of us suspected were true. If this story blows up, do the Rockets / Fegan get punished by the NBA?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Spot on.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Parsons was given 46 million$ reasons to let his agent steer him to where he wanted him to get paid. lol

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

That's a good analysis you provided. It will be interesting to see moving forward of the names that expire this year or end of 16 season..if any of them we try to add on smaller contracts or trade for.

16. cyberx

cyberx Member

Clutch is on 100%.

This was very hush hush since Morey would get in A LOT of trouble as well... Possibly lose draft picks etc.

17. jump shooter

I hate Cuban but he did nothing unethical. In fact Morey stuck it both to New York and Chicago on similar poison pill contracts. You gotta think some GMs and owners have a huge target on Moreys back for being so aggressive.

18. jump shooter

Yes the Rockets could get fined big time if there was a wink wink deal between Houston and Fegan.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

So basically this is all on Fegan. Fegan's a douche, scumbag & all the above. Morey's simply being singled out just for being the genius he is. Every player that passed up on Houston this offseason was the result of Dan Fegan. Fegan is such a bully!

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

If you've ever worked with a head hunter or recruiter most have no interest in what the job environment is like for you. They will often times try to place you in the environment that you get paid the most so that they get paid more. A lot of jobs that pay a substantial amount more than their peers, from my experience, usually have a terrible work environment. So Fegan could give a flying F about Dwight playing for the "smartest GM in the league" because he gets a cut of Dwight's pay and if Dwight stayed in LAL it'd be a bigger %. If he's good buddies with Cuban then he can manipulate Cuban to overpay his other clients therefore getting a bigger fee.

1 person likes this.