1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and NBA Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

How much would it suck if Morey had to move Harden to bring in CP3 and DH?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Larry Coon said that Bledsoe/Griffin was never and is not on the table. I tend to believe him. Griffin alone is a better deal than anyone can give the Lakers if it is on the table, we're screwed.

I'm convinced we should try to deal Asik + Lin + Robinson to the Lakers for Howard and Nash. This preserves enough 2014 Lakers cap space to pursue two max FA's.

It's not ideal for us to take on Nash's contract given his health and his age, but if it came down to it, I think that package would entice the Lakers to play ball seeing as it keeps them competitive and barely affects their 2014 cap space. Also, I think with Beverley on the team we can afford a lot of rest for Nash, keep his minutes at 25/game till late in the season.

I think there are a couple of teams which we may do deals with:

- Utah needs a PG and has cap space. Lindsay (ex Rockets front office) joined the Jazz, and he must be well aware of Lin's strengths/weaknesses. I think there's a good fit there for them to take him for cap space, but we'd have to sweeten it with young assets which they consider valuable like maybe T-Rob or draft picks.

- Chicago, as far as I can tell, have the largest trade exception in the league at $5m. If they are thinking about amnestying Boozer, then we can send them 1 or 2 PF's for that TPE. They need some depth at the 4 since they would only have Gibson there. They could still use their MLE to shore up other positions too.

I think if we find a taker for Lin and Howard commits to us, we'll have Paul in the bag. If we're not getting Paul, then I'm excited to see how much Lin can improve this offseason.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Was thinking about this. I would consider it if someone took Lin off our hands too.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That won't happen, no way, no how.

5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Sorry, out so I can't comment fully. But Coon's comment does not mean that LAC's deal will NEVER be on the table. It might later on. Just like how LAL's current statements of NEVER doing a SnT could very well change as losing Dwight becomes a reality.

Also, I don't think we can do Lin + Asik + Trob for Nash + Howard under salary matching rules. We'd be sending out over $20M in salary, and hence (above $19.6M) we can only take back 125% incoming (plus $100k). Howard's max + Nash's $9.3M obviously exceed this.

6. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Awesome! More please!

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They could always put it on the table, but the rest of the team would have such poor depth that I tend to think it's unlikely unless they find a taker for DeAndre Jordan's horrendous contract.

Regarding the other trade, we can acquire Nash for nothing and then trade the 3 guys for Howard. Technically two separate trades, but could be agreed beforehand. Obviously puts CP3 out of the question.

#27 Mathloom, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I know I'm going to suffer/get flame for critiquing but... why are the podcasts so long? I have to say I love your commentary Clutch and everyone else involved, but 30 minutes is way too long to hear this stuff. Maybe cut it in half?

Still, thank you for doing this. I really do like that we have a podcast now! Love the concept... always insightful.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dear <a href="https://twitter.com/CP3">@CP3</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a>, Want to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WIN&amp;src=hash">#WIN</a>? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cometohouston&amp;src=hash">#cometohouston</a>!!! or watch <a href="https://twitter.com/LeBronJames">@LeBronJames</a> hoard all the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBA&amp;src=hash">#NBA</a> trophies. Love,
    <a href="https://twitter.com/D12toHouston">@D12toHouston</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey">@dmorey</a></p>&mdash; txppratt (@txppratt) <a href="https://twitter.com/txppratt/statuses/337740933447692288">May 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe the consequence is real, particularly if DHoHo goes outside the City of Angels (who play in another county, but that's another story). The perception of TheRox and DM the GM would take a palpable hit.

12. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Portland doesn't have the money to sign him.

13. DH12HOUSTON

DH12HOUSTON Member

CP3 is most likely staying in LA. Keep Lin and get Howard and see his pick and roll game flourish.

14. DH12HOUSTON

DH12HOUSTON Member

Where is that in the podcast?

15. DH12HOUSTON

DH12HOUSTON Member

Nevermind found it! Cool rumor!

16. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. I was hoping it was longer. I think 30min is the right amount on most topics though.

Clutch, this is going to be a weekly thing now? I sure hope so. Are there any plans to do a draft review? Although we don't have a 1st rounder this year, it will still be interesting to hear what could be available for us.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good stuffs!

Can we do Skype interviews like they do on espn? Clutch can do them with different members of CF every other week or so. I don't know if that'll be a huge hassle though.

18. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

19. harden man

harden man Member

Yea well this is pretty smart BUT the hate for Lin which I dont understand is flourishing on this board.And you can spout all the stats you want, you can talk about upside and it simply doesnt matter, these guys dont care... GET RID OF LIN, HE SUCKS! its all they think.

Harden turns the ball over 17 times in 2 games. LIN FAULT....everything is Lin's fault. Caught the wife cheating with 3 guys at the same time? LIN FAULT>

Car blew a tire...LINS FAULT
    kid got sick, LINS FAULT
    lost my job, LINS FAULT...

It's stupid but its who they are.

And here's some harsh truths....PAUL IS NOT COMING TO HOUSTON....houston will be lucky to get Howard. And another truth, a quality 4 and saving some cap space would likely be as good an option.

Let these young players develop, theres something really good about being young with lots of up side. Even Harden who was pretty darn good has a lot more potential.....give them time...a really good YOUNG 4 and keep the team together.....years of winning for Houston.

1 person likes this.
  20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Feel free to fill this out when you get a chance

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.