1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Stop complaining and start giving Harden, McHale credit for Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 7, 2015.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I hear what you're saying. Truly. Our team has not played well, and no, you cannot blame McHale for us missing threes and defensive assignments. But, can you blame McHale for not regrouping or adjusting? Can you blame him for not calling a timeout before things got out of hand? The majority of college/NBA coaches don't allow a team to run up by 8 or more points before talking it over. That is, unless you're Phil Jackson. We don't have a prime Shaq and Kobe right now to play through the current adversity.

So, it's not just the standing up....

It's the communication or the lack of "being there," up close and personal. Doc is a coach to the purest form, win or lose. He's constantly talking to his rooks and vets to get the team to play harder and buy in.

If you read up on Doc from his former players, they say the same type of stuff. His words are listened to like the gospel. (Well, not literally) But, he is the heart of his team through his leadership.

Body language is an important part of coaching, IMO. But again, that's only from my experience and from having the opportunity of watching great Rockets' coaches of the past and those around the NBA.

2. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

We gotta believe in him while we have him. Let's criticize him when he isn't making a championship run

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Podcast stopped for me at around 11:35. Probably just me but figured I'd share just in case.

::edit::

Nvm. Tried the podcast a second time and it worked fine.

#23 Haymitch, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem with your theory is that the players who play/have played for McHale love him and praise him AND HIS PEERS PRAISE HIM AS WELL.

On top of that, his team won 56 games with the 2nd best player hurt the majority of the season, he won 4 of 5 games in the first round and is currently tied 1-1 with the Clippers, who guess what, were just as good as the Rockets the entire year!

Do you think if he walked more or called timeouts quicker we would have won 78 games in the regular season, swept the Mavs and be up 2-0 on the Clippers? Or maybe his style is actually pretty effective. Hmmmmm...

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Haven't listened to Podcast, but title alone is a win.

6. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden is averaging 28 points a game... Shooting 52% on 2's and 38% on 3's... Almost 2 steals and 9 assists.

Yeah he has been garbage.... Get out of here.
    Yeah... McHale only soundly out coached Rivers in the second half of game two but give him no credit.

Ugh He was the best player in the NBA and finished second in the MVP voting... He also has been unbelievably clutch this season, oh and BTW Harden only dropped 21 points in the last 14 minutes of game 2...

1 person likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seriously. The adjustments made in the second half completely took Blake Griffin out of the game.

I know, I know, he should have made them from the beginning. If only McHale were as good a coach as clutchfans posters, we'd never lose a game!

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Sorry Clutch, but I'm going to complain that you're supporting McHale. If anything, it would help Morey make the right decision to fire him if you write scathing articles about him that generate local publicity. At least it would give him the impression that no one is satisfied with the coach's performance.

Fans are right to complain that it took the coach 6 freaking quarters to realize, "Hey you know what? Maybe we should look into double teaming the guy who's absolutely destroying us".

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

And keep in mind the exact same issue happened last year vs Portland. The failure of McHale adjusting earlier literally cost us a series advancement, and who knows what happens after that. How are people not seeing this?

Bad coaching can cost games and series, period.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

It is the biggest load of BS. Phil Jackson didn't stand the whole game, Coach Pop used to sit a lot too.... It doesn't really matter, especially in the NBA where the players often have to read and react. Having a coach standing up and scream "Defense! defense!" Doesn't make a damn bit of difference. The coaches running around are doing it because it makes them feel more involved in the game.

It won't be long before some poster on here claims that we missed so many 3's because McHale wasn't on the sidelines pantomiming threes at the same time.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was it just me that glad Harden got that 4th foul early in the 3rd Quarter. The defense improved tremendously after that because frankly, Harden can't guard ANY of the Clippers 1 or 2 and whenever he had to guard them, a blow by occurred with ease. We came back with solid Defense. Harden close it in the 4th Quarter and deserve all the credit for that, but what seems like a bad situation for the Rockets with his 4th foul was quite the opposite, IMO.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mchale made adjustments finally and Harden dropped 32.

We won.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It's really quite hilarious lol

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I see your point Clutch, but if a anything close to a championship is to be in the horizon...its pretty hard to ignore those major flaws.

15. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Well that was quick. We didn't even have to wait for Harden to have another poor game for the Harden Haters to come out and COMPLAIN again as M.K. Bower said.

Jeez. Do you even fan bro?

1 person likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

v=LaPHPQt91w8[​IMG]

17. TheRealAllpro

18. TheRealAllpro

That's like the Chris rock joke. Where ppl say I take care of my kids. You want a cookie? You are suppose to do that.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think everyone's fine if someone states it in a logical way and moves on. But some people are so damned negative, bitter, and repetitive, as if nothing positive can be tolerated.

It made me think this morning: the only thing more whiny than the Clippers? ... yes, some of our fellow Rocket fans. :(

1 person likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's impossible to counter somebody who says, "Yeah, things are nice.....but they could be better." It's such a pointless view to have honestly. Everybody knows this team has shortcomings, but it's not like we're toiling away in mediocrity. This team has a very realistic shot at doing something special THIS YEAR, and we're right smack in the middle of it. Put aside the negativity for 4 seconds, and appreciate where we are. Tied 1-1 in the Western Semifinals! This is something we've only experienced ONCE in the last 18 years. SAVOR IT.