1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Francis-to-Rockets a "longshot" ([Fox] Rox have shot at Francis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 17, 2007.

1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

EXACTLY. Especially the part about him doing a lot of dumb stuff but still being a fan. He kills you sometimes, but when he comes through, it's BIG. I love Stevie Franchise! C'mon, Steve, come home.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I still believe a combination of Mike James and Steve with Brooks in the wing is better than Rafer, Head, James, and Brooks. For the last time, Head cannot play the 2 in the league. As soon as he checks in, Teams starting posting him up like a stamp.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/175174.html

So apparently the Heat are officially one of the finalists. That leaves us, the Mavs and Clippers up in the air.

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

LOL ohhh the suspense...Why would he tell us one of the finalists and not the other? In my mind its either the clippers or the rockets as the other one. And based on this quote it seems like we wouldn't be the other:

''It's important to Steve that he finds the right fit,'' Fried said. ``Salary considerations down the line are also important, but he wants to go somewhere where he can help a team compete for a championship.''

We just have too many people at that position and we're offering the least amount of money. If we did somehow get him I think Head would have to be expendable...

5. alexcapone

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4980460.html

Francis close to decision
    Rockets among final four teams; choice could come as early as tonight

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    July 19, 2007, 12:01AM

Steve Francis ended Wednesday ready to sleep on his choice among four teams, including the Rockets. By tonight, his agent said, Francis could be ready to announce a decision.

Jeff Fried said Francis had not reached any decision, able only to narrow his choice to the Rockets, Heat, Mavericks and Clippers. Fried said he would not be able to list them in an order of preference.

Though the Rockets are limited to giving Francis $2.3 million for the first season — the money left on their mid-level exception after the signing of forward Luis Scola — Fried said the relatively small offer would not limit the team's chances with the 30-year-old guard.

"Because of the (buyout) agreement with the Trail Blazers, financial considerations really are secondary," Fried said. "He's looking for a fit.

"It really is different from the usual situation. If it was about one team offering 'X' million, another team offering 'Y' million and another team offering 'Z' million, that is a fairly absolute and quantitative way to make a decision. That's not the case here."

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey would not comment on the team's talks with Francis and Fried.

Francis became a free agent thanks to a $30 million buyout agreement with the Trail Blazers after he was traded by the Knicks to Portland. He likely is seeking a contract with an opportunity to opt out within a season or two, further making his decision less about the contract than the situation.

Francis, a three-time All Star with the Rockets from 1999-2004, has maintained a home and ties to Houston since he was traded by the Rockets to the Orlando Magic in the June 29, 2004, deal to acquire Tracy McGrady.

"Financial considerations are not the primary focus," Fried said. "Fit is the most important criteria. He has a family now and is considering what is best for them.

"He's going to sleep on it."

I can't really get a feel for which way he's leaning...the articles are kind of confusing because in the chron article he kind of talks about fitting in with the city because of family considerations and the herald article talks about fitting in with a contending team. He's sort of contradictory on his financial considerations too...:confused:

#385 alexcapone, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I bet it's not the Mavs. I say Rockets or Heat at this point. I hope he will choose us.

7. alexcapone

You're right about not going to the Mavs:

Francis is available, but unlikely for Mavs

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/173672.html

By JEFF CAPLAN
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Within 48 hours, and possibly sooner, Steve Francis will sign with his next team. Odds that it's the Mavericks are low.

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, on Wednesday said the veteran point guard is still considering the Mavs, Houston, Miami and Los Angeles Clippers. Of those four teams, the Heat and Clippers need the most help at that position.

As far as the Mavs taking on the former All-Star who played his first five seasons in Houston, one NBA source said that Francis would likely sign elsewhere.

Francis cleared waivers Wednesday and can officially sign a new deal. Portland bought out the remaining two years of his contract for $30 million last week, so Francis is shopping for the best fit as opposed to the best financial deal.

"The best fit for team success," Fried said. "And where Steve can be a meaningful player."

Mavs coach Avery Johnson has said he plans to give Devin Harris greater responsibility at point guard, and Jason Terry also plays the position. Also, J.J. Barea, who has played well for the Mavs' summer league team, could have his contract extended for next season.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would be shocked if it is not either the Rockets or Clippers.

He is good friends with Cat so LA is a possibility and he lives in Houston is friends with Yao and Houston is a contender.

I think he will choose Houston.....but if he wants to be more of a star it will be the Clippers......

Just my guess ...

DD

9. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

Francis close to decision
    Rockets among final four teams; choice could come as early as tonight

opps already posted. :rolleyes:

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm not so sure.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1428/rockets_complete_steal_of_scola/
    http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/173978.html
    He's almost certainly guaranteed to either start or 25-30 minutes/game with the Clips or Heat.

11. rocketsmetalspd

So, later on today we will all know where SF3 decides to play. I for one am hoping he comes back home to H-Town.

12. JD317²

JD317² Member

Miami's championship was a fluke.
    If Steve goes there i swear he'll never get far.
    They had the same team back for the playoffs and they couldn't even beat the baby bulls.

If he's worried about minutes you can rule out Miami(jason williams, gary payton) and Dallas.(jet, stackhouse, harris)
    I say its L.A and Houston

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Ya we got a lot of guards but by NBA standards they are very average.

14. JD317²

JD317² Member

yeah exactly, i think steve knows he's better than Rafer and Mike.. lol
    i think the clippers might end up getting him though
    they have no one
    and they have cuttino ;)

15. JD317²

JD317² Member

no point guards is wat i meant.. lol

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

we also got rafer/james/brooks/lucas and at sg we got tmac/bonzi/head/snyder.

ifi hes looking for championship hes goes to us and not miami or dallas, because houston is his offseason home, and we got yao. if he looks for playingtime he goes to clippers. don't know why he would go to miami, cause dwane wade is another combo guard just like him. clippers will never go far, maybe not make the playoffs. dallas, well, i just don't see if francis didnt' like jvg, how hes going to like avery screaming at him all the time, even if they know each other and are friends.

17. JD317²

JD317² Member

word.
    tonite we'll find out if steve will EVER do anything big with his career

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I'd say it was a safe bet to kick the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mav's off our prospective lists.

19. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

and yeah, it would be exactly like the "Glove" taking a paycut to play with Shaq.

20. JD317²

JD317² Member

if he chooses Dallas can someone start the OFFICIAL Steve Francis is a traitor thread..
    I would if I could..
    too bad I'm a "rookie"