1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey Q&A: Expect Asik to remain a Rocket for duration of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

^^^^ to Piggy off my post, it's no reason to keep Lin on that contract of he's starting or mchale is not going to use him as a real 6th man. Neither are happening here

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Morey believes his worst moves as a GM were drafting Royce White and surrendering a first-round draft pick in the Terrence Williams trade.

I really like Morey as GM but his worst moves in recent years are:
    1) let Dragic go for Lin
    2) the Gasol Trade
    3) not making a S&T with the jazz for Millsap

(good news for Morey: nobody will cotinue crying for the Battier-gay trade)

Off course he makes a lot of good trade and he brought DH and Harden, he is for sure a Top 5 GM in the league

3. New

Asik's knee has gone through serious surgery before. I do not know why people hate him so much just by assuming he is faking is injury. It seems like no one believes integrity here.

4. NotChandlerParsons

When did he have knee surgery?

5. New

He did not let Dragic go for Lin. He let most of the rockets go for a trade for a star. It did not happen then he went out to get Lin.

6. NotChandlerParsons

Ah I found it, he had some sort of unspecified ligament surgery the season before he joined the Bulls.

7. New

He tore his ACL in 2008.

8. New

Lin is a goner unless we have a different coach and style or he dramatically change his defensive game to become the needed star... Lin is not there yet and is unlikely to be there in time.

9. New

I am not really surprised to hear that Asik is out due to injury. I was actually very surprise that he managed to play all the game last year with major minutes with a repaired ACL...

That injury is always going to come back and eat you. Recent example is Rose. For the same reason, I hope DM do not go and get Rondo. It is extremely bad for a PG whose moves put a great stress around the knee....

10. Play07

Play07 Member

So would you have done this ?

Can't wait to see what happens with asik. If nothing happens then the bass + lee + 1st round pick looks like a move money should've took.

I know I know lee contract was until 2016 but we saw how easy Danny got rid if him without even giving up a pick. He would've been solid here so I have no reason to believe morey wouldn't have been able to get a team to take him after next year especially if with a 2015 or 2015 pick from the celtics

bass & lee have been playing solid. bass jumper is legit and he's a guy with playoff experience especially on defense. A solid big with a midrange jumper is something we are missing here. Lee is the perfect 6th man 3 & d guy that could play the 1-3.

we could've resigned camby or signed Bynum to back up Howard.

then with the "NY 1st round pick we have" if we wanted to move Lin it would've been easier to find a taker for him with that pick, perhaps that could've got you a solid back up center if you didn't want camby or Bynum. Or whatever other position needed an upgrade. Packaging Lin + pick + dmo could've got something even better. It's no reason of keeping Lin on that contract if he's not going to start or be used as a REAL 6th man.

Feb 20th is right around the corner so we will see which formula was better.

11. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I dont remember any star he was close to get that offseason.
    and anyway he could have sign a star and keeping Dragic (and Dragic is now a star)

12. New

Seriously, we should trade Mchale for JVG.;)

But you are right about the players...

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Well you obviously don't want to look desperate if you're trying to offload a guy.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

From what Morey said, you can bet that the next thing happens will be a trade of Asik or DMo or both.

The Battier thing is interesting. I thought Battier said that he didn't want to be involved in basketball when he was done.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

Haha yeah that would have been cool, but depending on what we get for asik I think he should've took Danny's offer it was a pretty solid trade. We would've upgraded our team and still had 2 picks to spare to play with at deadline.

16. New

I somehow thought you were talking about Lowry... We made an effort to get DH that offseason although he is not close to get that.

BTW: Dragic asked for a lot during that offseason and it simply did not match Morey's expectation of him. Morey did not think of Dragic as a star-level player.

Dragic himself was lucky to leave the Rockets. He is now playing SG and putting up monster numbers... And in Mchale's team, no one in the backcourt put up monster numbers except Harden. We certainly would not pay 7.5 M for a back-up SG... It is the same reason that we need to trade Lin... It is also the same reason Bev is now taking part of the role of initiating the offense when Harden is resting.

It takes a better coaching team to make a system work for an elite SG... What the Laker's coaching team had done was phenomenal...

17. New

There are other things that we do not know... I guess...

18. treeman

treeman Member

Correction: we need omer asik to actually play if we want to contend for a championship.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Asik should've been traded this past offseason. This excuse Morey shouldn't make a bad trade is useless. Keeping Asik this long was a mistake. Also stupid, making stupid demands for Asik like two 1st round picks to teams before even having a offer on the table. Morey has done good getting Howard & Harden, but this whole Asik situation could possibly set this team back. Asik requested a trade, he needs to be traded by the deadline

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You will be paying 15million dollars next year for a backup C who may play 15 lackadaisical minutes. Sometimes you just got bite the bullet and get something.