1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Francis-to-Rockets a "longshot" ([Fox] Rox have shot at Francis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 17, 2007.

1. JD317²

JD317² Member

yep.
    and u know how the glove was always fighting with Dwayne Wade and they still win their fluke championship in 06 and start hugging up on each other when they win.. lol

I wouldn't mind to see Steve Francis go at it with T-mac or something and have us win a championship this year.
    ;)

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He wants more money and a chance for a ring.

X out the Clippers on both of those options. Championship is not likely in his lifetime and the Clips owner is one of the cheapest in the business.

Rockets - possible ring, but little chance for money with TMac and Yao on the payroll. If we gave him anything more than LLE, we wouldn't have money left to get Hayes or Landry which leaves us with Scola and Reed at the PF spot (I see Butler as a backup C). Also a log jam in the back court leaves him to wonder about his role.

Mavs - possible ring, but I can't see too much money in the future there either. Cuban is willing to spend though so I think they are ahead of the Rockets in that regard. Also, roster spots at that position seem to be taken.

Heat - I doubt they are close to a ring, but I wouldn't have picked them a couple of years ago either - though now they are older which isn't a good thing. But with the roster, I think Steve will choose the Heat and hope that the money will follow. After all, he has to feed himself and that $30 mill won't last forever.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just imagine if we sign Francis to a 1yr deal. He plays exceptionally well alongside a rejuvenated Bonzi Wells. The Rockets make some noise, WCF? NBA Finals? Something exciting. Then...

Wells and Francis are offered big contracts next year. The Rockets simply can't match due to the cap rules. Both players leave.

Rockets are left with a thinned out roster.

4. JD317²

JD317² Member

Heat was a major fluke.
    they aren't winning more than 46 games next season.
    Bet on that.

Clippers aren't going anywhere.

Steve isn't going to get along with anyone in Dallas and he'd be a traitor.... and obviously he isn't going to get any playing time with Jason Terry, Stackhouse, and Devin Harris on that roster.

If he signs with Dallas
    im calling 8 ppg and 12 mpg for Steve
    LMAO

If he doesn't choose Houston.
    he's plain stupid.

5. JD317²

JD317² Member

Ok so we have a fluke championship year like Miami..
    so at least i have bragging rights.. haha
    it'll work out anyway...
    Morey has his ways

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

8 points in 12 minutes is a bit generous.

7. poorgeorgechina

Man, dont forget he has HUGE possibility of getting a contract from Chinese shoe manufactures if he becomes a Rocket again, and that'll count for a considerable income for him, am i right?

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Money is not an issue period...

First, most teams can't offer anything. The Clips are the only team that can give him money. Maybe Dallas but Cuban has been trying to cut down on salary lately.

Second, Portland slipped a clause into his buyout which gives basically docks 50% of his new contract from the buyout. So any contract Steve signs is really only half of that value. A potential 5 million dollar contract from LA is really only 2.5 million. He can't make any real money because of that clause and hence it'll come down to the situation each team presents.

9. JD317²

JD317² Member

Shoes in Houston
    Chance to win big
    Fan base
    HIS HOUSE IS here

we're favored to get him..

unless of course Cuttino sent a very sweet text message that he will wake up 2.

lol

10. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/173672.html

MAVERICKS NOTES
    Francis is available, but unlikely for Mavs
    By JEFF CAPLAN
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Within 48 hours, and possibly sooner, Steve Francis will sign with his next team. Odds that it's the Mavericks are low.

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, on Wednesday said the veteran point guard is still considering the Mavs, Houston, Miami and Los Angeles Clippers. Of those four teams, the Heat and Clippers need the most help at that position.

As far as the Mavs taking on the former All-Star who played his first five seasons in Houston, one NBA source said that Francis would likely sign elsewhere.

Francis cleared waivers Wednesday and can officially sign a new deal. Portland bought out the remaining two years of his contract for $30 million last week, so Francis is shopping for the best fit as opposed to the best financial deal.

"The best fit for team success," Fried said. "And where Steve can be a meaningful player."

Mavs coach Avery Johnson has said he plans to give Devin Harris greater responsibility at point guard, and Jason Terry also plays the position. Also, J.J. Barea, who has played well for the Mavs' summer league team, could have his contract extended for next season.

11. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Stevie back. *sniffles* Come in from the bench to provide some energy and scoring punch.

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Posted this in the other thread:

Interesting quote from Feigen's blog:

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/175174.html
    Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, said Wednesday night that his client has narrowed his list of suitors to two, one of which is the Heat.

So which team is still in the race with the Heat?

(He told me four teams, including the Rockets. I would think the Rockets can be no worse than second. -- Jonathan)

13. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

My prediction is: Steve Francis will go to a state where he doesn't have to pay state income taxes on his mountain of money. That leaves out California. It's down to Texas and Florida. Miami nightlife is on par with NYC and LA. He's going to Miami.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Yao is reaching out to his boy?

Come on Yao, call Steve we want him back. Like someone in this thread said earlier, although Steve makes some boneheaded mistakes, you can never question his tenacity and heart. We need someone with balls in this team, with Mike James, Bonzi and Steve in the same, there is no way anyone is going to try to punk Yao ever again.

Come on Steve come home.

I HEART Steve Francis.

15. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i really doubt francis will have a fun time with pat riley. the heat basically play the same offense as the van gundy rockets. he should go to the clippers if he wants to have some freedom.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

''It's important to Steve that he finds the right fit,'' Fried said. ``Salary considerations down the line are also important, but he wants to go somewhere where he can help a team compete for a championship.''

17. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The problem there is that maybe he is tired of losing and wants to play for a winning team. The clippers were good 2 years ago but last year the tougher western conference didn't leave a lot of room for them. I'm sure that is the only reason he hasn't already signed with them right now.

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Francis cant go anywhere and help contend for a championship. Dallas is too stacked, Francis would butt heads with Riley, and the Clippers are bad. The only way Francis could help is by sitting his butt on the Dallas bench.

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Ive been against bringing him back, but Ive jumped on the "You cant turn down that much talent for that much of a bargain" bandwagon. Im betting on Miami. Remember when he was saying he wouldnt go to Orlando when we were trying to get Tracy? I remember a quote of his saying "Orlando? Only if Shaq comes too." Of course, that was almost four years ago. Shaq isnt the player he was and Id like to believe SF3 has matured a little. I think he will go to Miami though. But Im hoping for a homecoming. I still got my "Franchise" poster in my garage, lol. :D

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I don't know why everyone's saying Francis has matured, when his playing clearly hasn't. I remembered when he was benched for Mardy Collins and he wondered why. Hmm maybe it's cuz you dribble the ball till its out of air stevie!!