1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

here is some more info from http://www.jsonline.com/sports/trus...es-like-ryan-braun-b99140923z1-231671331.html

"The Bucks chose to rebuild around Sanders by giving the fourth-year forward/center a four-year, $44 million contract extension that kicks in next season. His was the marquee name among a turned-over roster of young players and fringe veterans, the identifying face among the faceless as the Bucks asked for patience in a total rebuilding year.

But just a few weeks into it, Sanders severely damaged the message by going out and getting into a bar fight a couple of nights before his wife gave birth to his daughter. Already he was not living up to the extension by not playing well, yet he was complaining about playing time on the way out the door to the bar.

But it is Sanders' lack of maturity that has called more attention to him than his defensive presence on the floor. His technical fouls and his judgment away from his job would cause any reasonable person to question if the Bucks gave their one big contract to the wrong guy.

And now Sanders will be out at least six weeks because he tore up his thumb in a bar fight? Are you kidding?

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/trus...raun-b99140923z1-231671331.html#ixzz2nCRpYCcT
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with this. He also doesn't want trouble makers on the team.

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Quite possibly but just saying it's possible....most were acting like sanders was untouchable and better than asik

Which he isn't

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Just wondering,would you trade Asik to Dallas?

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Sorry but that's not true. A center that is mediocre offensively and goes off only against Miami is not a best center in NBA. But he sure fits the bill for Indiana: they don't mind he doesn't put up great numbers against other teams, as long as he's doing that against Miami who's the only real threat in the East.

Asik is our backup center only because Howard showed up, but otherwise he is a starting center material. You act like you haven't seen one Rockets game last year when Asik was a walking double-double. So not sure if you are serious or you are just trolling.

I think the Rockets would have the same result last year with either Hibbert or Asik manning the center spot.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Wouldn't send him within the conference or division if I could help it unless I was overcompensated.

Definitely wouldn't do it for Marion .... if that's where you were going.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Asik and Lin to Dallas for dirk and dalembert....

/wet dream

8. dk808

dk808 Member

they wouldn't even trade dirk alone for asik+lin+parsons lol.

9. Chamillionaire

If Sanders was up for grabs I can't see Morey not being interested.  He's one of the few players better than Dwight and Asik.

10. Chamillionaire

at protecting the rim.

11. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

When he's playing

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think we'll be disappointed with whatever we get in return for Asik. There isn't much buzz for him anymore. He's really hurt his trade value.

Even though the Rockets said they intend to trade him by the 19th, if they don't get a good deal I wouldn't be shocked to see them hold on to him.

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I believe the Rockets will get a backup center and wing player for Asik. I seriously doubt they will pursue a PF with Jones playing well.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Why swap one poor attitude for another poor attitude?

Why trade for a contract that will crush any hope of pursuing another top ten player?

Why trade for a marginal starting upgrade?

Why trade for a rotation guy who isn't going to be happy about no longer starting, especially if they are going to be a free agent next Summer?

A talented wing defender, who's contract ends in 2015, who will be happy with 10-20 minutes a game, who is healthy, and in their prime, that type of player doesn't grow on trees. The more precise your need, the more difficult to fulfill that need, and the Rockets have very precise needs.

Oh, and did I mention that at least a quarter of the league won't be eager to help the Rockets get tougher? Yeah, that too.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Another obstacle is that he wants to start. That shortens the list of trade partners even further.

But Millsap is a solid fall back, and that gives Morey the option of packaging Jones in a future deal, but Millsap will want to start, and Jones might pout if benched. It's some real complicated ####. ;)

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, better to hold on to him and try to mend things( Asik needs to accept his role and work hard) rather than a bad trade.
    Rockets are in a tight spot with him.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be honest considering we got him for "free" last year (just FA) I don't think anyone has a right to be disappointed, he's just another product of the Morey magic creating an asset out of thin air. Even in the worst case scenario we get nothing but low 2nd round picks for him, we still ended up with more assets than when we started before we signed him so meh.

With Asik I don't think he's moping about as much but considering he fired his agent I think he really wants out of Houston. There might be no buzz about him but honestly almost every team out there needs a 7'1 defensive center, even teams like Philly or NO would probably like to move their prize prospects Davis and Noels away from the C spot where all the bruisers and bangers play.

I find it hard to believe no one will make a play for him but in the event nothing happens, I'd just happily keep him. Asik needs to understand that if he spends this season and the next moping about he'll do nothign but tank his value in the open market once his contract expires.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Question:

If we did trade for Milsap, do you start him over Jones?

Jones as a starter is averaging about

13 PPG
    9 RGP
    2 BPG
    .521 FG%
    .406 3PT%
    29 MPG

Those are outstanding numbers for a complimentary player. The flow of the offense has been outstanding with him in the line up. He does things that does not show up on the stat sheet like moving with out the ball and he is really starting to make the correct decisions on defense. He is 21 years old and his best days are still well in front of him.

By comparison Milsap is averaging about:

17 PPG
    8 RPG
    1 BPG
    3 APG
    2 SPG
    .500 FG%
    .412 3PT%

Milsap is putting up those numbers as more of a featured player than a complimentary player like Jones is. Of course Milsap is what he is at 28 years old. Plus, Milsap is making 9.5 mil a season where TJones is making 1.8 mil a season.

IMO, if Milsap starts then Jones will end up back on the bench and out of the rotation because the Rockets like going small with Casspi at the 4 a lot. Casspi IMO will not be moved out of the rotation and he will not be moved to the 3 to back up Chandler. But that is just my opinion.

Personally, I don't want Jones going back to the bench, I want him to stay and continue to develop as a starter. I'm loving how he and Dwight have developed chemistry on both ends of the floor. I can't help be think TJones is just going to get better and better, plus he is comfortable as a complimentary player in the Rockets system. This is not a knock on Milsap but I just think it would be a mistake to not ride this out with TJones and see what we have for the long run.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree that we will likely be disappointed with what we end up with for Asik but I don't think his trade value has dropped a bit. Don't confuse a lack of media coverage for a lack of interest from other GM's from around the league.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Finally, news came out today that Sanders left his dogs outside in the freezing cold of a Milwaukee January without "shelter, food, or water."

Hmmm, wonder if animal lover Les would be happy with Morey if he traded for this guy?