1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The tanking myth has been discussed and debunked several hundred times on this board. It guarantees nothing.

With a little luck from their respective camps, Bosh or Melo could have ended up in Houston. If either party was willing to make it happen, we positioned ourselves in such a manner where we could have made it a reality if all the pieces fell into place. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. The bigger points is we're much more likely to get our "#1 pick" via trade of this manner than we are pulling any shameless tankjobs.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Granger is a superstar and he must be hungry for a championship

but who goes, we still need a legit center

will my wish be fulfilled, Granger and Roy Hibbert for Aaron, Martin, Hill and a few picks :cool:

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes i read the bbs as well, there have been a dozen or perhaps two dozen threads discussing this. i don't agree the alleged debunking you speak of. i guess i should have stated this in my previous post in order to save us both the time but i got lazy

depends on the upcoming CBA. if the franchise player tag is enacted, then it will be near impossible to snag great players away from other teams going forward. in any case as it looks right now...."could have", "if", and "likely" aren't taking us anywhere soon

1 person likes this.
  4. baller4life315

Agreed a lot depends upon the new CBA. Personally, I don't necessarily buy the franchise tag actually happening. Regardless, the Bosh and Melo pursuits happened within the past year alone and unless anything drastically changes there will be other opportunities in the future.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bima, I just say it like I see it. After this, it will be another notch of almost. On top of that, its a move that brings us no closer to a ring than we are now. This team needs top flight talent and neither granger nor nene brings that. I like both players and both would upgrade 2 positions, but it takes the rockets out of 2012 sweeps. Not only that, it shifts the draft positioning.

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Could we get both?

Or just one of them?

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it seemed that bosh, wade, and lebron had really planned their get-together years prior and that all the hoopla this summer was just for show. if that is indeed the case, then morey's pursuit was just a show for us fans as well. i don't want to believe that, but fact is that we never even got a real meeting with bosh to recruit him.

and i do hope that we are able to parlay our assets into a superstar player. but if nene and granger are what we're striving for at this time, then that superstar player will have to come when.....at next year's trade deadline? as a fan i'm just getting a little tired of living for next year every season and also trading players in and out for lateral movements over and over. with the greg monroe example from earlier, at least he is a building block with special talent at the 4/5 spot that we could be developing right now...

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

not sure if anyone mentioned already, but if we going after granger, then no point of keeping martin since they're pretty similar.
    I have no problem getting replacing hill, miller and/or JJ with nene.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agreed 100%, they are both black scorers. You only need one black scorer per team.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

They both would fill important needs. I can see why the Rox would go after Granger in particular. He's a bargain given his current contract. He seems to have slightly regressed this year, but that's probably due to more talent being around him, which makes him, for lack of a better term, more tradeable/expendable. I do agree that the Rockets need to somehow get elite level talent to be relevant in the league. I think the focus should be on getting a center and then looking to add an elite level 1, 2, or 3 player.

1 person likes this.
  11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Have to disagree here. Yes, it seemed like the SuperFriends had made up their minds, but Morey obviously thought that he had a legitimate chance to woo Bosh away from them. He (1) either didn't know about their plans (which is likely since no one really knew they all wanted to play with each other until after the fact) or (2) knew that they were planning on teaming up but thought that he could still pry Bosh away, hoping he had the cajones to sack up and be an alpha dog. Either way, I don't think that it was just a dog and pony show.

I pretty much agree with you here. Part of the frustration is coming from the fact that we continue to say that we're playing for this year (Red Rising!) when it's pretty clear that we should be playing for the next. If we were to show that we were indeed going to rebuild (fire Adelman, go with a youth movement, throw TWill into the fire), I'd be ok with that since it shows a commitment to a certain course of action, even if it is playing for next season. The frustrating part has been the amount of uncertainty surrounding this organization, from Yao's health, to AB's contract status, to ultimately the direction of the franchise. It's hard to argue against the fact that we're settling for mediocrity. I think DM the GM is a very good one. But even I can't close my eyes to the fact that, whatever external factors are at play, he's managed to build up a very mediocre roster. He's stockpiled assets for the future, gambling on making a play at a superstar via trade. Now we're not hearing about getting a Melo or a Bosh or even an Amare; we're hearing rumors about NeNe or Granger. No offense to those players, but they're not exactly the "SPLASH" we were all thinking of.

12. pge71188

pge71188 Member

LOL!!!! :grin: I may be in the minority on this but I think Kevin Martin is better than Granger.

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

I'll take them both

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Granger at $10 million seems to be a better value to me than Melo at $17 million. IF..........Stern does get his way and there is some sort of hard cap in the new CBA, then a combination of Granger and Martin on the wings represents a lot better value and gives us a much better opportunity to bring in a balanced supporting cast.

When I look at their current records, it sure appears to me that we are headed to a Celtics/Spurs Finals. Then when you look at how each team is constructed, Boston has 4 guys around Rondo that can score the ball and play effectively in a system. They're big 3 are all long in the tooth, but they know how to play highly efficient basketball and they play great paint defense, cutting off drives, challenging at the rim, getting charges AND blocked shots, and then when they go down on the offensive end, they do their little cuts and screens and Rondo serves them up ice cream dishes all night. They don't seem to work nearly as hard on the offensive end as Miami does. Miami is good but are they championship good? I don't see it. They have NOTHING outside of their Big 3. I don't think they will get it done, not without adding significant pieces, a significant post presence and significant paint defense. You simply don't win championships from the perimeter. You've got to have meat inside. You've got to get buckets at the rim and you've got to play rim defense. Every championship team gets the ball to the rim consistently and plays highly efficient offensive basketball and they all defend the paint.

IF there is a hard cap put in, it's going to be difficult for Miami to max out it's roster. They may have mismatches at the 2 and the 3 against every team but other teams are going to be able to put together a 2 and a 3 that are not as bad of a mismatch and then they are going to be able to put a 1 and a 5 that are strong mismatches to Miami and a 4 that can offset Miami's. Then you've got the benches.

Morey may be doing the wise thing going forward, getting guys that are not quite as good at the 2 and the 3, if indeed we come up with a good 3 to go with Martin, and then getting some big time meat in the paint. Don't forget, if Yao comes back, he's most likely to come back right here in Houston. If he's really not done, and you can add him to a mix of Lowry/Martin/Granger/plus whatever we have left at the 4 (Scola or Patterson and Hayes), that's pretty substantial. Now add in guys like TWill and Lee off the bench and you've got something.

We have a good system. We have a good coach. We have been highly competitive and we've lost our best player and one of our other primary scorers for much of the season. And we don't have a player playing significant minutes that is over 6'9". That's saying something. I'm all for getting Nene if he is gettable. I'm all for getting Granger if he is gettable. I'm all for getting Chris Paul if he is available. Morey needs to continue his course and make trades that make this team better. Load up on better players and wait for a superstar to come loose.

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Yes!!!

I living in Chicago right now and Danny Granger would be a great fit for this team. I know many Pacer fans who love him but his shot selection can be shaky at times. The dude has the ability to put the ball on the ground and take it to the hole but he settles for jump shots at times...

But in this system, Granger will be a stud! He can shoot the ball, he likes moving off screens, he fills the stat sheet up pretty easily.

Furthermore, when Granger wants to play defense, he is really good at it. For example, at the beginning of the year, he was guarding LeBron with maximum effort and made him shoot a low percentage. He's really good defensively and basically has all the tools to be a great defender!

And for Nene, he's money inside the paint. You will see tonight, the dude should be getting more shots.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Dream says hi.

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Maybe the Pacers send Granger to Houston for Shane Battier, Courtney Lee and Terrence Williams, as well as a first round draft pick, then ship Battier and Lee to Memphis for Mayo and Tony Allen. The Grizzlies get more cap relief to re-sign their inside duo, the Rockets get an elite scorer to team with Aaron Brooks and Luis Scola, and the Pacers get a pair of young shooting guards and a future draft pick for Granger.

^

From bleacher report but still, that sounds pretty good for Houston. If Pacers can get Mayo and Allen for Battier and Lee, that's a really good trade for them as well.

18. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Yeah there is no Dream or near his skills in this years draft. Just about all garbage.

19. baller4life315

LOL....yeah, ok. Let's dig that one out after 27-28 years. ;)

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Really appreciate the heads up, and any news is welcome, but I am with the poster who labeled these possible trades as kind of underwhelming. Nice additions (depending on who is leaving) but aren't these largely role players with Granger being a bit more elite. But we are not talking about franchise players here, right? Who are we building around in the future, that would be nice to know? I think what is frustrating everyone is the stocking up with "assets" without a coherent blueprint of what we are trying to do. How do the pieces fit together? Right now, I would respond with, not very well.

1 person likes this.