1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey Q&A: Expect Asik to remain a Rocket for duration of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

If He Joined Because If Yao ThaT Still Makes Him A Fan Much Longer Than Many Others On Thus Board.

Swyping From Phone, This The Capitalization..

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

These statements are not aimed at other GMs. GMs have already spoken directly with Morey about what they're willing to do and what Morey is willing to do, and they've talked to each other about Morey too. They already have a better idea of what Morey can and would do with Asik than anything Morey would say in an interview.

These statements are not aimed at Asik. Morey's already been talking with his agent about his attempt to get a trade and where to go from here. This agent has likely also already talked to other agents and GMs about the prospects of a trade. He knows more than Morey would say in an interview.

These statements are meant for the general public, to set expectations with a fanbase who are still expecting Asik to get traded for LMA at the deadline or, at the worst, the offseason. He doesn't want a bunch of pissed-off fans complaining on online forums about how dumb he is for not trading Asik. So, he sets the expectation now to say 'there's no market for him because of his contract so get used to the idea of him sticking around.' Maybe something develops earlier than that, but it's far from inevitable so fans shouldn't be counting on it. That's it. Managing expectations with the customers.

3. makio9

makio9 Member

A very interesting no comment on the Rondo trade. If it was untrue that would be shot down and said something along the lines of who comes up with these things. Unbelievable.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey gets asked about trades all the time, and gives the exact same response. He's essentially playing poker every time he speaks, tweets, or something is written with quotes from him.

He WANTS other GM's to think to call him first when they need to move a player. He WANTS them to think that Morey is willing to play ball if they want to make a trade.

Also he cannot comment about another teams player because its called tampering and he will get fined. Lastly Rondo is still a very young all-star player. Even if Ainge is looking to tank that doesn't mean he doesn't still want Rondo to be a part of their teams future. Isn't the whole purpose of tanking to get a young all-star caliber player anyways???... I don't see why people are so convinced that Rondo is even available to begin with.

5. King Drew

King Drew Member

;) Don't give up hope. Thanksgiving will soon be over in the city of Houston

6. pst257

pst257 Contributing Member

we'll be alright. I have a gut filling that we'll end up with Rondo

#126 pst257, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're the dude whose dad knows Berman or some such thing, right?

Damn you!

and

God bless you!

at the same time.

Just need some resolution on all this, you know? But trade deadline is still more than three weeks away.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Morey has been fined before, now he makes no comment when it comes to possible trades.

I am doubtful of Rondo coming to the Rockets. For one, Morey will not over pay and the Celtics are not going to give up Rondo for less than they want... so I don't think it is a good match.... as far as on the court, it isn't a good match either as Rondo is a poor shooter from the perimeter and a poor free throw shooter which is a real issue on the Rockets.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You bring up good points.

Still, Morey has to weigh what Rondo can bring to the team. If Rondo rounds more into pre-ACL-tear form, his perimeter defense combined with having a player who can get the ball to Dwight Howard could tip the scales in favor of acquiring him.

It might be a "roll the dice, see what happens" situation. Harden and Rondo might not co-exist well.

I just don't think the team can win without a real point guard.

Lowry'd be a better "get", but he might give McHale a heart attack.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

DM has my full confidence, but I will be very disappointed if this bizarre Asik situation lingers beyond the trade deadline without a move.

Bottom line: our bench is weak and Asik's roster spot (and cap space he ties up) needs either replaced or justified. Justified, of course, meaning this mysterious injury of his "heals" and he gets out there and plays.

The only unacceptable outcome is the status quo.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Shameless plug alert, but I did a podcast today largely discussing this piece.

http://tinyurl.com/lxxpytx

Nothing big, but basically explaining my view that it's not posturing from Daryl. Combination of managing expectations, as JuanValdez said, and somewhat of an attempt to keep Asik's name out of trade rumors whenever he makes his return (this week?). Not that it made a huge difference, but Omer's numbers were proportionally lower on a per-minute basis during the limited "trade window" period in which he played. So my thought is that the Rockets would be much better off if Omer is at peace with his role. Not sure how realistic that is, but worth a try.

13. neostars

neostars Member

FFS if he expect to remain a rocket.
    Make him play. Jesus

14. theangrycanary

Dear Lord...

If Asik really has some horrendous non-healing injury, then that is terrible! Now not only do we have his giant contract, but no production at all.

And if he isn't injured then why isn't he playing by now? He absolutely has to play to get traded.

This is getting pretty nuts.

Plus... what happened to Greg Smith? I thought he had a mildly sprained knee and now he's been out half the season?

What on Earth is going on?

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

16. jdm485

jdm485 Member

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Omer is not and will not be at peace with his role on the team. That is the bitter truth.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Chad Ford's Q & A said that Bosh is the most likely of the big 3 to leave the Heat this summer. Maybe Morey wants to keep Asik and Lin until then for sign and trade bait.

19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Like i have said before, Love is the ultimate prize here. We will wait until its clear that he isnt coming to Houston. If that plan falls thru, then we will go on to plan B,C,Etc.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm quite sure Morey has always not said anything about other teams' players. He got fined due to tweeting about Howard AFTER Howard told the world that he'd sign here.

When GMs want to make certain things known, they leak them to the press and it becomes, "sources say, Rockets may be interested in Celtics guard Rajon Rondo"