1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patrick Beverley hopes to return to Rockets, but Chandler Parsons is calling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 29, 2015.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Can someone explain the details of being restricted free agent? For example, if the Mavs offer Bev 3yr/15mil , then can any other team offer Bev a deal too? In other words, if the Mavs make that offer, can another team like the Lakers offer a 3yr/18mil...if they can, which team will the Rockets have to match in order to keep Bev should the Rockets decide to match. Also, how many days can the Rockets wait before deciding to match or not.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I think it's whatever offer sheet Bev signs first. The Rockets are then on the clock for a couple of days to match.

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Ok. Thanks for info. Btw, i wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets go after Brandon Knight if Bev leaves.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Multiple teams may make him an offer , be it verbal or written. Whichever he actually signs is the one you have to match & starts the clock ticking.

5. Cranberry_Juice

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Pat won't get a max or near max so I think he's going to stay. Don't be surprised if Morey trades for and signs a point guard though i nbetween the offer sheet. Dallas is most likely going to offer Pat something he probably won't be able to refuse. It's going to be an annoying three days.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think Morey should match any offers up to $4M/year. Bev is still one of the best D and 3 players at that position, and he would be a nice thorn against opposing teams backup pgs.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Every time I start to describe what I think the Rockets need at PG, it's essentially Patrick Beverley with a better jump shot.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pretty much. Conley more or less. That type of player would fit the system and personnel to a tee. But I wouldn't mind an extreme playmaker. That type of player would take the ball out of Harden's hands a bit more than most of y'all would like but I'd be curious to see how that player made Harden and more importantly, Dwight better.

A player in the Beverley mold doesn't make his teammates better. It's actually a pretty rare quality. So rare that it makes guys with glaring weaknesses in their games like Rubio, Rondo and Josh Smith valuable.

10. MadMax

I agree that Conley would be ideal.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Beverley's jump shot isn't bad.

Beverley's problems are:

1. He can't pass and create shots for others. He has no court vision. So even though he's a point guard, he's not really a point guard.

2. It might be okay if he can't create for others if he could create his own shot and score... but he can't do that either.

1 person likes this.
  12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Pretty much. I've said for years that the Rockets need a poor man's Derek Fisher alongside Harden. And what was Fisher but Bev with a reliable 3-point shot and better defense. Although that was before they lost Parsons. Now they probably do need a legit PG who can make plays for himself and others since Harden's the only other one on the roster who can do that.

13. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

I think it is a little more than that, he (Beverly) isn't a playmaker. He can't create his own shot. He improved his three-point shooting when his feet were set this season. He could even improve more this offseason, but it isn't what we need out of the starting point guard spot. We need someone who can attack the paint and get our big's easy looks (especially Dwight since he is limited to putbacks and lobs).

Lawson, Conley, etc. ...

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Did people watch Beverley play this year? Some seriously need to watch some games, because he was actually hurting us on defense, but making his shots. Unfortunately, he became AB 2.0 with running around like a chicken with his head cut off 90% of the time.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bev is fine as the backup "pg".

The starting pg must be able to create and attack the paint. Other than Harden, we had nobody who could breakdown defenses, so all the opposing defenders had to do was to focus on Harden, making his job all the while much more difficult. While Morey is at it, get cheap playmaker from the d-league or overseas and try to groom this person as the third guard (too many injuries on starting pgs all around).

There is room for Lawson, Bev and a third pg. Just get rid of the deadweight players whom McHale had no confidence as contributors: Johnson, Papa, and Dorsey. Those three do not belong in a championship squad.

The core of players could perform so much better had we had a couple of key guys, so I think we are pretty close to being a formidable basketball team, one worthy of DD's contender status.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually, he had a stretch where he was hurting us on defense and NOT making his shots. To be honest, I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Rockets didn't bring Bev back next season provided they have a replacement waiting in the wings. Under no circumstances should he be given a big contract(i.e. 6-7 mil/yr) and/or made the long-term starter at PG.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I didn't like Bev's play this season before he was hurt. He lost something imo. He was better the year before. It was an unfortunate drop-off in his level of play.

I have a feeling he is going to get overpaid and the Rockets will not match because of that. He could very well be a Mav. He's going to have to give up some dollars to stay with Houston and that's not happening if he is signing an offer sheet where it is likely to be more than the Rockets are willing to pay. I doubt the Rockets are going to tell him they will match any offer like they did with Parsons.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

no its not that simple. they need an actual starting pg. one that can handle the ball and actually make plays for others, in addition to qualities of knocking down open shots, playing sold d, etc..

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Patrick Beverley will be coming back from torn ligaments in his wrist that shelved him for the final 11 regular season games and all of the playoffs. He'll be 27 in July. He is a pit bull on defense. Yet, injuries kept Houston from realizing its dream of having a healthy Beverley, Ariza and Howard on the floor this season for long stretches, providing on-ball disruption, weakside anticipation and rim protection.

Beverley will be a restricted free agent this summer and he hasn't been able to stay healthy for two seasons. We saw what the Dallas Mavericks did last summer in gumming up the Rockets' works, putting an insane offer sheet on Chandler Parsons that Houston did not match. Well, Dallas still has a ton of cap room and needs a starting point guard. And owner Mark Cuban just plain ol' doesn't like the Rockets. It should be a concern.

And whether or not the Mavs make a run at Beverley, the Rockets will have to decide if he's the long-term solution at the point.

They've eyed Rajon Rondo in the last couple of years, up to the minute the Boston Celtics sent him to Dallas, and he's obviously free now. The Houston Chronicle reported before the playoffs that Rondo remained at the top of the Rockets' list in the offseason. But having witnessed his meltdown firsthand in their first-round series against the Mavs, how confident can the Rockets remain that Rondo is still a top point guard -- regardless of his friendship with Smith?

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/featur...nd-houston-rockets-scott-skiles-qa/index.html

20. MadMax

I mean...I guess...but I don't want to take the ball out of Harden's hands that much, honestly. It would be a nice luxury to have when he's out.