1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Is Paolo Banchero in Houston's future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 22, 2022.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

me too!

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is a really good point that isn’t being brought up enough. We don’t have to force Sengun into a starting role anytime soon. He was the 16th pick and as long as we trade Wood there would be plenty of minutes for paolo, a defensive anchoring center, and Sengun. We’ll see if Garuba develops into a really good player, but it shouldn’t matter right now about the fit between Paolo and Sengun. When u look at Paolo in a vacuum, he would be an incredible get at #3. And when u think of fit, it’s really about Jalen Green, which should be a fine fit.

3. dmoneybangbang

Frankly, Sengun would get more opportunities to run the offense off the bench, which is where his true value is in my opinion.

I agree about it really being about Jalen Green's fit with whoever we take 3rd and agree that fit isn't much concern with Green. Green isn't very ball dominant at this point and the possible two man game between Green and Paolo is intriguing.

D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Try the Spotify link Clutch posted. That worked fine for me.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  5. Houstonfan2022

Send him a Rockets jersey.:)

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lmao, no! Get #6 or #7 plus have a 2nd rounder added.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Banchero and I think he will be an allstar in the league. I'm just not a fan of his fit with the Rockets. Trust me, if they pick him I will be happy to have him as a Rocket.

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Charlotte has been weirdly transparent about their lottery representative the last three years:

2020 - Devante' Graham, who was their leading scorer and was entering the final year of his rookie deal as a 2nd-round pick. Plays out his 3rd year, enters RFA and is sign-and-traded after not coming to a contract agreement with the Hornets.

2021 - Miles Bridges, who was eligible for a rookie extension after his 3rd year, reportedly was convinced by Klutch Sports and Rich Paul to turn down a 4-year, $60M deal that would have been decidedly below market. Bridges is probably the top restricted free agent on the market this summer now; the only question is whether Charlotte will max him or look to play hardball like they did with Kemba that ultimately led to his exit (which actually ended up being the correct move).

2022 - PJ Washington, who is also eligible for a rookie extension after completing his 3rd year in the league. Time will tell whether he accepts a deal, but you have to think that if he doesn't, he might be on the move...

snowconeman22, D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah I remember when he laughed at us for taking Yao over Jay Williams too. I don't think I have ever seen Vitale be right on the draft. It makes me more alarmed, not less, that he's touting Banchero.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who really knows? Convenient for your argument Williams had a career ending injury before his 2nd season. Whole draft in 02 was a dud minus 2-3 guys. Still funny to see people like you diminish a guy like Dicky V. Let me guess Eric Musselman doesn’t know anything about basketball either right cuz he said nice things about Paolo! Eeeek! :D:rolleyes:

Deckard likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nope. Musselman has forgotten more about basketball than I ever knew. But Dickie V is a gimmicky tv personality, not a talent evaluator. He's also an idiot.

D-rock likes this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

That’s terrible. If I’m trading #3 for #7, I want another lottery pick added. Not a freaking 2nd rounder.

2nd rounder is added if you are trading down from 15 to 17. Not from 3 to 7 in a top heavy draft.

#52 duluth111222, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

incredible post. Thank u!

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well good for you! You think you are a smarter basketball man than Dicky V. I guess I just have a soft spot for the guy. Far from an idiot that’s for sure.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Paolo Banchero's Houston Rockets..... Hoping he is still available at 3... I'm not even worried about this one, its a no brainer....

xtruroyaltyx, larry cook, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  16. Houstonfan2022

Knicks may pick Jalen Duren at no. 11. They need a center.

18pbr likes this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Member

That’s what I meant. You are effectively passing on one of the top 3 prospects for an added 2nd round pick. If we move from 3 we need significant assets in return. This isn’t the NFL draft where a second is that valuable. Why not just pick at 3 and buy a second rounder? We would need a future unprotected lottery pick at minimum and even then I wouldn’t make that move. Luka was the #3 pick and was traded for Trae Young #5 as well as #5 the next year iirc. In that particular draft the top 5 all had star potential and without that being the case it likely wouldn’t have been enough to get a deal done. We aren’t getting Trae if we trade the pick. We would miss out on a potential star for Keegan Murray and a 2nd round pick. Atlanta traded #3 for two top 5 picks in a draft with a better top 5 and you are proposing to trade #3 for #6 or 7 and a second round pick in a 3 man draft?

#57 Spooner, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    D-rock, joshuaao, Salvy and 1 other person like this.
  18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

This isn't the NFL. A second rounder isn't worth much at all, especially on the Rockets, who are already going to be hard pressed to find playing time for their #23 overall pick from a year ago. I see no way I would trade down, especially out of the top 5, unless I got a fully unprotected pick to chase Scoot/Wemby next year.

The last 3 times that a trade down has happened in the top 5:

2018: (#3, Luka Doncic) for (#5, Trae Young, plus a top-5 protected pick the following year)

2017: (#1, Markelle Fultz) for (#3, Jayson Tatum, plus a first rounder from the Lakers if it fell between (#2-5) (a team that had picked #2 in three consecutive years), or a 2019 unprotected pick from the Kings)

2008: (#3, OJ Mayo, Mike Miller (and salary ballast)) for (#5, Kevin Love, and even more salary ballast (~$35M in contracts that would play less than 1 additional season)

If you want to stretch back to 2006, I can't really figure out what Chicago was thinking when they traded (#2, LaMarcus Aldridge, PLUS a second rounder) for (#4, Tyrus Thomas, and Viktor Khryapa), so maybe it is possible. I try to block out the entire 2006 draft and season from my mind, when the Trailblazers sniped the Rockets' pre-arranged trade for Brandon Roy. But what is less remembered is that the Rockets threw away their lottery position in the second to last game of that season, coming back from 8 points down in the final 1:48 of a game by FULL COURT PRESSING. Meanwhile, the Timberwolves got rewarded for the infamous Mark Madsen Game, where Madsen shot 43% from 3. Correction, took 43% of his total career 3 point attempts in a single game, and shot 1-15 total, in one of the most blatant displays of tanking ever. I absolutely was having flashbacks during KJ Martin's buzzer beater versus the Spurs last year. Thankfully, the hand of God was there to gently nudge that ball off the rim and deliver onto us the #3.

D-rock, Rashmon and jordnnnn like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Less remembered! Ha! Damn Jeff Van Gundy...most of us were furious that he did that. Couldn't believe it. @Clutch damn near had a coronary.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member