1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Clutchfans Mock Draft - 2014 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Remii

Remii Member

I think people are sleeping on McGill and Jean-Baptist. The NFL is a copy cat league and with all the success Seattle is having with big corners that can play press man coverage _ I would wait for one of those guys in the 2nd. And I think Roberson may turn out to be a good pro as well.

I agree with you about the corner back situation but as much as I do like Dennard, I wouldn't have passed up on one of the WR's you mentioned because they may have a bigger impact for the team out the gate at their position than what Dennard may have at his. In Rex is in a "win now" situation with his one year contract extension.

2. Remii

Remii Member

The jury is still out on Hopkins and he should have never been drafted over Patterson. They also drafted Jacoby, Martin, and Posey as well.

And you're missing my point. I'm not comparing the importance of QB and WR position (two positions that need each other actually) _ what I'm saying is just like with the QB position _ the best ones are usually found in the 1st round. On the other hand good defensive players like pass rushers and DB's are easier to find after the 1st round unlike QB's and WR's.

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

need to groom a replacement for Carson Palmer so the Cardinals will select...

Derek Carr

4. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Not drinking the Kool-aid on Patterson. Great returner, all-world speed. I do not like watching him play receiver, however.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Yes he's raw. Hopkins was "more NFL ready." Just the same _ Patterson had 9 TD's and both Dre and Hopkins combined for 7 and he had bad QB play as well. Just imagine how good he will be when he actually learns to run routes and read defenses which it looked like he started to do towards the end of the season.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Why? Because Patterson went to the pro bowl as a return man? Hopkins was a great rookie for us this past year, with a struggling Matt Schaub and rookie Case Keenum at the helm. He is not the problem.

Calvin Johnson, again, is breaking records in Detroit with an absolute upgrade over Dan Orlovsky but did that translate into a playoff berth? No because Matt Stafford just isn't there (maybe, yet...) as being a top flight QB in the league.

Then you can have a guy like Tom Brady (the exception to the rule) taking guys like Troy Brown and Deon Branch to championships and even making them Super Bowl MVPs.

Point is receivers are great, sometimes HOF caliber (Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens) but if you don't have the right QB there is no way that player will be successful in terms of wins no matter what round you find him in.

You can find plenty past the first round that contribue to winning teams so you CAN NOT put them in the same league of improtance as QB in terms of value in the first round.

7. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'll agree with you on that, he very well could be a good player in the future but I'm not seeing it right now. And from the Texans point of view, they thought at the time that they were adding the final piece to their offense to put them over the top.

8. Remii

Remii Member

For the 2nd time. I did not put WR in the same league as QB...

And I said good (to great) WR are usually found in the 1st round, I did not say WR's that contribute to winning teams.

And you feel the same way Flash... Because as bad as Pittsburgh's offensive line is and as bad as their secondary is _ you passed up on Dennard and drafted Mike Evans when Pittsburgh already has a #1 receiver. You could have waited to the 2nd or 3rd round but you didn't...

9. Remii

Remii Member

That's understandable.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

BPA

Antonio Brown is a possesion receiver.

Mike Evans is a receiver with speed in a TEs body, playmaker to the max. They are also getting Pouncey back who should help resolidify that o-line. They also weren't the same team after they lost Mike Wallace.

I'm not saying you can't select a receiver in the 1st. Just that you shouldn't put as high as an importance to select one in the first the way you are making it out to be.

Keenan Allen as the best receiver of last year's draft class and he was a 3rd rounder.

11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

So Green Bay's pick?

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think we have beaten the jets pick to death... Things are slowing down again...

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green Bay's pick .....Timmy Jernigan?

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Either him or Ryan Shazier.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pick one.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Both seem like reasonable picks of need and quality of player...

Philadelphia Eagles(KDJ3) would be next up. Are we proceeding through the weekend?

17. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I've got my pick ready..

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They like their Buckeyes, plus he runs a 4.3

Shazier it is!

19. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Packers should pick Amaro. Way too early for Shazier

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Amaro is a projected 2nd round pick. At least Shazier is a projected late 1st rounder.

Jernigan is all over the place but a lot of mocks have him going to the Bears @ 14.

It really doesn't matter so if it's undecided I say we just go Jernigan for Green Bay.