1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On Corey Brewer's Debut and the Looming Josh Smith Signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%

Harden showed up for two games...he's the star. T-Jones was just a 2nd year player. Hard to pin the series on him.

This is just wrong. T-Jones is too slow to guard SFs. I know that we had Parson last year, so T-Jones, was never going to play SF, but notice how you didn't see T-Jones get time at the 3 when Parsons was out.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That is truth! In a good way, Morey is cold. He sticks with his principals. He assigns "values" to players and will buy at that value. Morey doesn't get "fixated" on a player to the point he "over pays." (like most of us on the forums would do). If the cost is too high, he goes to the next player on his list.

Cuban on the other hand, is more emotional, and is more likely to over pay. Rockets know this and probably, as reported, tried to drive up the price on Rondo to make Cuban overpay.

Morey won't do that on Dragic. He loves him, I am sure, but won't throw the kitchen sink at him.

3. Man

Man Contributing Member

Perhaps, but I think it's also been mentioned that at a certain point in which you are positioned to win and need that one extra player or move, you make it to maximize chance of winning in that timeframe, even if it seems a bit less rational.

Of course, you still try to maximize input value for output value.

Similarly, some owners probably are willing to pay more just to make sure they get the roster/pieces they want.

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

Would agree with many other posts that as of late would really hesitate to let Dmo go. Has surely increased his value with his post game.
    Been thinking lately we need a go-to guy for our second unit. They have trouble scoring and cause our leads to wither.
    With Smith on board, that now makes it possible to move Dmo to our second unit.
    We still have Howard/Harden and others to make things happen with our starters.

Howard
    Smith
    Ariza
    Harden
    Bev

Second Unit
    DMo (Post scorer)
    Brewer (Defense/transition)
    Papa (playmaker/transition)
    Terry (perimeter threat)
    Canaan (playmaker/perimeter threat)

+ Black/Shved as extra pieces

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I am hoping that we got Smith for depth, not so we can't just start tradign for assets again. I would be ok with letting Dmo go for Dragic but ONLY if we get T Jones back first. That would be a smart move for both teams.

6. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

I know its Christmas but no way they got DMO for 6 months rental of Dragic...DMO may already be player with a higher impact than Dragic and imagine in the future...when he gets the right minutes , touches and coaching...

for gods sake dragic is only a guard averaging 16/4 and DMO is a skilled big, one of the best rim protectors, two way player, making the clutch shots whenever given the opportunity and replacing sucessfully the best center in the league, making his team 2nd best defensive team in the league with 4 starters injured...I know its Christmas but Morey isnt Santa Clause in Phoenix...hes our Santa Clause...no way hes giving up DMO for an average guard...

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm assuming he would agree to extend or we wouldn't trade for him. Morey isn't stupid. Lets also not forget how great TJ was playing before he went down. To have a guard that could go for thirty on a team ranked 20th in offensive efficiency would be a great asset come playoff time. It would also give us a legit creator on rare nights that Hardens is off his game or sick.

Most of our offense comes from Harden when we face the toughest defenses in the league, Portland, GSW they will just key in on Harden and if we go to our bigs they can just foul them and send them to the line. Dragic would make us very scary.

8. Nils

Nils Member

Not to be rude, but we really need to stop with the hyperbole.....DMo is not an elite defensive player....his limited metrics may show something right now, but it's a very small sample size. The eye test shows something quite different. While not a bad defender, he is slow-footed, not a great athlete, and is still very raw. He has been eaten alive by most good players up to this point. He's young, so it's ok to assume that he improves into a plus defender--but he isn't that right now. I've seen the words "great rim protector"....he averages about a block every other game that he plays....Josh Smith, for example, blocks almost 2 shots per game....and Dwight more than that. They are our elite rim protectors....On another topic...Goran Dragic is not an average guard...he was All-NBA last year. Only two PG were said to have had a better year than him. While his numbers are down some this year, he is splitting the position with two other very good PGs--this will eat into your stats. He is still a great shooter and playmaker. Come on, people!! You're better than this!! Merry Christmas..

9. jumpshotjones

jumpshotjones Member

There is a guard on the team like that- Isaiah Canaan.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Against the league's best in the playoffs, you must be joking

11. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

On the other hand Dragic scored poorly(13pts) and with poor efficiency (5-14 , 0-6 for 3pt) against our injury depleted team lacking 4 starters...good luck with such scoring and creativity in playoffs...He created nothing for PHo in that game... they were playing the worst basketball i have seen in a longtime...OVERRATED as hell:eek:

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You should fix your siggy.

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You need glasses.

DD

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I had to add after re-watching. Brewer is indeed electric

15. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Rim protection is not just about blocked shots. He is top 5 right now at opponent field goal percentage allowed at the rim.

You don't even consider moving Dmo until the is more clarity on the Jones injury and how Smith pans out. Dmo has another step in him

16. anchel

anchel Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

DMo is an above average position defender, he needs to work on his 1on1 defense.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wait - what's the topic of this thread?

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

FWIW, Sean Elliott was carving up Dmo on the telestrator this game on the Spurs play by play. There was one particularly egregious crunch time play where a Ariza was forcing the defender right towards a pick and Dmo was shading the wrong side of the pick entirely which gave the Spurs an easy bucket late in the 4th. He was also out of position on the Bonner 3 although he did recover somewhat

20. basketballholic

FWIW Sean Elliott spent 75% of his on-air time cranking on how bad the Rockets were in transition defense, and how bad DMo and Dwight were and 25% of this time discussing his own team.

Next to Austin Carr I have never heard a worse color guy. Elliott makes Clyde seem like Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy.