1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] No hesitation: In one play, Troy Daniels answers the call and Jeremy Lin finds redempti

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2014.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Well, FWIW, Van Gundy called that drive to the hoop a 'heads up play.' I guess he's one of those guys who just started watching basketball...:rolleyes:

....or maybe heads up means stupid now? Back in the day, heads up was good....

2. conquistador#11

personally, i'm more conservative. I always want foster running the ball to run down the clock with a lead. But I also remember a lot of crazies who wanted to pass the ball with a lead and little time to prove a point of 'cut throat'. ha, texans with a lead, feels like so long ago.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love Clutchfans because of articles like tjis.

Bravo!

DD

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Nice write up clutch. I think both plays you wrote about (missed layup and final play) are indicative of who jeremy is. A homerun hitter always looking for the extra points. I dont think its in his natural dna to play conservative. you always want to shorten the game when you have a lead, so that layup try just was a bad decision all around. The final play, i think he coulda had a pretty good shot with the lob to howard, but instead went for the home run 3pter. Now i think it was the right move because im positive howard woulda gotten totally submarined and might have missed the dunk. Howard on the ft line is worse than an open 3 imo.

Daniels really surprised me. The way he just shot that without a blink, almost was cassell like in his first year. Im not going to give him the game ending shot (that should always goto harden), but that was really impressive

5. strifed169

strifed169 Member

Why the hell wouldn't you give any Rocket player the GW shot other than Harden? jesus you stans are something else

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Meanwhile, Jeremy's actual coach is signaling him to slow it down.

[​IMG]

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Very good article Clutch

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

So? He's also not looking up the court and seeing there's a wide-open layup like Lin is.

I also don't see how a picture of Kevin Mchale with his palms turned down automatically renders Jeff Van Gundy's opinion worthless.

9. conquistador#11

wow so not even lin listens to our coach. it's one thing when coach calls for ball movement and the ball gets sticky due to hairy sticky hands, and quite another when coach signals to slow it down. You have to be obedient and follow command. Weird that nobody does that on this team with the exception garcia.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

About says it all right there.

I look forward to you calling McHale "inept" again :)

11. VeloCity

VeloCity Member

I don't think Lin's decision to go for the layup was 100% without merit. But a player's #1 job is to execute the coach's order. McHale clearly wanted to slow it down. JVG's opinion is not worthless - but to Lin it should be at that moment. Do what your coach says.
    I don't think Lin even saw McHale though....

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lin has very poor court situational awareness.

DD

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

Did Mchale ever comment about the play? Curious to hear his take on it. I'd think that there are situations where the players are given carte blanche when they see an opening like that where the defense is caught sleeping, but maybe not.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Im confused. Did not my post say that the shot should always goto harden??

15. Clarinetmonster

You know very well that if we lose the next 2, everyone will be back to calling him inept and figuring out who to replace him with.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Troy Daniels should have been in the rotation long ago.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

You could just remove "court situational" from the sentence and it would still be true.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Well said, coach. Popovich would be playing this guy at least 15+ minutes a game. He could be our Danny Green if McHale wanted it but no, he doesn't have a clue as usual. Pathetic that now people are giving McHale props for just now deciding to play him.

19. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

All these micro-analyses are just silly...

20. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Kevin McHale is not an authority on basketball strategy. This is the same man who has been keeping Daniels out of the rotation, didn't make any adjustments for Games 1 and 2, and whose only answer he had for getting tactically dominated by the Blazers was "we gotta play harder." In addition, McHale is not on the court, so he can't see what Lin sees and can't know what the best choice at that moment is. I, for one, think Lin made the right decision to go for the dagger and the momentum, but just had horrible execution; however, he, like you said, redeemed himself later.