1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets have been trying to trade Christian Wood since the 2021 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 19, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

frankly I am surprised that his value was as tanked as the team’s.

I frequently said the problem with CW was that he was signed to a very different destination than he arrived at. Perhaps I was mistaken?

I expect CW to be a different player up-and-down when even he cannot perceive himself to be Option #1.

2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I appreciate the article but I think the asset management part of it was overly simplistic.

If you really want to fully track we basically traded 2 years of RoCo and 3 years of Russ for two years of Wood, #26 in this draft, Sengun, Garuba, and 3 years of Wall. I’ll take that. Weirdly Russ somehow fetched positive value and RoCo was only worth cap relief in subsequent trades.

It’s fair to say Stone should’ve chosen Levert over Dipo. But even putting aside whether thinking Dipo could get his form back was smart, it’s not as clear either. We got that swap from Miami which ended up not being worth anything but at the time looked like a reasonable possibility to move from the late twenties to the mid teens in this draft. Also, if Cleveland doesn’t make the playoffs this year Indy won’t get a first. And I’m not sure Levert would have had that same value at this trade deadline playing on this Rockets team with Jalen, Gordon, KPJ, etc.

And with Theis the signing looks pretty pointless in retrospect but they basically got out of the deal without any real asset cost so it was just a waste of a few million of Tilman’s money.

#42 ChillyPete32, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    TheBeastSystem and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A lot of stat geeks forget that the most important stat in all of basketball is your teams W-L record.

If your team's leading guy is leading his team to the worst record in the NBA then that isn't good...unless that guy is like 20 years old...

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is what pissed me off so much the season before last, months before the Harden trade and immediately after with that stupid 6 game winning streak. Tucker and Harden should have been traded at the same time. Even later EGo and Tucker should have gone to GSW when they were looking at dumping Wiggins. I saw everywhere when we acquired Dipo that he was supposed to be part of another trade to send him to the Knicks. Should have got Jarrett Allen that had tremendous value at deadline. When Wall was playing it may have been possible to flip him for more movable contracts. Anyone can tank but we have so **** the bed on asset management with everything else literally.

kjayp and randerson like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He joined Houston and immediately pouting James Harden was his example. I wonder if that example effected things for him while he was in Houston? Maybe it didn't, but who knows...

BamBam likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This league is really down on toxic players unless they've proved themselves to be all-star caliber level players.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If they’ve been trying to trade Wood since last draft and no one except Dallas offered a first then Woods pouting and play last season really didn’t affect his value much.

Seems like teams in general are not all that high on him.

This past season probably just reinforced their valuations.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its not the problem that we got less than we could, the problem is we lost valuable playing time for development of the young on c wood and lost a year of watching great basketball instead watching an uninterested non competitive player playing for rockets and statpadding

Aruba77 and fattz like this.
  9. Asian Sensation

I won’t even care if he becomes an All Star in Dallas.

[​IMG]

10. fattz

fattz Member

It’s more than the cap space though because the roster is limited too. OKC is going to have a lot of talent they can’t hold on to because of roster space. Every FRP comes on league set 3 year minimum deal. That plus the bad contracts. This will quickly become a mess they can’t get out of. Hopefully we can poach some talent from them.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'll give props to Dallas that they got Wood on his contract year. He SHOULD try his hardest this upcoming season but we all know hes going to pout himself straight to the bench.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am a bit confused about those disappointed in asset returns. We got a FR pick and all contracts we took back are expiring ones. We also cleared the way for Sengun to start. Were you guys expecting a lottery pick or all-star in return?

AroundTheWorld and xaos like this.
  13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

No, they didn't give up a 1st round pick. They gave up the rights to Isaiah Stewart, picked at #16. Stewart has averaged 8ppg for Detroit.

Point being, acquiring CWood wasn't a setback for the team. He was serviceable and was a risk worth taking as he was potentially on the up-and-up and paired with Harden, in another universe, was a good move, conceptually. I put no blame on Stone for making this move. Not everything works out especially dealing with primadona athletes.

Yes, it would have been nice that he wasn't a douche and he could have increased his own value but it is what it is.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If he was actually a professional then I don't think his value would be as low. But he constantly pouts and quits on the team.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It was the draft rights to Stewart who obviously hadn't played yet at the time. It's fine if you don't want to call that a pick, it's semantics. What we received back was a heavily protected pick which obviously has lower value as it is either unlikely to be conveyed soon or at all. Then we got the 26th pick in return for Wood later.

I don't thing getting Wood was some setback either. I just think the whole in/out transaction is a wash.

My point was that we could have managed our cap space to get picks back over that time period which would have certainly been more useful for us today.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Can't disagree with that. Just that the CWood transaction, specifically, wasn't so bad despite that so many folks around here feel he was a total failure. He wasn't a total failure. He just wasn't a good fit. When that happens without taking a step backwards, I call that a win.

I actually think he can flourish in Dallas, assuming he doesn't find a way to self-implode.

pmac likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

essentially what I suggested is that as a #3 option he might be a better teammate and person with the accountability demands from Luka and Brunson

rather than

the diva role of #1 optionhood.

the gent can play this game. Physically.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL wood's apparent value gauge around here pure laughable from day 1

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I cant really complain about acquiring CWood... it looked like a good move... and if his head was on straight it might have been something...

Otoh... letting a guy sit for a couple years - while he eats up 40+M a year is the epitome of poor asset management...

It's hard to sell a car when you got it sitting on blocks in your backyard... smh...

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Odd to downplay the "value" of the pick we received given we were able to turn it and another heavily protected pick into Sengun.