1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Not much to dislike about the Rockets signing Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets move to sign Carmelo Anthony to a one-year, $2.4M deal?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Morey watches Rockets Games, amirite? And CF posts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Right. Virtually no downside. If he pouts and doesn't buy in he gets waived. Simple. There's a possibility it could work out. I can't see him playing that many minutes vs. GSW but I think there's a chance he could get on the floor for stretches here and there, score some buckets, and buy some time. If a Bazemore for Ryno + considerations trade could ever happen I think we'd be in good shape relative to last year.

3. rockets13champs

4. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Guys he is a 10 time all star, 1st ballot hall of famer, scored 17 PPG on a shitty OKC team last year and we get him cheap. Go beat your dog or something. Adding him is a big deal and will be an offensive threat. Luc was garbage after his injury and Ariza was not worth anywhere near 15M. You guys are tripping for reals. He is another mid range threat. Melo and Ennis are >>> than Luc and Ariza every day all day.

5. xaos

xaos Member

Carmelo is my least favorite player in the league and I am excited about adding him on this vet min deal. CP3 is a PG that looks to set up his players. In contrast Westbrook is a player that looks to pass when his scoring possibilities have dwindled down to nothing. That is a huge reason why Carmelo will work here.

mustang98, hakeem94 and kevcai like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent take, Clutch! I'm excited about getting the guy, not least considering what it costs the Rockets. I really like the end: " ...there’s very little to dislike here as the Rockets make yet another move that has become the trademark of the Daryl Morey era — low risk, potentially high reward. Yes, Anthony was largely blamed for the Thunder’s woes last year as the “Russ has no help” media tour continued, but don’t be terribly surprised a few months into the season if the Rockets find a way to make Melo work and they’re talking again about how many weapons Houston has."

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I wonder how much interest he had from other teams? For vet min, I'm guessing plenty? Maybe he had better offers, but wanted to come to Houston?

D-rock likes this.
  8. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

That showed how he really wants to win championship. He believe in Rockets. I am excited for him to come to Houston.

He will be an impact player for us for sure.

BoneYardDog and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Classic

Classic Member

Welp folks, here's one of your 'no's from the poll:rolleyes:

This is a great signing, chief

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Thank you @Clutch for another excellent take on the Rockets! At the vet minimum, Melo (hopefully Olympic Hoodi-Melo) is a steal!

Go Rockets!!!

hakeem94 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ennis and Melo have been solid additions to the team this offseason. We are incredibly lucky to have both on minimum deals.

I still have concerns about our defense, but it sure is nice to have a weapon in the front court to take pressure off of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd scoring options, all of whom are in our backcourt.

don grahamleone, D-rock and rkh-dog like this.
  12. H-Town Rockets Guy

Low Risk signing. Since Melo chose to come to the Rockets, he will make every effort to make this work in my opinion. Also he probably wants to prove people wrong about him. CP3 and Harden are much better and willing passers than Westbrook for sure. He will definitely help our team

13. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Bluelight Special Melo is best Melo. Great deal. Yuge!

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I almost want to vote no, so those guys don't feel so alone in their wrong choice.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I like it well enough because:

1) Paul and Harden like the signing and Paul and Melo are long-time friends, so they should all be committed to try hard to make it work-- harder than OKC did.

2) The signing is minimum $, so the team didn't even burn the MLE slot.

Might not work out, but the risk seems small. I guess the big risk is Melo + D'Antoni really get into it and blow up team chemistry... but hopefully CP and Harden will keep this from happening.

Deuce, D-rock and macan like this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

This feels like a thread that will get bumped in about six months. For one reason or another.

17. macan

macan Member

melo for a vet min. that's a low risk high reward kinda deal.
    would be crazy to say no to that.

D-rock likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Proven Winners Cp3 and harden pass the ball for team success and wins

Proven Stat padder/trip dub chaser Wb passes the ball for his 10 assists per game

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am very confident that Melo will play better defense than Harden, Anderson and maybe even CP3.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Outplay The Contract potential is strong.

13/10 roster move