1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Russell Westbrook is gone, will James Harden stay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

3. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Richie_Rich, Clutch and tinman like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I'm cool either way.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Appreciate it, guys. Great way to start the day on my drive into work.

A lot to digest. I don’t have a ton of hope going into the season. Most of that is not knowing if Harden wants to be here and also TF still owning the team. That said, there have been some additions that I’m excited to see if they pan out.

The team as constructed has potential to be very good. I’m just worried about the black cloud that is seemingly still swirling around the team.

So here is to hoping we get good results from Wood, Wall, Cousins and one or two of the new guys along with Harden actually wanting to be here. I think it’s a lot to want to have to go right, though. At least it should be entertaining.

Clutch and ElPigto like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

listening to this now. really worth the time, listen when you get the chance

D-rock, YOLO, TWS1986 and 3 others like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Only about 10 minutes in and I miss these. Always great listens

D-rock, ryan_98 and Clutch like this.
  10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

To me, Harden is likely goner within a year since he refused to sign an extension, and the Nets could have him for a title run. Harden knows that he is not that great to win a title on his shoulder. He could stay if this team becomes better. Morey was a great GM at the beginning, then became to a very good GM with the time, then was a good GM in the end.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Or possibly this whole James Harden unhappy thing was a big conspiracy to get Westbrook out without hurting their friendship.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just finished listening. A little bit over an hour of goodness, with you and @BimaThug covering a broad range of topics. It being several months and an age since the last one, there was a lot to talk about. Bima was the perfect guest to join you and take up the challenge. He's been our resident capologist for quite a while now and I learned from him just how far we are under the hard cap. Stone doesn't have to stand at his desk to tap on it. He can do it from his chair.

Glad to see how impressed the two of you are with Stone. His machinations definitely come straight from the school of Daryl Morey and it's very reassuring. If Fertitta will just let him do his job with a minimum of interference (no sure thing at all), I think we're in good hands. Loved the move to get Wood, no easy task, and agree that he should be considered a core piece of the team going forward. The other young additions are an intriguing mix. Fingers crossed that some of them end up making a positive impact on the court.

Great discussion about Wall and Cousins. Getting Cousins is a real surprise, one I agree is something to be excited about. If he ends up being reasonably healthy, Harden will enjoy playing with him, in my opinion. The same could be said about Harden and Wood.

Wall is Stone's biggest roll of the dice, but while I would have liked more for Westbrook, it's a relief that he's gone. Overall, the makeup of the team now and what Silas can do with it should be fun to watch. If it leads to more wins than most of the league and much of the board likely expects, so much the better, and it just might.

A must listen, folks!

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Should be required listening if you post on this message board.

Hard to argue much with what was said.

D-rock, don grahamleone and Deckard like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

I just want to know before I listen, does Harden get any criticism at all and is he being analysed for his lack of being open and his attitude, his character, dominating the ball leading up to stars wanting to leave?

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

wow, that scratched my itch. great podcast Clutch and Bima.

* agreed Morey was a truly great GM and he'll be missed and nothing but well wishes for him in Philly
    * agreed Harden does need to win back the fans; i love him as a basketball player, but i think he's got to be accountable for his play in the playoffs and his role with the current state of the team.
    * agreed the Cousins signing is fantastic; huge upside
    * agreed the Christian Wood signing is huge, but i wish the rockets would do a better job of evaluating and developing their young talent
    * I just can't get excited about the Russ for Wall trade. Clearly Wall is a good player when healthy, but given the contract, without better compensation this was not a good trade; and that's assuming Wall even gets back to form. Can't help but think the rockets needed to do better given the hole they dug for themselves shipping out all of those picks trading for Russ in the first place.

You never touched on this in the podcast, but despite the fact that it didn't work with Russ, was Tillman a factor in Russ not wanting to be here, and do you think he is a factor in Harden not wanting to be here? There have been rumors to this effect, no idea how real they are.

Thanks!

Invisible Fan, D-rock and Clutch like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

just finished. Good stuff @Clutch @BimaThug. solid points all around that many of us have discussed. question marks for sure this season but it's much more intriguing to see what happens now

D-rock and Clutch like this.
  17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Great job @Clutch for another great podcast. I think Wall will be healthy and ready to go for the start of the season. Biggest goal I’m looking forward to is having Cousins out there for consistent, quality minutes

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Great Podcast! Always appreciate the hard work everyone involved puts in.
    Thank you guys!
    Also Wall will be great next to Harden if he can stay healthy. If he has worked on his 3 and shots, he will be the best fit next to Harden since the 2017-2018 CP3. The guy has amazing court vision. Just insane. Russ was a great scorer but his tunnel vision meant that the more efficient scorer couldn't perform.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Clutch made a great point about sunday's first practice day... We'll know what direction this season is going with how Harden responds to questions. Will he dodge the questions about his trade requests, his outlook, his buy in or will he affirms his commitment to the team, new coach and teammates.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I always enjoy takes by you, Bima and MK because you're even-keel; informed, smart takes that can be critical of the team but still laugh in exasperation about terrible moves or circumstances. Sometimes as Rockets fans all we can do is laugh, but be hopeful. You nail that sentiment here.