1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loved the end - MORE PODCASTS - GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT !

:)

DD

2. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Funny that Lin goes from untradeable last year because no team wanted him to untradeable now because he's too valuable.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

More questions marks, please.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Thanks for the breakdown, J.R., for those of us that have to wait on listening to the podcast. I'll still listen, but it's nice to see what the gurus of CF think in concise text.

I'm onboard with getting Milsap, but I think we'd be better with Anderson or Ilyasova.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A great podcast as usual. But a couple of observations:

• D-Mo and Jones are currently at an inflection point in their development. They just are not going to improve quickly unless they get significant NBA court time. However they both look promising to say the least. Offensively against DEN they racked up 26/16/4 blocks in 42 minutes. Defensively they looked adequate except for Jones first 4 minutes against Faried where he lost track of the Denver player three times for three easy buckets. Actually they defensively appeared to be much better than Anderson has ever demonstrated. And at ~$3M a year they may be a Parsonesque bargain.

I cannot even consider Pau because he has such a difficult time coexisting with a traditional center. If both the center and Pau require the low post then both of their games will suffer. We have seen it with both Bynum and Howard.

I actually view Asik's quick return as a negative at this point. While D-Mo is not going to fare well against many starting centers, it is still undetermined whether he can hold his own for 14 minutes against the bench of NBA teams. This impacts trading Asik in obvious ways.

Until the above questions are answered I cannot see Morey making any trade that impacts the Rockets power forward position.

2 people like this.
  6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think Rondo is a good fit because he is everything James isnt, we need somebody to play defense... I don't see how adding a scoring PF helps this team other than maybe making it more exciting to watch, but in a must win game we need defense.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bird rights -- Omer/Lin? How do their Bird rights work with their unique contracts?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

More podcasts! Give the people what they want!

Great job!

9. Raven

Raven Member

Sometimes the obvious answer is actually the answer. Paul Millsap will be a Rocket on Dec 16th, yes, no?

10. Play07

Play07 Member

2nd that ! & we don’t have anyone who will stand up to harden or howard, I dont see him as a locker room cancer I see him as someone who can come with the cure, bev and garcia are good teammates to have but they’re not in a position to get on and motivate H&H when they are taking plays off. Rondo would have been told asik what was up none of that feeling sorry talk. Friendly teams don’t win championships in any sports. & teams that do like the spurs, at least had a coach that would put players in line like quick like POP. mchale is not that guy.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't believe Lin has ever been untradeable. What we could and should expect in return has definitely changed though.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thank you, JR

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Definitely not my view of Lin ... not right now. He's scoring very efficiently, but odds are those shooting percentages are coming down. I think if the right deal for a max player opens up, they'd move him.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It seems the right fit.

If it happened, would it be a straight-up trade, one player for another? Would we aim for a backup center too (Lucas Nogueira won't come over til next year, Brand is short but perfect for 14 mpg at this stage of his career yet costs $4,000,000....)

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

a max player? like cp3? they MUST move lin.

16. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Speaking of Millsap, here is another article about the feasability of an Omer Asik for Paul Millsap trade.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/362409

While it references the Bleacher report and it is not the best written article, it does make a few good points and is worth reading.
    More and more people in the national media are recognizing the practicality and feasibility of this trade because it benefits both teams and the trade is relatively easy to consummate.

#36 Huricane, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Clutch did all the hard work. I just called in on my phone and talked.

(And the "MORE PODCASTS" remark was clearly aimed at all of Clutch's podcasts with various co-hosts. He does an excellent job putting all of them together.)

Yes, anyone trading for Asik (or Lin) gets his Bird rights. Each player signed a 3-year deal. After the expiration of that 3-year deal, any team holding his contract possesses his Bird rights.

We didn't want the podcast to run too long, so we didn't go into as much depth on ancillary trade pieces as we otherwise could have with unlimited time.

I specifically mentioned on the hypothetical Asik-Millsap swap that the parties would likely try to negotiate for additional considerations from one side or another. Considering that I did not talk at all about any other trade mechanics (other than needing Lin's contract to trade for Pau or Bosh), I thought it was safe to assume that we were not necessarily assuming a straight-up swap in each case.

As for a backup C, I don't think that issue will deter Morey from trading for the best possible PLAYER (singular) he can get in a deal for Asik. The Rockets can always make a separate trade for a backup C. Also, the coaches seemed to like what they were getting from Greg Smith. They may be able to go with Smith as backup C for a while, then possibly add someone like Marcus Camby or Emeka Okafor if either player can get healthy come February or March.

The Rockets still have their "Room" MLE ($2.652 million) to spend on another player later this season. I'd like to think that Camby could be had (again) for the vet minimum if healthy. Given Okafor's injury (and contract), he'd likely sign for the vet minimum if he gets bought out by Phoenix. There are also countless other possibilities that none of us (but the Rockets' front office) have even imagined.

Neither of us were talking about WANTING to move Lin. The context for the mention of trading Lin was isolated to the necessity that a contract the size his must be included to make certain hypothetical trades. Given that Harden and Howard are going nowhere and that Asik is the one already involved in the trade scenarios, that only left Lin's contract.

All good points. However, given where the Rockets are in their overall place in the league (fringe contender status), I don't think the development of a couple of mid-first rounders is going to detract the team from adding a legit above average (maybe even fringe All-Star caliber) PF to improve this team immediately. But points taken nonetheless.

Defensively? Absolutely. Offensively? The Rockets would probably be a mess. If Rondo is to be effective, then he'll have to have the ball in his hands, rendering Harden into a glorified Chandler Parsons in half-court sets. If Harden has the ball, teams will just sag off of Rondo on the weak side, making it much more difficult for the Rockets to score.

Rondo is a great player, so I'll never say never on the Rockets going out and getting him. But I just don't see the defensive benefits greatly outweighing the disaster awaiting the Rockets' half-court offense. I hope I'm wrong.

1 person likes this.
  18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nice job Clutch and Bima. Keep the podcasts coming.

19. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

players like melo is a good fit to this team. Can shoot, drive, and make good position under basket. Harden could totally take over PG's work.

But I really wonder a third superstar could adjust well under Mchale's system
    LBJ sacrificed a lot to make Heat Dynasty. Currently, I can not see how harden or howard would like to sacrifice for this team.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Great job guys.

To add for next time-

-Topic du jour seems to be people really giving up their faith very quickly in Chandler Parsons. (I'm not one of them). Mostly knee jerk I know, but I'd like to get your guys take on whether or not Parsons' recent warts showing on the court could make him more expendable in upcoming deals.

I personally think he's probably the #3 on the list of UN-tradables on this roster because of his ability to fit into essentially any rotation and roster Morey & McHale put together here in the future post Asik trade & beyond, but many others here do not agree with me here.

I'd like your take. Thanks.