1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Role players fuel Rockets in Game 1 win over Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

YESSSSS CLUTCHHHHHHHHH SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS, IVE BE WAITING

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Thanks Clutch, we're so hyped!

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ok, this is gonna be a good start to the day

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Nice podcast.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree this ISN'T the same old playoff Harden. I'm often very critical on Harden in the playoff and have been very curious about how he would perform.

I thought he played a very smart balance game. The early alley-oop to Howard and his other early plays set the tone for his style of play as a very willing passer and a true PG. When team are focused on surrounding him so much, I rather he shoot 4/11 with 11 assists than 6/20 with 6 assists.

In the next game, I would expect Dallas to adjust and would stay closer to the Rocket's shooters. If so, Harden would have an opportunity to take over offensively and would need to for Houston to go up 2-0.

Everyone played solid to great except for Josh Smith. Some of those miss shots might be just energy, but those crazy TO (he had at least 3-4) needs to stop.

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

The fact the role players hit a high percentage of threes and Harden did not get it going, might actually be a blessing in disguise. If Harden get gone for 30-40 points, you know they would just lock him down but now they are forced to make a choice: stick to the shooters more or double and tripple-team Harden more, forcing our role players to replicate what they did in Game 1. Game 2 will be the most important one.

8. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I thought they fouled rondo to take out Smith..

9. onreego

onreego Member

I'm going to say this here. I'm glad an Ariza trade didn't happen like so many posters were open to with the acquisition of Brewer. The man does so many things for this team. He might have struggled mid season but he's meant a lot to the team's success this year.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No matter what happens this year, we need to build around Howard/Harden/Brewer/Ariza/Smith/Jones/DMO.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I really don't get why everyone is criticizing what Cuban said.

Rockets are an incredibly predictable team. We predictably beat the Mavs like we all knew would happen.

1 person likes this.
  12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree.

The role players have to prove they can do it again. And If they do, then can they do it on the road? I have heard players and commentators say that home court is most important for the role players, so these guys need to keep up the energy and not have a let down.

And I hope to see Harden get it going at home. The team will need him to have a big game in Dallas.

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It's not that Cuban said that the Rockets are a predictable team, it's more about the fact that he said the team itself isn't very good. Clearly the Rockets saw that and brought it in game 1. Need to keep it going the rest of the way.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

theres a story for every player here - championship run baby

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Houston didn't have role player last night, we had roll players. Those guys were on a major roll. Good on them to carry the team in a night where Harden and/or Howard didn't have to do it all.

16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

another great pod, thanks clutch

17. JeffB

Supporting Member

My concern is just that: they were roll players. These guys won't be on a roll every night. Better that they consistency fill their roles.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Howard also shouldn't be in foul trouble every night either. The rockets will find their balance.

19. JeffB

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think you are correct. The Rox won without having everything clicking and in sync. A very encouraging win. Good point about Howard. This team is much better than they get credit for. But that old school Oiler/Rocket fan in me.... You know. ;-)

20. awc713

awc713 Member

mavs are so stupid for trading brendan wright and co.

they'd actually be a good matchup against us w/o the rondo trade