1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Stop complaining and start giving Harden, McHale credit for Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 7, 2015.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden's post game statement immediately after the game was something I hadn't listened to, until just now. He said he was TOLD continue being aggressive, and so he did.

I think it's rather odd that he needs to be reminded that he can "do it". Have confidence in yourself, young man. Yeah, it's going to be harder in LA, but YOU can do it. They can slow you down, but you can still hurt them big time.

Go Harden! Go Houston Rockets!

3. anchel

anchel Member

It is not a matter of body language to me. Phil Jackson had his team ready, under control and motivated at the important games without leaving his chair.

The Rockets show some terrible defensive habits, trying the steal, the unexpected trap, overall not showing the neccesary discipline of a cahmpionship team. Clippers are scoring at will like the Mavs did at the 1st round, and it is not like McHale does not have the personnel to do it better. We have the athleticism, the experience and the individual defenders to be a better defensive team against playoff offensive level.

The Rockets very often don't show neither the proper approach, mental preparation/motivation at important dates, looking often to me like a team that lacks of leadership from the sideline.

Offensively, our roster has some shortcomings like an alternative ballhandler to James... still there is a frequent trend to stay static and be predictable/ too easy to scout and defend to the rival.

Winning players and veterans really do it? Generally all the players speak well of "players coaches". That's not an argument to defend McHale's work. Championship teams need discipline, and to create and set up discipline into a group, into a defensive scheme, it involves a coaching behavior that is often not pleasant for the players' comfort zone. Life is easy for the players with McHale coaching, of course they are happy... that doesn't mean they are being properly coached. Winning players, veterans, know it in the long run, young players or "menatlly challenged" players (like Smith) probably don't realize it until later -or even never-. Speaks nothing on coaching work.

4. ibm

ibm Member

it may not be a good timing to say this. but that's the main thing when i say i see something missing in harden's game.

technical aspect of the game (such as shooting %) can be improved by practicing, but certain aspects,,, you either have it or you don't.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Every series is 1-1. Rockets, esp. the young guys, needed to experience firsthand that the 2nd round is more competitive.

Someone was bound to step up as this team's leaders. It was the Howard, Ariza, and Terry the vets who led in the effort, hustle and poise department as an example for Harden and Jones.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Did clutch just call out cheke64??

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is the kind of post where you know someone doesn't know what they are watching. You might be a big fan of basketball, but I don't think you grasp what's happening out there.

Teams are playing Harden a certain way. Basically completely committing to doubling him on any pick and roll. There is one smart thing to do when this happens and that's make the right pass and let the rest of the team try to score 4 on 3. It's what your supposed to do.

In the instances he is getting by his man Deandre is doing a great job of covering the rim without fouling Harden.

So basically what your asking is that he goes Kobe on the double team and just heave it up or try to challenge deandre and get his shot swatted more rather than exploit the double and get his teammates open shots. It's dumb. Really dumb.

We saw what happened when Deandre left the game. Domination because there was no one there to stop him. The turnovers have been bad, but outside of that he's largely done exactly what he should out there.

8. ibm

ibm Member

which elite player (and harden qualifies, imo) doesn't have to face double-teams?

and what 'bout the slowly walking to front court and those 'cute' behind-the-back bounce passes which resulted ugly turnovers? what 'bout the sloppy ball handling? what 'bout dribbling to the last few seconds for nothing and then passing to a teammate and forcing a hurried jumper? was he double-teamed when these plays happened?

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lebron has done all of those things. And more than once. So has every star player you can think of. You can cherry pick any play you want and say this person is garbage but Hardens body of work is undeniably fantastic. I guess Blake Griffin shut down in the second half and was unmotivated right?

10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

It does every year. This season quite emphatically.

11. ibm

ibm Member

lebron is a whole level above harden, both talent- and achievement-wise.
    i will leave it at that.

and if you pay attention, the things i have observed in harden don't happen just occasionally. they're a constant. they just got magnified now because it's the playoffs.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden deserves the credit for his 4th quarter performance. He also deserves criticism (not all criticisms are complaints) for his under-performance at many stretches in the past two games, and the past two playoffs series for that matter.

McHale deserves credit for the second half defensive adjustment. That was huge. I've always felt that McHale gets too much criticism on his in game adjustment. He's not great, but he is improving. Last year, he waited two games before he adjusted the defense against Aldridge and that was too late. This time he did the right move after Griffin went off in the first half.

13. ibm

ibm Member

on the technical side of the game, yes, true.

my suspicion is on the mental part of the game.

14. ibm

ibm Member

true. totally agree.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

MK was spot on with regard to how people would still pick & choose to push their narrative re: Harden. Dead on.

16. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

:confused: He went from taking 8 quarters to make an adjustment to 6 quarters... Going from horrible to bad is not a great indication of a quality coach.

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

We are literally 11 wins away from a title, playing a team we can beat, GS showing some weakness, and an Eastern Conference selection that I don't think anyone is afraid to match up with. I'd say that's pretty close.

The major flaw here seems to be the fans' moving goalpost expectations, sense of entitlement to instant and total gratification, and that some of you seem to think when we won in 94 and 95 that is was guaranteed with no adversity. If it were that easy, everyone would win all the time, and it wouldn't be "How Sweet It Is!" when we do win it.

Go Rockets! Prove em all wrong and show everyone the difference between deserving it and earning it.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And these are the kind of posts where I think the poster watches a ton if not all Rockets games, but not a whole bunch of other games outside of that.

No player is mistake free. If you watched every GS game you would be able to pick apart Currys game and the same goes for just about every team and their star.

Rockets fans who generally just watch the Rockets seem to think the problems we as a team or Harden as an individual have are things that other teams and players don't have as well when it's just not true.

19. ibm

ibm Member

you're wrong. i've watched literally thousands of nba games and almost every playoff game since the time i can't remember.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So what gives?

Just incorrectly, unnecessarily and overly critical of your team?