1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking Rockets with Jonathan Feigen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 27, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Except for center.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great job Clutch.

Clutch and D-rock like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets, if they draft Paolo, will try him at center at times. Heck, the Rockets may move Wood to PF and have Paolo start at center in the name of experimentation.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

About half way in and it's a great interview. Waited until I had to drive into work and it definitely made my ride much more enjoyable...

Actually at the end of my ride to work I thought. "I wish there was more traffic this morning so I could finish." If that isn't a high compliment I don't know what is!

Clutch and D-rock like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

THAT IS FUNNY!!!

[​IMG]

raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could be right but Paolo is sub par rim protector.

Averaged less than a block a game (0.9) at 4 spot in 33 mins. In comparison, Chet averaged almost 4 blocks a game (3.7) in 26.9 mins while also playing the 4.

Better to have Sengun or Wood play center instead.

saleem likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He does play like a wing, but defensively I have been told they are pretty confident that he will be guarding 4's and small ball 5's, and not a lot of 3's.

Offensively he can play multiple positions at a high level, especially if his shooting improves.

He isn't a high level rebounder, but he is "fine". He isn't Mo Taylor, he will get enough rebounds to stay on the court and not have people calling to bench him because he doesn't hit the boards. Obviously Holmgren is a level above him as a rebounder, but most guys aren't as good as Chet.

raining threes, Deuce and D-rock like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see Wood as a better center. I don't see Paolo at center ideal, or even desirable. However, unless the Rockets actually get a quality rim protector, I think they would try Paolo there in hopes of just being able to switch more.

raining threes, D-rock and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It will be very hard to keep him at 230-240 lbs for very long with his shoulders/frame and physique. He has massive legs, and is still a teenager. He is ultimately going to be 250 lbs at a minimum. Maybe better conditioning will allow him to defend small forwards well in switches, but IF it is the weight that has slowed him down, we ultimately just have to live with it.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

And Wood may not be the better center but he is the better rim protector.

As well as roller, lob threat, 3ball shooter, more efficient finisher.

And rebounder.

Wood is lighter but longer - has a 7'4 wingspan.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All this is fine if Wood is guarding the opposing center and protecting the rim. I think odds are much greater that Paolo will actually guard the opposing center, try to get back to center as soon as possible if there is a switch, and be present to at least flail arms at guys shooting in the paint.

Wood needs to be a PF ideally with a good defensive center.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, both need an elite rim protector at the 5.

saleem likes this.
  13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

he was a guard and he has guard moves, he can play inside because he is physical and touch but he is more comfortable on the wing. If he lose 7-8 pounds he can play perimeter defense. In high school, he was smaller and quicker at Duke he looked sluggish on defense

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to trade Wood, he is passive and nonchalant on defense and Green and Wood can not play together. When Wood stop playing at the end of the year, Green went OFF!!! I know Silas LOVES Wood, but we need to send Wood packing on Draft Day I would love to get ACP from Washington he can play defense.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, we just need to hold him accountable and coach him up.

DD

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Our team cannot coach him up or hold him accountable. This was tried last season, if he walk like a duck and talk like a duck....he is a DUCK. He is a nice offensive Big Man but he does not care about defense and he is too passive. We need to trade him now and do not even think about a long contract with him..he has value right now.

raining threes likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather focus on holding our teenagers accountable, tbh. Scary prospect to wait for Wood while he makes our guards materially worse.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was NOT tried last season, Silas did nothing on defense or holding anyone accountable or setting heirarchy....come on man.

DD

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KPJ, Green, Sengun, Jaygup, and Garuba all improved defensively. I agree Silas’ was terrible and didn’t hold anybody accountable (except maybe Sengun), but they improved anyway. Wood doesn’t care to improve on defense and that is an issue as well as Silas’ poor coaching. Defensive effort and competitiveness comes from within and Wood just doesn’t have it.

raining threes likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rookies improved on defense despite the head coach.

Good to know.