1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential Rocket Profile: Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 20, 2014.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think we're number 2 on Melo's list right now behind Chicago. On the surface we are the worse "fit." There's a fit in terms of touches with Harden and Howard. There's a fit in terms of defense on a team that lacks defenders in general. There's a fit of us being in the west.

But I think Morey needs to really show Melo that we're simply a much better team with him than Chicago. Which I personally believe to be true unless Rose comes back 100%. If Morey can do that, show Melo that with him, we're #1-2 seed in the west with him, I think he's on board.

#21 meh, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I would j*zz myself if we got Melo..remember those famous run-and-gun Suns teams that were so fun to watch? Yeah we would out score them!

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The other thing Melo needs to factor in is that the Bulls need to use their MLE to bring in talent equivalent of a Taj Gibson, a Jimmy Butler, and to a lesser extent a Carlos Boozer because that's who all needs to be shipped out just to get Carmelo his money.

Houston, on the other hand, won't have to give up a Parsons, Harden, Beverly, or Howard to get enough money to sign Anthony.

I still consider Chicago among the favorites just because it's Chicago and they have a superior head coach and a former (though broken) MVP. But it makes $ money sense and personnel sense for Melo to come to Houston, homerism aside.

1 person likes this.
  4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Although I do like him as a player, the rockets have a chance to have him, so I pay more attention to this trade or signing. Another positive part for getting him is that we can still keep Parsons, so we could have big four on the team.

5. deshen

deshen Member

Anthony would be awesome here.
    Finger crossed.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I feel like I can say Melo should come to Houston without any bias. Knicks are a mess, and Bulls.. well, let's be honest here, Rose will never be the same Rose. Who knows if he can even play? Houston makes sense.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bosh may be a better fit, being able to defend bigs and the rim in general, but Melo is the best player we have a realistic shot at. It would actually be scary to see him play next to Harden and Dwight.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Melo also needs to remember how easy (and fun) it was when he had a 3 point shooter who could hit from everywhere like Novak did. Imagine the spacing he and Harden gets with a player that shoots like this:

Shot Chart 1

9. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Don't think Lin is going to give up his #7.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm sure Melo and the Rockets could care less with what number he wares since it will likely be for a team other than the Rockets.

11. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

Even if Rose comes back 100% healthy, he's lost over two years of development to his game. That's a big deal for a young player. The media just mythicizes him from his previous play and expects he'll be the same player. I, for one, do not believe he'll ever be an "elite" player again, and I think this is one of the main reasons Carmelo should stay away from the Windy City and join up with Clutch City.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How much more development does he need? Dude was MVP. Even before he got hurt, he was one of the best players in the NBA. Hes young, its not like hes banged up. I actually thought he sat out this year for a weak injury. Players have come back from a torn miniscus in like a month. So the only thing that worries me about Rose is how hard is he going to push himself and if the event being hurt again will hinder how hard he tries.

CHI is a better fit for Melo in a sense that he will get more touches and pretty much have the green light. He will have to share the ball with Harden and Howard and who knows if those two would be cool with it.

Rose injury history should help us and the intent to form the next Big 3 should entice Melo as well.

13. basketballholic

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Somewhere in our pitch to Melo should be, "We've been down the road of hoping for the return of one of our superstar players only to be distracted and disappointed. With the Rockets you have a very young and healthy team with 2 real all-stars and most likely future HOFers."......"A title. That is what you deserve. That is what we are building."

15. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

I see your point, but all young players still need development to their game. I just think missing two seasons lowers his ceiling significantly. But that doesn't mean he still won't be a good player.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think Rose was a little overrated to begin with personally, but in terms of fit, Rose is a player that is only useful with the ball in his hands. I don't think he and Melo really mesh well personally, just like Melo didn't really mesh well with Lin.

Rose is creator, for himself first. The idea that he is a better fit than Harden is silly to me. With Harden as Melo's wingman, they can run it either way. Harden can create and dish to Melo or Melo can go to work and Harden can work as a spot shooter.

They are both ball dominant, but when the ball isn't in their hands, I think Harden is a better asset on the court than Rose.

17. Classic

Classic Member

IF I'm Melo @ 30 and I'm thinking 'chips and I've got Rose v Harden as a running mate assuming he considers Dwight & Noah a wash; I'm choosing Harden all day. Rose is a gamble IMO. Harden has proved quite durable and is obviously younger.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If we had gone further in the playoffs as expected, there would have been little doubt in Melo's mind that we are a much better team than Chicago with him here. It would have been a no brainer if indeed Melo was all about winning and it came down to Chicago or Houston.

However, thanks to the clueless, incompetent joke of a coach and embarassment to the Rockets McHale, it makes the pitch that much tougher. Another example of how McHale does more harm than good.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's just not about Rose vs Harden.

It's also about the defense that each team plays.

It's about role playing solid defenders like Gibson and Butler vs below average D Parsons or TJones

It's about a top 5 NBA head coach in Thibs vs a definite bottom 3 head coach in the NBA in McHale.

There are several factors but basically if we had a better coach, we would have better D, a deeper playoff run, not so much scrutiny on our lack of D etc. all of which point to a better Houston pitch.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you just put "I hate Kevin McHale and he is the source of all the problems in the world" in your signature, you could just post "....." in every thread and your message would still be the same. Plus as an added bonus I wouldn't see it every time since I have sigs off.