1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: James Harden makes his play for the throne

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Loved the podcast. Besides some excellent stuff about Harden and Ariza (great props from you guys for Ariza, and well deserved), what stood out to me were the comments about the trade for Dragic that wasn't, and the play of Donuts. What MK said about DMo not boxing out on defense was on target. Clearly, the guy is "teachable," and I hope he figures it out quickly. He'll be crucial going forward as long as Dwight is out, and after he comes back. Speaking of Dwight, the two of you discussed whether Donuts would remain a starter when he comes back. I don't think he will. I think Jones will be, with DMo being the backup 5 and 4. That comes from a fan of Donuts (and donuts, to be honest!).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch: Now let's talk about DMo's rebounding
    MK: UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great podcast gentlemen!

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Dmo is a better fit next to Dwight. Better at finding Dwight, better at baby hook finishes, his rebounding deficiencies are less important next to Dwight. I think Dmo is also better at the spot up 3.

Prigioni/Brewer/Jones/Smith off the bench just have the elite energy feel to it.

All this said, if it's about being ready for playoffs, all we have to ask ourselves is: who does a less bad job on Aldridge/Dirk/Zbo/Griffin/Ibaka. I think Dmo is bigger and moves his feet better, and less likely to be backed down into the paint, but he's not great in that area either.

Maybe the truth is that Josh Smith or Dwight Howard will be the ones guarding these guys in crunch time.

Which is my way of saying I think Dmo starts next to Dwight, but I have no idea.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's strange you say that, honestly I feel the complete opposite, individually DMo is better offensively than Jones in some respects, but playing alongside Howard I feel like Jones is the better fit. He is very good at moving without the ball under the basket to find himself open when defenders are drawn to Dwight. He can get you 20 points 10 rebound without a play being run for him. He's also better in transition, the starting unit needs a PF who can run the floor, handle the ball. He can also pass the ball to Howard on the lob nicely.

And Dwight always goes for weak side blocks it is important to have a better rebounder in there.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I too think Jones is the better fit next to Dwight. he consistently makes plays without requiring offensive sets designed to get him the ball. Although DMo is now superior to Dwight in his post game, the fact remains that the two of them together on the court have some redundancies that make coexisting more difficult. I wouldn't trust any of our big men at this point, Josh Smith included, to hit a Scola/Ibaka type 18ft open jump shot. That's about all we're missing right now in terms of maximizing space on the court.

#25 Spacemoth, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In the podcast I loved that Clutch and MK brought up the question of what to do with DMo/Tjones when Dwight comes back. Initially, we all assumed Tjones would go to the bench...but now? We'll see.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Speed is his issue
    The Slow Plodding PF is a thing of the past [he is not very very slow]
    I think he actually can match up will at the Center Position
    when he gets more strength and toughness

I think he will play well with Dwight as well

I see him as a C/PF

Rocket River

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Spot on, good work from Cluth the gawd.

9. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He should get out of the 1st round without being a 3rd fiddle first.

10. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

One thing i noticed with Jones is he got really really good at contesting jumpers on the perimeter. Like so good he either blocks the shot or nearly blocks it. Perhaps it's something he gave a lot of thought to after getting burned by LMA's jumpers last year but I don't remember him being able to contest that well last year.

11. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

Love the podcasts and listen to them every time, thank you guys!

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I keep hearing people say

"Well people just want to see someone new win MVP, if that wasn't the case Lebron would be the obvious winner".

I don't see it. Harden's stats are better, and Hardens team has more W's then Lebron WHILE having a less talented roster. How in the hell is Lebron still the best player in the league this year?

Durant is out because of injuries. Davis's team isn't winning enough.

Harden, Curry and Westbrook (dark horse) are the MVP race this year IMO.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The fact that people even consider Lebron after him basically sleepwalking through the first 30 games of the season is proof that it's largely a popularity contest. Harden's been dominant from Day 1.

14. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

[​IMG]
    Came here to post this and this thread title seemed appropriate.

15. Vivid

Vivid Member

16. Mattician

Mattician Member

Great listen.

17. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

They start talking about Dmo's rebounding and I say...duh. He was rebounding well, but it was never a strength, since Jones came back naturally his rebounding went down as Jones is stranger at that.

18. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

I just Dwight is ready for the playoffs.

19. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

I just hope Dwight is ready for the playoffs I meant. :)

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member