1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets face critical offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You think the Rockets are the only team with whom Carmelo would sign a contract? What about the Bulls?

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There will be many teams with cap space if Carmelo becomes a FA. But only a handful he would sign with, with a chance for an NBA title. Chicago clearly is one. Houston another (assuming they could move Lin/Asik).

But at that point, the decision is up to Carmelo and not the Knicks.

3. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

My dream scenario this off season would be;

Sign and Trade or find a way to sign Monroe.
    Move Lin and Asik out.
    Get Tucker, James Jones, Okafor and Mills.

Some of those are more likely than others, but it is a dream.

Howard, Monroe, Jones as the bigs.
    Tucker as a defender, Mills can replace the scoring of Lin

I know Monroe is restricted but maybe the price he is willing to accept to play for us is cheap enough for us but more than Detroit is willing to pay with so much $$$ in Jennings, Smith and Drummond (future contract), knowing full well they can't win with all 3 on the floor together.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have to believe that Carmelo will leave NY.. They are not getting better anytime soon. I do think Jackson came turn them around but that is probably a 2 year or 3 year thing. Carmelo is at the top of his game but for how long?

I know that Carmelo thought of Houston as an acceptable destination before Yao went down. It probably wasn't his primary option.

We suck defensively. Melo probably doesn't help that but he is better than Jones at fulfilling the power forward role on defense and the boards at this point IMO. Jones having the advantage on the offensive boards. Offense was the problem sometimes last year and Melo is the premier offensive player in the game. Better than Harden. This should give James Harden the ability to use energy on both sides of the floor. Also makes it easier for Harden. This is the one scenario that I can see PatMan being our championship level point guard. He just has to play defensive pest and hit the open three. We are one defensive wing and a defensive big man away from a ring with

Howard/Motiejunas
    Anthony/Defensive rebounder
    Defensive wing/Parsons
    Harden/Daniels
    Bev/cheap vet/Canaan

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Rose can NEVER be MVP again. I'm not saying he cannot be an All-Star again, but MVP status, never. We saw what happened to Grant Hill. We hope as NBA fans that medical science has improved enough, but, I'm not betting my career as an NBA player on it. Melo. Houston. Now.

6. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

I am really hoping we make a way to bring in either Carmelo or Rondo. I can see the advantages and disadvantages to both players (defense - 3pt shooting). Either one would make this team better despite those limitations. I don't think getting Love is a possibility and going for Milsap would make us slightly better but probably not "beyond 2nd round in the playoffs" better. Having said all that, offense will always be there. There has to be a determination to lock down on the defense end or ant roster moves we make will be pointless.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

A die-hard Rockets fan couldn't take it anymore after another first-round exit and took the plunge into the Grand Canyon. He will be missed.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

R.I.P :(

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Actually, that was just me- I thought about it, but the thought of never seeing another Rockets game was too much for me to bear. Instead, I saw a guy wearing a Blazers cap and pushed him over the edge. :grin:

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

You did him a favor!...:eek:

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Asik for a first rd pick. Pick to MEM for Courtney Lee

Parsons, Lin, Motiejunas, Casspi, Rockets first rd pick to MIN for Kevin Love and Corey Brewer

MLE: Spencer Hawes
    BAE: Patty Mills

Mills/Bev/Caanan
    Harden/Daniels
    Lee/Brewer/Garcia
    Love/Jones/Covington
    Howard/Hawes

12. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

There are definitely teams that want him. And we could easily get rid of Lin if Morey would be willing to accept much less for him. No picks needed.

13. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

It is the belief that shooting layups and three point shots is more efficient, with total disregard for whether the shots are open or contested.

Or in other words, under "Moreyball", it's better to force a layup or 3pt shot than to shoot a wide open midrange shot.

The record of 9th seed finishes and first round exits suggest the contrary.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And I will say again. People still have no idea what the analytical approach or "Moreyball" really is.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You taking things too literally and believing we are bound to those principles, which there is no evidence for, is an indictment on you, not the organization.

16. YourSecretLover

we need some veterens on our team

andre miller for vet min anyone?

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Or maybe that's a picture of CF poster Rockhead?

1 person likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The Bulls theoretically have the assets to get Anthony. However living in Chicago, and following the Bulls, I have serious doubts they are willing to make the moves needed to either trade for him or straight out sign him. They would need to move Gibson for no salary, amnesty Boozer, move Dunleavy and not bring over Mrotic and trade their #1's for future #1's... Also they have their glue swing player coming up on free agency and wanting major money.

I don't see Reinsdorf doing it. A trade isn't much easier... And that is assuming they don't make a play for Love.

Let's just put it this way, the Bulls beat writer here said that the Bulls hope to get him for a discount of 14 million a year... No way he leaves money on the table from a better team (Houston) to go to Chicago... Also the uncertainty of Rose and Thibs shouldn't be discounted.

The Rockets will be very blessed to get either Anthony or Rose... But even more so for Anthony to end up in Chicago.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Actually Moreyball doesn't preach contested 3's over mid range shots. Also "Moreyball" has been used in Boston ( played a big part in getting the big 3 together and drafting Rondo) and is used by teams such as Miami and San Antonio. The idea of "Moreyball" is to use every bit of available data to get a more complete picture, to observe and be creative and open to ideas that are against commonly held beliefs.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Anybody else wondering why they took the red pill?