1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets face critical offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sportsfan

sportsfan Member

with or without Lin, Rockets will not be champion, Howard is too soft compared to Kobe and Lebron.

When you watch the series, do you realize that Howard's post play and Harden's PNR are not compatible? Adding third star will not solve the fundamental issue.

2. solodolo

solodolo Member

Howard ? Oh shut up . He was like the only one who showed heart . Smh

3. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

Howard and Harden PnR was super effective, why they stopped doing it was the main question.

What we really lack is the wing defender. I remember on CP's rookie season when he began to take the starting role over Budinger, McHale said that CP was a better defender, it seems as if CP has gone away from that and becoming more of an offensive player. How are we supposed to get a good wing defender when CP will refuse to sit on the bench. Look at teams with elite wing defenders, they always start over their scoring counterparts. Leonard over Ginobili, Sefalosha over Harden. Battier over Budinger. Raja bell over Barbosa...will CP accept a bench role? or will he become an elite defender?

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why does Howard get such a bad rap from fans and media?

He's not a loudmouth jersey chewing showboat (a la Kobe) or a guy seeking to be the people's hero (a la Lebron). He is just a big goober that wants to win. He put up a monumental effort in this series. Anyone who objectively watched this Rockets series had to be impressed by his consistency and his quiet intensity.

This article is spot on in terms of what needs to be addressed. If I could pick one thing, I'd pick wing defense. Wing defense. Wing defense.

5. kunene

kunene Member

I think one of the most important acquisitions we can make this summer is signing Shane Battier. He'll bring great defensive leadership and mentorship to this team. He's a proven veteran, helped Miami win a couple rings, and he's played under great defensive coaches and teams (JVG, Hubie Brown, Miami Heat). Even if he doesn't play lots of minutes he'll help our young players and instill some defensive discipline in them. He was never the most athletic or best scorer on the floor. But there's a reason he's successful and teammates love playing with him. We need him if we're going to keep McHale.

6. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Melo puts us in the WCF.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

As a leader, as a defender, and with consistency and attitude. It was clear that Howard was the only one of the two the Rockets could actually count on.

He will never be as good as Dwight if he only plays one side of the court. In addition, centers are much more valuable than guards in general.

I do agree: the Rockets will go only as far as Harden, but that is because it is not Dwight holding them back.

Harden needs to at least show some sort of defence consistently, or he will never be near D12's influence on the court. Even if he does, Harden might still fall up short. Do people really forget he was a consensus 3rd best player in the league before injury, and he just put up some of the usual domination numbers in the playoffs.

He spurned the Lakers (therefore the media), and many people still have an impression because of the Dwightmare.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I actually think the Lakers would be a good trading partner for both Asik and Lin. They'd make them more competitive and they have big expiring deals. Could help them go after a star in 2015, weather that be in a trade or signing someone.

Then again, I guess they don't really have anyone to trade seeing as the only guys on contract with them is Kobe and Sacre...

9. wise_man

wise_man Member

From the very start of the season I was worried about our three point shooting and somehow I was baffled to see morey didn't make any moves to fill that void or mchale didn't gave covington, cannan, or troy Daniels early opportunities...also I can see a rift between the players soley because of parsons undeniable love and protection of lin...everyone knows lin needs to go....parsons came out and said we play better without hardeen when we beat da spurs and mavs....then he comes out and says he is by far the better small forward in this series which only pumped up batum to average 26 points in the bext 4 games. Then parsons said they are clearly better than portland and deserves to move on to the next round.....in my opinion ..ur a first half player who just dissappears in the second half.u cant play defense..ur a loud mouth just praising urself and above all ur messing up our locker room.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Lakers can help the Rockets cause simply by taking on either (or both) contracts and getting a draft pick out of it since they only have 2-3 players under contract. Unfortunately I doubt Mitch Kupchak would do Morey a solid like that.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Facing a critical offseason, the Rockets managed to retain the services of Mchale. Starting off with a "bang" (-Mike Breen). Im gonna go out on a limb and say that getting another superstar player (exception of Lebron) will not change the Rockets fortune. If adding Dwight to a roster relatively unchanged netted no additional postseason wins, that should be very telling. Considering we were matched up with a team with a PG playing in his first postseason, we really underachieved. How does adding a third superstar(while this time losing valuable pieces) help us get a title?

If the Rockets are to change its fortune, they must be prepared to build around James and Dwight with a coach that puts them in the best position to win. Sadly, there is clearly a divide among the stars in regards to this very point. Dwight feels bad that Mchale is the one that recruited him here, but then turns around and gets him fired. Probably why he supports keeping him here. Harden after playing 2 years with Mchale realizes that it is hard to listen to him bc he keeps drawing ducks on the clipboard. Hence why he goes off calling his own number/plays whenever he wants. This rift gets bigger as the team realizes they arent improving...And sadly this is what I predict happens.

If James Harden learns to play defense, and Dwight develops a jumpshot this offseason(both unlikely), the Rockets have a chance to be better than this year. But will they be favorites to win/contend for the title?? The answer should be a resounding no...

12. albuster

albuster Member

Very well done. The post is well written and the analysis is spot on without the common reverential bow to the GM. Hope to read more of this in the future.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're reading too much into it. Clutch wrote something similar last summer, IIRC. Just take it as, they''ll make an honest effort to get a deal done, but like always, Morey isn't likely to trade someone just for the hell of it.

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Lin a Lakers? It's possible if the Lakers couldn't sign anybody. Then they want to commit to expiring contracts.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Inflicting the LOFs on the Lakers would make me almost giddy.

16. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

If we do go and get Rajon Rondo, we're gonna need a stretch four. After analyzing Rondo's highlights, a lot of his dimes were to Bass for open jumpers. This particularly sparked my interest because Morey's game plan are 3's and FTs which is the opposite of Rondo's style of play. Doesn't seem like a logical fit, but Morey has surprised us more often than not.

17. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Eric Bledsoe would be nice plus 2 things free agent and you can buy low because of his injury.

18. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Bledsoe is not on the market trust me

19. i3artow i3aller

Feel like PHX definitely matches any offer for Bledsoe, but I do think he'd be a better get than Lowry/Rondo. Doesn't help that PHX has a great medical staff/trainers, or that his knee injury was actually minor. In the end, dude healed up up like Wolverine. Still, I would be on cloud 9 if he somehow landed with the Rox. It would feel like payback for Phoenix stealing Dragic and would sure up our PG situation once and for all.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Parsons ASKING for a multi year deal at 7-10 million? Haha... funny... you are really going to be disapointed....