1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets face critical offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. do work son

do work son Member

instead of signing melo or bosh for the max, we could sign 2 guys that equal out to 18 million.

lowry + frye?

lowry harden parsons frye howard

only draw back is the bench becomes: beverly canaan covington daniels johnson gentile capela dmo t jones.

not one consistent thing about that bench.

i'd also like to see anthony morrow in a rockets jersey, but that's a discussion for another day

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That makes way more sense than Melo. It solidifies our two weakest positions, pushes Bev and Jones to the bench which gives the Rockets a ton of depth, and adds some toughness to a soft team.

But good luck convincing Morey and Les whose philosophy seems to revolve around acquiring stars even though that hasn't worked for this franchise since the Drexler trade.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets interested in Gasol and Ariza?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

You have to have plan E, F, G...

LeBron ... Not even returning calls from teams
    Love... Long shot (not happening)
    Melo... Long shot (not happening)
    Bosh .... Not happening
    Lowry ... Miami bound

Gasol... NY bound?

Uhuhhh Ariza? Will demand big money..

Morey: "Alright Mr. Pelican GM, we will just take Ryan Anderson and a bowl of his mother in laws fried rice.. I hear it is healthy and good."

Morey: "Keith (Jones), where is that Valium? Want Sonic? I feel like getting fat."

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Gasol. His game will age gracefully because of his skill.

Ariza....I am afraid the Rockets would have buyers remorse as soon as the contract was signed. They already did this dance. Not sure Ariza will get any better. Has the look of someone that will just coast if he got that contract.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I suppose Ariza is more appealing if the Rockets trade Parsons for Love and SF spot is available. But still,eh.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Is Ariza still quick enough to guard point guards? Then could run a big lineup with Ariza at the 1 next to Harden in certain situations.

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

<iframe src='http://streamable.com/e/9m6r' width='560' height='305' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling='no'></iframe>

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here we are almost a year later, with the playoffs beginning tomorrow night, and look who's with the Rockets. When Clutch wrote this column, we were in the grips of a massive collective depression. There was rampant speculation about the off-season from Clutch and everyone else, and I don't think anyone predicted the group who would end up on our roster at the end of this regular season. Certainly no one thought that the Rockets would be the 2nd seed in the West, winning 30 games more than they lost. Even less likely was that we would accomplish this truly remarkable feat with an absurd number of games missed by players throughout the roster, some season ending, some resulting in missing huge numbers of games. No one, to my knowledge, predicted all the players Morey would acquire during the long journey this franchise took after Clutch wrote his column.

Yet here we are. Time to get a grip and see how this ride plays out. I'm optimistic. Of course, I was optimistic last year just before the playoffs. Here's hoping the results are far different. I'm toasting the Rockets with a cup of coffee. The Rockets and a big thank you to Clutch for giving us ClutchFans. I can't imagine being a Rocket fan without this place. Not any longer.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nice comment Deck. Also to think of all the criticism that Harden was getting at the end of last season especially with his defense which became the running joke of sports bloopers much less the NBA. What a turnaround season for him on that end(even though most of the criticism was narrative and blown out of proportion) that ultimately led to him being a legit MVP even though he probably wont win it.

And to add that alot of folks thought that if there was a coaching upgrade, the Rockets should jump on that as well. McHale, for all the criticism, did a hell of a job with this roster to manufacture wins in the regular season, and did a great job with getting this team, whoever was on the court that night, to buy in and really push hard for wins. As much of an issue as I have with him as a coach, he deserves praise for doing a hell of a job this year as well.

Then their is Morey... Corey Brewer (hell of a trade), Josh Smith (patience to not splurge on BAE payed dividends), D-Mo (patience to not trade last year and prior when he hadn't reached his potential), and the Terry trade (to believe the Rockets actually got PAID TWO 2nd round picks for taking him). He's not perfect (missed on getting a starting caliber PG this year), he's still one hell of a GM.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Whether the player scores or not, I trust Ariza as a shutdown perimeter defender over almost any NBA player. LeBron may be the exception. Maybe.

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Agree but I would add Leonard to that list.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dragic is opting out; do we go after him or no?

15. hakeemthagreat

Wtf? Didn't realize till mid article this was from last year:rolleyes:

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seriously.... He's making 7 mil per next year. Of course he's opting out.

And no we should not waste our time. The Rocket have already recruited him at the trade deadline, and his insistence on being traded to Miami, LA, or NY meant he's only signing there. If there was even in inclination of resigning he would have been a Rocket right now.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sorry, I meant he's headed towards FA

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I think seeing the Rockets being successful in the post season may sway his opinion on us. If we can create the cap space for him I say go for it but that probably mean Smith, TJ, Brewer has to be moved, right? Hopefully not Brewer.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

No, don't waste time being leverage for someone who's not interested in being on a winning team. Let him go to the Lakers, Knicks or stay and rot in Miami

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Of course Morey will make phone calls to his agent in case Goran changes his mind about playing for crappy organizations like the Knicks and Lakers, which is actually realistic.