1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Mock Draft - Texans 1st Round v 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 15, 2016.

?

Who do the Texans pick in the 1st round?

1. Carson Wentz QB, North Dakota State

34.9%
  2. Christian Hackenberg QB, Penn State

14.5%
  3. Paxton Lynch QB, Memphis

7.2%
  4. Connor Cook QB, Michigan State

4.8%
  5. Ezekiel Elliott RB, Ohio State

28.9%
  6. Hunter Henry TE, Arkansas

4.8%
  7. Jaylon Smith ILB, Notre Dame

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Trade down

4.8%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who do you think the Texans will pick? I didn't include trade down scenarios because too hard to predict what teams would like to trade down and what they would be asking.

I'll create another one for the 2nd round later.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'll take Wentz because that's who I'm hoping we get, but I could easily see him going to the Rams or even the Browns.

3. conquistador#11

No defensive ends to pick from. I disappoint. =)

I want both Ezekiel and Hackenbrian. I'm guessing Christian won't fall to the second round anymore?

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think Goff and Lynch go before our pick. Wentz is still there so we take him. If he's gone then I think we take Elliott and look for Cook/Hack in the second round.

5. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

Derrick Henry if he falls to us ( Seeing as we cut Foster)

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing that worries me is that the Texans so obviously need a QB, that if there is any value at the position as the pick approaches, teams will be calling the Jets and Washington to move up - nobody is going to gamble on the Texans passing on a QB.

It happened last year (thank God) with Melvin Gordon, where the Chargers jumped in front of the Texans to snap Gordon up after the Texans telegraphed their interest. If they can't move way up to get a top guy and someone is on their board after, say, 17 they maybe should look to trade up 3 or 4 spots.

BTW, looked at the traditional trade "points" chart.

From their 22nd overall pick:

Texans trading their 1st (#22), 2nd (#52) and 3rd (#85) round picks gives them exactly the points on the chart to move up to pick 10.

Texans trading their 1st & 2nd rounder puts them a couple of points over the cost for pick 13 on the chart

and trading 1st & 3rd rounder puts them a couple of points short of 17th overall.

Obviously, the chart is no more than a starting point for discussion, but maybe that gives a reference point for thinking about what they might be able to do.

BTW, I went with Cook, not because I want him, but I think they are going to get stuck with him when its time to pick. I really hope I'm wrong.

7. Two Sandwiches

Going by points value, I'd try and move the 1st and 3rd to get to 17 or 18 of Wentz is still available.

8. ABforPresident

Do you honestly think Wentz and Hack are better than Goff or Lynch? (Looking at sig)... I think Goff is the clear cut best prospect.

9. Chamillionaire

There's only 2 QBs that really has a chance to be starting material in the next 2 years... Goff and Wentz. Watching Cook against Alabama... meh. Wish we would have drafted Bridgewater.

10. Two Sandwiches

I think Lynch is out of the question for us either way. Although I think he's a big question mark that we should steer clear of.

I think Goff is a decent prospect who will probably be an average NFL starter. His interceptions in the Utah game worry me a lot, though. I mean, from memory, three of them were really bad. He's going to face good defenses all the time in the NFL. That Utah defense was probably the best he faced and he totally folded(call it Hoyer shell-shock). It just worries me. That's the main reason I dropped him lower. I see him as a Teddy Bridgewater, with a better deep ball, but who will throw more picks. The gimmick offense is a concern, too.

Wentz has all the tools. Great arm. Great mentally. He's a gamer, a winner. Watch his comeback vs. Northern Iowa this year. He faced lesser competition, but he tore it up against Iowa State in his first career start, so I'm not as concerned. He played in a pro style system on a very well coached team. Five championships in a row. 'Nuff said about that team. Wentz may have a slight learning curve though. I can see him being something like a Blake Bottles, or an early career Roethlisberger.

Hackenberg, to me, is the biggest wildcard. He was great under O'Brien in that pro-style offense. He could step right in, possibly. He's got the tools, mentally and physically. I think he's more accurate that others here. He's a gamer. He's supposedly good friends with BOB. He basically became the mascot of the Penn State football revival, which says all that needs to be said about his character. The big question is how much did James Franklin and the lack of scholarships (which led to no talent around him) ruin him? He had a terrible offensive line which led to him being under duress quite a bit. This led to a regression in his footwork. He tends to hold onto the ball a bit too long, which could be due to many things. I think O'Brien can fix that. He'd make a great throw, and then two that would leave you scratching your head. Trent Dilfer, another friend of his, says he's the next Troy Aikman. I see some Jay Cutler in him.

It's not necessarily that I think they're better than Goff. I'm not sure if they are. I think they have far more potential than him, though. I also think that its going to cost a lot more to get Goff, as well. I don't know that it'll be worth it, which is why I want him less. I think Wentz is the sweet spot and Hackenberg is a great consolation.

As I said before, my perfect scenario involves us somehow coming away with Wentz, OJ Howard, and Devontae Booker.

#10 Two Sandwiches, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This feels like a good year to be the first time the Texans ever trade UP into the first round.

Nearly a decade ago (I know, it doesn't seem like that long ago but it was!) the Texans dropped back in the first round to take their future LT, Duane Brown. The team they traded with to do that? Baltimore, who moved into the 18 spot to select none other than Joe Flacco from Delaware.

Today it feels like the same scenario but reversed. The Texans are sorely in need of a quarterback, and a guy from a small school with great measurables and pocket presence has not played good enough competition to demonstrate his warts. Carson Wentz WILL go higher than 22.

It's up to the Texans to move up in front of the next team that they might think likely to draft him. Otherwise it'll be like 2014 all over again where you have teams jumping the Texans to take him. We need to be proactive about this.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The 14th pick is where they need to move to. It's right in front of the Rams who are also looking for a qb.

Trade our 1st, 2nd, and a 2nd next year.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rick Smith n McNair have no guts to trade up for a qb. They will watch the first tier ones go..... And draft best available linebacker. 2nd-3rd round they teach on qb n rb

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm going with Christian Hackenberg QB, Penn State
    because BO'B seems to have a fetish for QBs he has worked with befure
    and
    Doesn't seem to like those he has not . . . .

Rocket River

15. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

All aboard the Zeke Elliot hype train

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

This.

And think how great it could be if we do get Hackenburg and he sucks; Hack Hackenburg just rolls off the tongue! :p :rolleyes:

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

I feel like as the draft approaches, the good QBs will only appreciate in value and be gone by the time the Texans pick.

So I put Connor Cook because I feel like he'll be available at the pick but in reality it will probably be none of these guys unless they can trade up.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Tough to say, because we haven't seen any of the bowls, combine or evaluations. Wentz and Hackenburg may both rise on the boards. If they do, we'll have to make a call on trading up. I'd probably go with either of these kids and give them a year to adjust while we see if Savage has anything.

19. thejav

thejav Member

Elliot or Wentz..Hackenberg is awful.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As of now, I'd go for Elliott....but it's super early.