1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: The red-hot 6-0 start for the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

3 people like this.
  2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Yes! Thank you Clutch.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Nice!

Time to put on my ear buds and give it a lesson.

Thanks Clutch, these are always awesome

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

finally. Rockets talk.

5. basketballholic

Good job. Agree with most everything with minor differences.

1. I think Canaan is going to emerge as the secondary playmaker and his game will continue to blossom in that role. He can obviously play off the ball alongside Harden when needed. But when Bev gets healthy, I suspect he goes back into the starting lineup and Canaan comes off the bench for Harden. If we have one of Harden/Canaan on the floor for the entire 48 minutes I think our playmaking will be fine.

2. I think the #1 need on this team is a defensive big to control the paint, defend the rim, and lock down the glass when Dwight sits down. I think that's more important than a big scorer.

Most teams run pick and roll to death in today's NBA. They clear out the paint. Everybody's got backup guards running out their ears that can run pick-and-roll and get to the rim. Hence the importance of the shut down defender in the paint behind Dwight. Just as we need an excellent playmaker on the floor when Harden sits down....we need that back up 5 that is athletic and skilled defensively to water down the efficiency of the opponents pick-and-roll. '

If you have that secondary dominant paint defender (that can also run pick and roll offensively fairly well) THEN you have the opportunity to go smaller with the secondary unit as well. Just as Harden needs space.....so does Canaan. Canaan is the 5-10 version of Harden. He's best in space where he can cross up guys and get to the rim and finish, dish...or if the defense drifts under the pick he can burn them with the pull up 3.

Taking Dwight and his post touches out of the game gives us the opportunity to accentuate small-ball, not go away from it.

So, in my humble opinion, just like last season, we need to figure out the 2 primary rotation bigs that can play best with Dwight. When he sits we need paint defense, rebounding, and a pick-and-roll finisher. And when he's on the court it's even more important that we have an efficient 3-ball stroker at the 4 alongside him. I don't know if either guy is on the roster right now.

1 person likes this.
  6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Oh, how can we manuever a Millsap or West to fall into our laps this season?

TJones on the bench unit would give us a dependable scorer and good enough shotblocker.

Of course, trading for one of the MIL bigs may prove an easier task.

7. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Awesome start to the season and a CF podcast! Christmas before Thanksgiving? Thanks Clutch!

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Of the three position they talked about upgrading I think backup Center is most important. There is such a huge dropoff between Dwight and the next guy. I head Okafor is somewhere around Fort Bend we should call him up and see if he can be the competent backup C we need.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah at this point, the only position i believe we really need to improve quicker is the backup center spot. that's why it was such a luxury to have a starting center as a backup but things just didn't work out. other then that, losing CP and lin does not hurt at all, between ariza, cannon, Kpap, and terry they have more than made up for what the previous two did and actually have done better.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our front line is weak after Howard and our bench is shaky at best.

It would be nice if we had a back-up defensive/rebounding 4/5 like a Bynum to back up Howard/Jones. That would be big. Would also be great if we had Aaron Brooks on this team too.

11. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

12. chandlerbang21

First real test tomorrow and i hope Tjones and pat are playing

13. rocketsmetalspd

How about trading Dorsey for a pick in December and replacing him with Emeka Okafor.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

"David Lee will not travel with the Golden State Warriors when they play at Houston and Phoenix this weekend because of a left hamstring injury." From ESPN.

The rockets could be 7-0 after this Saturday. Few people can predict this before the reason starts.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A brilliant brilliant piece Clutch. But then again, I have come to expect nothing less.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah a lot of fans on this board could have but we really look deep into our team and analyze unlike the national media who goes with popular opinion and biased based evaluations.

17. NotChandlerParsons

What kind of pick would Dorsey get us? Maybe we can trade him for a first round in the Chinese Basketball Association draft?

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

There can never be enough of these podcasts. Two a day would be a good start.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Seasons doesn't start until the first PodCast . . . . .

Rocket River

20. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Good podcast, always a pleasure listening to your podcast. I really think Ariza is a better fit than Parsons.