1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans]Rockets fire Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 14, 2020.

?

HIstory

1. Ancient

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Repeats itself

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. DJ

DJ Member

Adelman was the superior coach. He got more success out of the team than most other coaches could have. The first year he coached we went on the 22 game winning streak. He made great adjustments in season like starting a rookie Scola over Hayes, benching Mike James and Steve Francis (as a fan of both I hated this move at the time and was scratching my head over this one), and playing the young rookies: Brooks, Landry, even Mike Harris contributed. Because Adelman trusted young players in the regular season, they were able to contribute in the playoffs. In that post-season we dealt with a lot of injuries to Alston and Yao and still pushed the Jazz to 6 games in 2008. The next year Brooks, Landry and Scola played critical roles in the 2009 playoffs. Because he believed in young players and gave them a chance to earn playing time, he was able to maximize their talents better than any other Rocket coach. Also, the way Adelman integrated Artest to the team was remarkable.

For those people critiquing Adelman for missing the playoffs in 2 of the 4 years, we were in rebuild mode (losing both Yao and TMac) and no one expected us to have a winning season. We overachieved with a roster full of young players like Courtney Lee, Brooks, Lowry, Terrence Williams and Budinger and almost made the playoffs. Adelman was not to blame here.

topfive likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought it was time for JVG to go, and I loved Rick Adelman's offense - still do.

Now, I would love to see JVG back.

DD

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why, though? I'm honestly curious why so many people want him back.

Personally, if we hire the guy, I'd like nothing better than to see him succeed wildly and add a big accomplishment to his Rockets' career.

I don't see it happening, though. Not with the coaching job he did last time around.

I love listening to JVG during broadcasts, but I don't want to see him on the sidelines with my team.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still never saw how Morey and JVG would work but now Morey is gone
    that opens the door to JVG