1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets take Game 5, but Harden still in a deep funk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

1. CertifiedTroll

One day caterpillar rex will exhaust all sources of power and become the moth lord

2. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

SweetLou....Oh I'm sorry. Let me change my original comment to fit your response. Harden has been effective because Matthews has forced him to go to his right. This is the only reason why Harden is struggling. Who knew it was that simple?

How's that?

3. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Howard alone is not enough. We need other offensive options. JLin just showed us that in game 5. How about the coaches setting up some plays to free up Daniels for some 3s? Only after we show Portland that other players can hurt them too that they may reduce their defensive intensity on our stars making them more efficient. So our coaches better be ready for JLin getting trapped or doubled when he drives in game 6 and have some plays set up for that.

4. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

It is puzzling if this is to do with his mental state or opponent's defenses or the refs not calling fouls. But regardless, you add last year's playoff games and those in OKC, he has much more bad games than good ones. Since this pattern is getting more and more obvious, Houston management should really look into this and make adjustment. Either trade him for a more reliable playoff savy star, change his style of play, or just ask other players not Howard to take up the slack in offenses. Lin, Daniel, Parson, Jones, Bev. They can all be the offensive options instead of Harden.

There should be more team ball and much less dependence on Harden's ISOs. The team should develop Lin to back up Harden on play-making & offense ON PURPOSE, not as an after-thought when Harden is off. Bev is good with defense but not a playmaker. So Lin should be given the role as the other playmaker. It should be an established strategy. They should share the minutes, say 35 & 30 and not Harden 40+ & Lin 20. That way Lin will have more minutes and give him more confidence. If Lin is kept for next season, why not try this out to see if team ball piloted by Lin is actually better off for the team? Lin makes mistakes. But all young players do that. Only more PT can help them mold into more reliable & consistent players. Now that Lin shows us he can take over in Linsanity mode in a playoff game when Harden disappears oh so regularly, it is time to give Lin some more burns, as a confident Lin can change the outcome of even a playoff game line in Game 5 (and Game 3).

5. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

By saying that Lin should be the other playmaker as an established strategy, I hope that also means that McHale will not pull him when he has a TO or missing shots or a few dumb mistakes. If Harden, Parson or Bev are not pulled for making those mistakes, Lin should not have such a short leash such that he will get tentative or losing confidence in himself. He should be allowed to play through his mistakes (especially in regular season) so he can be more confident in his ability as a young player. Just look at MCW in the 76ers and how many mistakes he made and still starting. OK, we are a playoff team and they are not. But if we cannot depend on Harden solely for playmaking & offense, Lin is the logical backup for that and you have to give him time to develop. No easier way unless Houston can trade him next season.

6. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Because they are all capable PGs with good playmaking ability as well as scoring. They need the freedom to play their game as a true PG should. Dragic & Lowry also play much longer than Lin and now they are their teams' floor general whereas Lin is treated often an afterthought with very different roles than his strength as a playmaking, attacking PG.

7. LAC

LAC Member

Harden may be in a deep funk. But during his time on court, he is +9 to the team. The only other Rockets who have a positive +/- through 5 games are Jones and Daniels but their +/-figure is not very indicative of their impact because of limited usage.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes sense given that the Blazers defense is geared to stop Harden. That opens up opportunity for other players. So Harden doesn't have to score to effect the game.

And whenever I see the stats, I am amazed to see that Harden isolation plays have been very efficient this series. I hope the coaches incorporate some sets to get him going.

9. steady

steady Member

I have a feeling Harden is going to have a good game tonight.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I hope so. Only way we winning tonight IMO.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed. Portland is going to absolutely bring it. We have yet to see a GOOD night for the Rockets in the playoffs (on par with what they're capable of this year), so now would be the time..

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

looks like Old Man Rock really pissed him off...

13. booster rocket

Mchale needs to actually coach tonite. He has learned to at least adjust the starting lineup, let's see if he can make some well timed in-game adjustments as well. Daniels needs to go off from downtown too.

14. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Soooo what's up haters. He's played ok, but c'mon man the D and refs.
    Just look through all the threads stop the hate

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The thing is I agree with all of this. I am sorry if I offended you Clutch/Dave Hardisty, but I did believe Lin was better than you give him credit for. I am not saying he is great. I have never said that. But what I think is he is better than most give him credit for. And I do believe he is closer to Beverly than you think. Nothing personal about that just my stupid opinion.

I think he played better in the playoffs than Bev. I have swayed on my opinion of him. Just as he has swayed on his level of play. He is most definitely inconsistent and he has most definitely not shown his best game consistently. And I have based my opinion of him accordingly.

So if you say my opinion is not consistent it is because Lin was not consistent. But it's just my opinion. Nothing personal. I don't know if you took it personal and I apologize for my opinion that is only based on what I think if it offended you. I admit my opinion might have been swayed by the fact Lin is a devout christian. I am christian and ad mire people who were there faith on there shoulder such as Tebow and Lin. But it was never personal.

I wish yuou would unlock me but if you do not I get it and that's all I have to say. I love this board and I hate not being able to post here. But if that's the way it is, so be it.

God Bless You Dave Hardisty, I have met you at a Rockets game before and next time I see you at a Rockets game I will say Hello and be polite. Life is too short to have enemies. Good luck and goodbye.

Old Man Rock / Ron Cantu