1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notes from Daryl Morey's Q&A with fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 17, 2011.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Morey has always considered all options. A superstar makes the biggest and fastest impact in terms of getting this team back into the spotlight, but he knows that our market is not appealing for most superstars so trading for one is going to be pretty hard. That leaves trading for a very talented young prospect and then developing him into a star or drafting someone who can be developed into a star.

As far as my thoughts on drafting, it is definitely the easiest route, but it is also a huge gamble and the least dependable route. Tanking is easy to do, but getting the top pick is a gamble (just look at the Nets) and drafting someone WITH that first pick that will turn out to be a franchise player is even harder. For each LBJ, Dream, or Howard that you can draft, you also have probably 10 Kwame Browns.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

VERY informative.

I'm pumped. I can see getting a Nene and a top SF (Iggy / Wallace / Granger), which will put me in hog heaven.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree, but the great part of having a GM and scout team like Morey and Crew's, increases your chances of actually landing the best player with that top pick. Just look at the players they've been targeting to move up and pick or trade for. This would be by FAR the cheapest and most effecient way of finding our superstar.

4. Village Bum

Village Bum Member

That's the kind of package I'm hoping we attain at the deadline.

5. anchel

anchel Member

Kings were fighting for nothing. Indiana, Charlotte, Philly, all of them have playoff goals right now, I see unlikely they trade Granger, Wallace, Iggy right now. Much more unilkely than a trade involving Martin last season. I wish I'm wrong, but I see more likely the trade for a center, or a trade for an interesting young prospect or a potential high draft pick.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for the report, Clutch.

I had a good hunch that the Rockets front office were very high on Kyle Lowry, but I didn't realize they liked him that much.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

There is a huge gap in player evaluation from Morey who says T-Will is a potential All-Star, to RA who won't let him see the floor.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hence my uneducated conclusion that RA will 'retire' at ASG and Turner will run team. There does appear to be a GM - Coach disconnect IMHO.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised, last night during the post game presser he questioned their pride. Questioning someone's pride is a last resort and he looked like he was trying his last resort.

Same time, he just came off saying that he couldn't imagine quitting on the team mid-season like Sloan soooo...

10. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

RA is only interested in playing proven commodities now not unproven players. Evidently T-Will has not shown enough in practice yet to justify any trust. Same with Ish. If they are not going to play them they ought to send them to D league to play.

I think after trade deadline in a few more losses we will start seeing more of them,

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey and Adelman have both said that they will make a decision "after the season." I highly doubt he steps down before the season is over. I believe there are financial implications to stepping down early from Adelman's perspective. Doubt he leaves any money on the table right before retirement. Unless its the Rockets front office's call then yeah it might as well be then or never.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Here's the tip off on AB's future...

1 person likes this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I assume a parting would be (publicly) amicable and that RA would receive his money; perhaps even a consultancy (sic).

I'm just reading body language and public words of last couple of months. I don't believe this is the team RA wants to coach at his age and stage of his career. Doesn't make him a bad guy or a bad coach just not the right guy. Turner appears to be that.

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As always... Thank you Clutch.

I did like the fact that Morey laid out three paths that the team can take at the deadline. I'm hoping he can at least make two of paths realistic during deadline. I do think Morey and RA don't see eye-to-eye though. Unless Morey can hit a homerun by next Thursday, I don't see Rick coming back next season.

I think Scola's days are numbered at the moment. I like Scola very much and he's one of my favorites but I wouldn't mind if we traded him to NJ for Murphy's expiring contract and a draft pick or two. I know one poster mention in another thread about packaging AB and Scola together to land a SF. Either way, I can't wait till Thursday.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Very interesting session.

He seems to be a lot more open at the end-of-the-year season ticket holder's Q&A than this one, but that should make sense with the trade deadline looming.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

very informative actually. i really like our GM!

to me, the fact that we are looking long-term means we are rebuilding. the AB quote that "the league likes him" means he's probably gone. We are def. going after a younger all-star/ potential all-star, or picks. We'll likely need to take on a large contract for 2 yrs if we are going to get the "potetial" all-star we covet. Lee is still not the player Morey hoped he'd be and is available. T-Will likley isn't going anywhere.

#36 Aruba77, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree... If he steps down before the end of the season it will most likely be on the Rockets front office's terms but I could see it being mutual if he was upfront with management that he was done here.

I agree his body language has not been positive this year. He just looks annoyed with the whole team. However he has kind of always had that annoyed disgruntled old man look since he's been in the NBA so who knows.

Im not sure Im sold on Turner as a full time coach, because of the couple games he has filled in, but who knows. If he can fix the defense then Im in.

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Morey is not a worst GM, but he cann't become a great GM

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

well said

1 person likes this.
  20. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

If you think about it, the Rockets just aren't really the type of situation for a veteran coach like Adelman who doesn't need the money, just wants the chance to win a championship. Unless we get a serious squad through trades in the next few months, we're going to have to find a new coach, I'm afraid.