1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Recap: With offensive trends continuing, Rockets blown out in Game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Jimes

Jimes Member

I think if Chandler doesn't pick up that bogus 3rd foul, we would have taken the lead in the 2nd as he would have hit some of those wide-open 3's we missed and we would've had better d on Durant. Who knows how much that would have shifted confidence and opened up driving lanes a little bit.

That gives me the most hope (along with the fact Lin & somewhat Harden couldn't have played worse) for future games.

2. albuster

albuster Member

Although I have not been a fan of the McHale hire and still rue the loss of Adelman, it is not really fair to blame whatever failures the team have solely on McHale. He is playing the cards he has been dealt and it is even surprising that the team got this far. The team lacks talent and the coach has no choice but to play his players the way he is forced to.
    Of course, there have been many times during the season that McHale may have made bad decisions and his coaching record is not exactly sterling, to say the least, but he was hired to coach this team and the FO and fans have to live with it.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe you were able to watch that game again. That's dedication.

4. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

Mchail could have done something better. His putting harden, Jeremy and Beverly on the court at the same time with harden being " the pg" made us exposed, leaving our 3 pgs no space to do any penetration, let alone setting picks.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There isn't much hope here overall, mind you. I'd still like to see one win in this series. Thank God last night for an excellent episode of Game of Thrones.

I don't want to continue on with hate-rants, but, in as calm a tone as I can manage in written-word form, Kevin McHale should not hesitate in Game 2 to pull Lin if he struggles and insert Patrick Beverly on the floor.

I realize that McHale wanted Lin to fight through his nervousness in his first playoff game, but goodness gracious great balls of fire, Lin was handled like Andy Dufresne in his first few years at Shawshank.

Last night I thought it was a mistake to put Lin back in; Beverly makes things happen. In fact, Beverly is the perfect compliment to Harden. Beverly isn't worn down, and he plays great D.

There'll be no hiding the fact that we have no power forward. We can talk about how much we like Tjones or Dmo or Greg Smith (without even a nod to fumble-**** Thomas Robinson) but they're all 20-24 mpg backups pressed into servitude once Patrick Patterson was shipped out.

Hopefully this series will teach Les that high-scoring run-and-gun is nice, but it wears down the players. And we must, must, MUST have a real power forward. While we're at it, can we find a take for Jeremy Lin, given that his backup is far more valuable (but not for the pocketbook).

Don't get me wrong, I want Lin to succeed, and actually think he'd be pretty good if not playing alongside James Harden. Seems like his growth got stunted, you know?

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

I know both arent great shooters but they are fully capable of making a spot up 3 pointer or in jones case, a spot up mid-range shot. Where as Smith cannot shoot from the perimeter. In fact, I dont think he has ever attempted a shot outside of the paint.

At least with D-mo, opossing defenses will have to honor his jumper. If they dont, he will have open jumpers all game long, which I think he can hit once he gets going.

Look, all I'm saying is that by changing the lineup, we have a fighting chance of winning a game or two. And I'm sorry for hating on Mchale but his coaching decisions are just infuriating to watch.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Those two are more desirable sure but they still aren't the answer. Starting delfino over greg is the best way to go though. I don't understand how starting a rookie in the playoffs is the answer over starting greg. Like I think Greg has more starts under his belt in the regular season that Jones & D-mo combined. Like those two aren't the answer at all. With Delfino at least you know he is a veteran so he has experienced playoff basketball so he won't have the nerves. Rockets need to just not get blown out playing at home. I will consider that an accomplishment. I struggle to see us even winning a game this series.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

9. conquistador#11

it pained me just to watch the 'highlights' from espen. Don't know you could have watched the entire thing again.
    ahhh harden just threw up another ill advised shot and lin just coughed up again..

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the game last night was the inevitable result of the type of offense we play, which is predicated on personel who are no longer here, and adjustments the coaching staff has made to make the most effective us of the players we do have, who are better matched up against a team like Memphis, than OKC, who are more athletic than the rockets at every position on the floor.

I'm not discouraged by this, just realistic, but if I were to tinker with the lineup, for this series, I sympathize with those who suggest moving Smith into a backup center roll. At time last night, I felt he and Asik were actually one another's way. In addition to starting T-Jones, I might give backup minutes to T-Rob, whose speed and hops might provide some help in chasing down Westbrook. I might even play them together, with one guarding Durant.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

This. This thought crossed my mind last night as we were getting blown out. I am worried that depending on how badly we lose may cost us a desired free agent this summer.

12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

How is T-Rob's defense? I honestly can't even remember.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am sorry but I laughed at the bolded part & I laughed even harder at the italics part. Did you see D-mo in the regular season? He couldn't hit 3's to save his life. All of what you said is not backed up by facts it is more you suffering from grass is greener syndrome or ridiculous hope. Jones & D-mo do not command any defensive attention whatsoever from the perimeter. The only guys that do are Delfino & parsons. This is McHales first post season. Cut him some slack. If you want to blast his decisions during the regular season that is fine but the lack of talent is not there in the post season for him to be deserving of slander.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Also I swear Beverly could get blown by, by every starting PG, could choose to crash the offensive boards instead of running back in transition & would foul every body out there on the court & people would say he is a good defender. I just don't get it. And why do people keep saying Lin & harden don't work? I thought we moved past that in the regular season when they were rolling post all star break. Stop returning back to lazy narratives.

15. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

I agree the cards on mchail's hands are short. Losing 2pat and Morris, who could once in a while score over 20pts and got some decent mobility to take turns guarding Durant, definitely shows the damage now...

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

The team deserves to get a beat down like this if you ask me. So they know they cant pack it in the last couple games of the season once they were locked into the playoffs. Chandler was the only one who felt the sting of the end of season collapse last season and played well in the games we lost. Hopefully the end of season collapse (sort of) and the eventual sweep by the thunder (hopefully not) will stay with these guys next season and hopefully learn from it. That they cant get complacent with just being in the playoffs and to keep fighting until the bell rings for the best possible seed.

17. bbsuser

bbsuser Member

I agree. Chandler's 3rd foul was really the problem. We lost our best 3pt threat I'd say.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in theory or practice? the latter I'm not sure of either, although I seem to remember some good highlights. i just think smith shouldn't be on the floor this series unless he's matched up against perkins or Collison.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

He isn't a good team defender which is what the rockets need. Trob is still figuring stuff out.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They don't work, somewhat stylistically, but mostly because Lin just isn't very good. This was not something any rational Rocket fan "moved on" from, because it has been a problem from day one.

If you want to talk about narratives, you should probably focus on the narrative that Lin was brought in as some sort budding all star talent who the Rockets intended to build around, but has been completely stunted by racism, a coach who hates him and a ball dominant teammate.

The reality is he probably 4th. best player on a team which is already short on talent. The reality is he is a below average starting PG who doesn't do any one thing on the basketball court at a high level and is easily replaceable. We have heard Lin fans all year long for his supposed elite court vision, elite first step, elite floor general-ness, or any other number of non quantifiable attributes that have not translated to success on the basketball court.

More likely than not he was brought in for added revenues during a pre-Harden period in which we were supposed to be bad. Fortunately that plan was scrapped quickly with the acquisition of Harden, but he is still a relic of pre-Harden thinking.

I realize this hard for most to hear because he is an inspiration to the Asian community, but frankly its not fair to him to make him into something he isn't, because it creates expectations he cannot possibly live up too.