1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On Corey Brewer's Debut and the Looming Josh Smith Signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

I agree. A mid round pick isn't that valuable but you hope phoenix bites on that and a capella or canaan. Papa just doesn't have enough upside. Only question is if we can come out of it with Donatas.

2. basketballholic

No. Morey didn't go all-in on Bosh. That's why we're sitting here with options now.

The moves for Bosh hurt us. No doubt about it. We lost Parsons. And we lost our pick in the Lin trade. But.....all-in? Nope. We're sitting here today with the Pels pick and other valuable assets and plenty of cap flexibility with a team that has like the 4th best winning percentage in the league right now.

The window for this team is just now opening. Yes, Dragic makes us a lot better. But losing Motie hurts us up front. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul. A team has to have at least 3 quality bigs in order to win a championship in today's NBA. Take away Motie and we're scrambling up front.

Mark my words. He won't go all in for Dragic on an expiring contract. Either Dragic comes at the right price or there WILL BE OTHER OPTIONS at the trade deadline that won't cost us future flexibility and have us overpaying for an asset.

3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

That exactly! Although I'd put in Schved over Canaan and even let them have their pick of either Dorsey or Black (assuming we get Smith).
    I think we'd be unstoppable if Morey could pull all this off.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

MK has totally missed the mark with Josh Smith especially with him saying Josh Smith was on the decline in Atlanta.

He was 18 pt 8.5 rebound 4+ assist guy in his last season in Atlanta while playing some of the best defense in the league. He is averaging 4.7 assists this season on a team with no shooters at all.

Josh Smith is not a very efficient shooter, but he does many things on an elite level at his position. 4.7 assists would be the second highest on the team. For perspective, he is better than Kostas in almost every category except for assist rate and he is also better on defense.

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

Great listen.

6. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

if this was earlier in the season I would of traded Dmo for Dragic,
    but now..... Dmo is now showing us things and doing things the team needs that he wasn't showing us at the start of the season. When Dwight is out of the game he still gives us a legit 7'0 on the court that actually has a good post up game when our outside shots aren't falling, and his defense has been better.

7. varughese.arun

Donatas doesn't need to post 20 per game.
    If Donatas can average us 12 pts, 10 rebounds, and give us a strong defensive presence during the play-offs, Rockets get to WCF.

The problem last year wasn't with Harden not being "fresh" or whatever... Last year T.Jones didn't show up to play, and the rockets didn't defend well.

Also, T. Jones is not a big. He's a 3 thats forced to play the 4 over D-mo because he was able to get more boards.

If we give up D-Mo, for a Guard, you think T. Jones is going to, somehow, do better in this year's playoffs? Especially after missing all these games... Nope.

We can't afford to go so small.

8. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

This.

9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Good stuff, thanks

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you don't have to give up DMO for Dragic.

1. It's a bad trade because there is no guarantee Dragic would resign at the end of the year. That's a huge risk to take. He is going to opt out regardless and he could go to the Knicks or Lakers.

2. Suns are in a tough pickle. They know he is going to opt out and they know he is an UFA and have to suspect he will take a starter job somewhere else where he will finish 4th quarters. Their leverage is declining.

If I am Houston, I offer up the 1st round pick, Capela, 2nd round picks, and filler for Dragic. I think the Suns will be very tempted to bite.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Some part of me thinks that deal is what Morey is working on, but he's being patient with it.

He's not going to give up what he doesn't need to...

I really think he gets Dragic and keeps Dmo

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And for the Suns if they do this trade and tank a bit they get a good pick, they get NO's pick, they can get capela. They have a lot to rebuild or traded with.

I'd take that versus losing Dragic for nothing.

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

1) Yes to Josh Smith at a paltry contract that itself can be waived or traded later if need be. This would be another high talent to cost contract almost like having a rookie contract but with realized potential. That's an absolute luxury that we need to balance out our big contract guys

2) Motiejunas's "sell high" value is greater than Dragic's "buy low" value; don't give him up in a trade. We have plenty of other pieces that could be moved instead, and I won't even cry if that includes Papanikolaou (since we have Brewer now)! Dragic & Harden both driving with left side dominant skills is exactly what will push us to definite contender status

3) Shved is going to be big for us until the Dragic trade or if the Dragic trade doesn't happen. Our plan is to make him our tertiary playmaker behind Harden, Beverley, but probably supplanting Beverley. He's another guy who McHale thinks has experience due to playing in Europe. I think he'll do great as our primary backup ball handler; you can never have enough reliable ball handlers/playmakers on the team.

4) Do not trade Motiejunas! He's a two way player on a rookie contract that we can trade next year if need be. We need consolidated talent on the roster and right now we cannot condense more talent in Motiejunas' spot than a 7-footer who has superior post moves, can shoot the 3 if needed, runs the floor, defends the paint with length and by positioning. He is extremely valuable to us and will be in the playoffs as well

14. raining threes

DMo for Dragic isn't going to happen. That's not how Morey does things.

Morey will probably offer the NOP pick/K-Pap/Shved/Capela future 2nd and maybe Canaan for Dragic. Shved was traded for so that his 3.2 salary would be helpful in facilitating a trade at the deadline.

If Pheonix doesn't bite then Morey will move on. I predict that Morey will make a move for either MCW or Wroten if he cant get Dragic.

Morey will not let Pheonix hold him over a barrel.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i highly doubt morey shoots for mcw/wroten

mvc is trash; wroten may have something to show for..but not starting PG worthy

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Awesome podcast. Love the speculation!

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Spot on

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

1. PHX is saying now that IT is available; so they are trying to resolve the logjam by moving IT, perhaps maxing the Dragon out...
    2. PHX wants to compete now, they have picks and prospects galore: Ennius, Goodwin, TJ warren, the LAL pick..
    3. They absolutely need competent post presence. kief is their only OK big and he's not big enough. Len is too young. Plum has regressed...

So any rocket offer around Capela, Canaan, NOP pick for Dragon is a non starter. TJ+kPap+Nick Johnson (local kid) for IT, I can see it... But anything Dragon centric starts with DMo.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I kind of feel that an IT/Bledsoe combo would suit them more than Bledsoe/Dragic and cost less as well leaving money for another key player

20. wise_man

wise_man Member

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!