1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans.net] Grizzlies want(ed) Scola for Miller

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooner423, May 19, 2008.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Clutch. This is very interesting. I think I would be tempted to do a deal like that. I've always felt that the Grizz would want either Landry or Scola in a deal for Miller. As much as I like Scola, I'm not sure he's an ideal fit next to Yao. I would prefer a more athletic defender/rebounder. Oh, and I didn't see this posted on the forums yet, so I hope its cool putting this on here.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1467/grizzlies_wanted_scola_for_miller/

Grizzlies want(ed) Scola for Miller

By Clutch
    Copyright 2008 ClutchFans.net

If you've been watching the NBA playoffs, you probably can't help but feel the Memphis Grizzlies deserve some type of award for the mind-boggling trade that handed Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.
    The one-sided swap significantly changed the Western Conference landscape and exposed Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley as a penny-pincher looking to dump salary.

So it was only natural to assume that Grizzlies forward Mike Miller, who makes over $9 million in each of the next two seasons, would be next. Throw in a few expiring contracts with a dash of draft picks or younger players and voila! -- you have a recipe for a deal.

Not exactly, says one source. Memphis brass is feeling the criticism from the Gasol trade fallout and is responding by placing a very high asking price on Miller.

How high?

According to the source, the Grizzlies were asking for a package deal from Houston that included Luis Scola and it's believed that their asking price hasn't changed.

That certainly puts into perspective some comments made by Rockets general manager Daryl Morey back at the trading deadline about a Houston pursuit of Memphis' Miller and Sacramento's Ron Artest.

"They were asking for more than a bag of beans," said Morey back in late February. "They were highly motivated to get what they wanted and we did look at them but it didn't make sense for us. Obviously their price was too high because no one paid it."

The 6-foot-8 Miller can play minutes at both the two and three and averaged over 16 points and nearly 7 boards this season, hitting over 50% from the floor and 43.2% from downtown. After watching the impact that the addition of Kyle Korver had on the Utah Jazz, you could see how the addition of a top notch shooter like Miller would be a big Rocket boost.

However, unless that asking price changes, it's not a good bet.

2. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

If that remains the case, Mike Miller won't be a Rocket any time soon.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No surprise there. I remember hearing that Grizzlies management was smarting from all the heat they were getting around the league after handing Gasol to the Fakers.

On the specific matter of the Grizz wanting Scola in a Miller deal, the Rockets should tell them to kiss off. I want Miller on our team, but not at the expense of any of our power forwards.

I figure if they really wanna dump Miller, they'll do it by the trade deadline. It's obvious their plans revolve around Rudy Gay and whoever they draft, so the Rockets just need to be patient and keep offering those expiring contracts(and a pick or two).

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No way I'd make the deal. I wouldn't give up Scola for any wing player no matter how talented. Whether or not he is a perfect fit is irrelevant in my mind; we finally have a power forward that is not a joke when opposing the rest of the league. No, Scola isn't an all-star and he doesn't compare favorably to the Boozers or the Duncans, etc., BUT, he is a competent starter.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm not a huge Miller fan because there are much better options out there but i would have done the deal if you could be assured that Yao would be healthy. I think that we looked pretty good up front before Yao went down and we could absorb the loss of Scola by playing Landry alot more and Hayes some more.

...but you can't assume Yao will be healthy. So, we need Scola.

6. carayip

carayip Member

Give them a re-signed Landry, then we have a deal!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Griz get Rose then Conley et al come into play.
    If Griz get Beasley then Scola goes out of play.
    If Griz get neither is there a Grizz - Rox Miller/Scola framework which makes sense for both teams?

8. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Plan B, cause Mike Miller ain't happening if that is the case.

9. LFE171

LFE171 Member

psh...miller is great but scola was the key to us getting so damn far in the end of the season (really since january when he got his first start)

if its miller for scola, then i say we just move on. he's really our x-factor cause he brings it everynight, competes and (god forbid anything bad happen here) always healthy.

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

It is nice to know HOU is at least looking at high caliber players.

11. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

..... I just can't help thinking how ironic it is that we are trying to get Mike Miller after we traded them their best player. :(

I know, I know, dead horse, stick etc. but that trade still disappoints me to this day.

Very true. I hope the organization can actually get someone though. I am hopeful.

#11 JusBleezy, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. whatever happens, you know they are trying to add real talent.

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

note to self:

change bookmark from the forum to the front page.

anyhow, thx for the info and... heck no. glad morey declined.

14. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Scola > the junk Memphis for for Gasol.

Shove it Memphis.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

agreed

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. People who think Scola is expendable need to take a look at the Rockets' record after he became a starter. Was he the only reason the team went on a tear after January? No, but he was one of the primary reasons(along with Rafer playing out of his mind and Landry emerging off the bench).

And since we know we can win with him and Landry playing heavy minutes at the 4 and 5, that enables us to rest Yao during the regular season.

17. yobod

yobod Member

So basically, they hand Gasol over to the Lakers (Jerry West's former team.....coincidence? yeah, and I'm the Pope...) for a bag of stale doritos, and because of THAT, they are now asking an exorbitant price for Miller? Talk about a garbage team with garbage management. Fair business practices be damned, apparently.

18. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Trading Miller for Scola solves a problem and creates another and also not worth 6 mill in additional salary.

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

With that improbable Memphis asking price for Miller and Artest staying put in Sactown, I wonder what's Morey next move would be..hope he goes aggressive starting draft day..

20. kwng

kwng Member

Geez .. I guessed we were too late. They have become smarter after bungling
    the Gasol trade and now they asked to much. Mike is good but not for Scola or Landry after what are willing to do for giving away Gasol.