1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans Mock Draft - 2014 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Love Dennard. My favorite CB this year. Gilbert has all the athletic ability, his ceiling is sky high. But as far as coverage skills, Dennard is better imo. He just doesn't allow receptions.

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

He's going to be a great player, I was really hoping he would drop.

3. Remii

Remii Member

This draft is FULL of DB's. Jet fans would be outraged if you passed up a WR as bad as that receiving core is...

4. AnHero

AnHero Member

I actually love this guys Mel Kiper commentary of the picks.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jets fans are mad no matter who is drafted... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Manning needs a go to guy, and see Ebron becoming a Vernon Davis. Yes, Evans is talented, but he won't fill this role and IMO won't be the player that Ebron is/will.
    Now, Aaron Donald is another story. HE was the only player, I considered taking above Ebron. In fact, I believe I picked him in the "doomed draft".
    In the end, there was a value overlay with both players, but went with what I thought the Giants/Manning needed most.

As to Lewan - Buffalo needs help on the line. They have no balance as they can't protect Manuel. Taylor will be able to immediately step in and help open up that offense. And as I said before, he should be a leader/pro bowl caliber player for the next 10 -12 years. Lewan is 6'7" 315 lbs and cat like on his feet...plays with an attitude. Given time, he'll add weight and likely move to the left side.

#146 Plowman, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Yes, as it's always a good idea to listen to the Jets' masses. You know, the same fans that were calling for heads after the Jets drafted Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson.

Believe it or not, the Jets are even weaker at cornerback than wide receiver after cutting Cromartie and missing out on Verner and Revis. They literally do not have a #2 corner, and Miliner wasn't exactly a superstar last season. Jets fans didn't trust him as a #2, let alone as the #1 that he'll be this year.

Dennard was the best player on the board and he also fills one of the Jets biggest needs. Win-win.

Wide receiver is arguably the deepest position in this year's draft, and there should be plenty of talented ones available next around.

#147 M.G., Apr 4, 2014
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Great pick M.G.

Guys like Brandin Cooks and Allen Robinson will be there in the 2nd. Even a Jordan Matthews would be a good pickup then.

9. Remii

Remii Member

I don't agree with you Plowman, BUT you make such a good argument that I can't dispute it...

1 person likes this.
  10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This was also a good pick.

Looks like you're on the same page as the Bills. They just traded their 6th rounder for Mike Williams.

Probably will go o-line then choose another receiver out of the litter in the 2nd.

Nice going brutha.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Flash, you know the argument you make for quarterback as in the percentages for finding a good one are better in the 1st round (either you are Cannonball started a thread on it)... The same can be said for WR.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Not "ALL" of the Jets fans were mad about the Wilkerson/Richardson picks ;)

And they better hope some more veteran corners get cut because Brady will have a field day with a rookie and 2nd year player (regardless of who they draft).

Why bring in Vick or throw Geno out there without a potential #1 receiving option...? One thing that really hurt the Jets defense last year was the offense not being able to continue drives, score points, and turnovers which meant the defense had to be on the field longer.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You can find WR anywhere from 1st round to undrafted.

Guys like Wes Welker and Victor Cruz who went undrafted or even Josh Gordon who went in the supplemental draft. Big time players with minimal to no asset lose.

There have been guys like Roy Williams, Limas Sweed, and Charles Rogers who have been drafted higher than they should have who became busts. If you know a receiver can fit your system ala Wes Welker, theres no need to spend a high pick on him.

QB more often than not has been a different story. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.

14. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Well, they did sign Decker, so that should help out some, but I completely agree that the Jets need a WR. I was hoping that Mike Evans would continue his miracle fall to me, but it was cut short just a bit too early.

However, I don't really see that much separation between Beckham, Lee, Cooks and Benjamin, and I figured one of them had a chance of falling to me in the second. Even if none of them don't, there's still Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson, who both possess first-round value.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Oh really... So why has Dre been here all of these years and they still don't have a legitimate receiving option on the opposite side of him...?

Victor Cruz and Josh haven't necessarily showed the longevity to put in a category with Welker (but I think Josh will be).

Of course you can find some in later rounds. But if you do a list like you guys did for the quarterbacks _ the best WR "for the most part" are usually drafted in the 1st round.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Hopkins will complement him well for the remainder of his tenure here. You should blame that actually on Kubiak going with the strong blocker over the playmker/speedster at receiver.

The one thing you're forgetting his the importance of a QB compared to a WR in this sport. You can have all the Calvin Johnson's in the world but if all you have is Dan Orlovsky back there to man the QB position, your team will still go 0-16. It's been proven.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, man. It just seemed to make sense. :cool:

You guys ready for another pick?

#157 Plowman, Apr 4, 2014
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You cleared aren't informed with what is going on in Oakland. They've loaded up on 29-31 year old veterans on 2-3 year contracts. Schaub's replacement is likely to be drafted this year, maybe even in round 1.

Austin Howard was a RT in NY who will play RG in Oakland. Donald Penn was signed to play LT, and last year's 2nd round pick Menelik Watson is expected to play at RT. Eventually they hope Watson will be the starting LT, but he's not ready yet. Howard will move over to RT if Watson sucks or can't stay healthy.

They have 15 million and a 2nd round pick from 2013 already invested in the tackles. Wasting the 5th pick on the OL makes zero sense.

If Oakland is zeroed in at 5 and can't trade down, I cannot imagine any scenario where they take an LT. Just wouldn't make sense with the FA money they've already invested, plus already having a high draft pick from last year.

Based on the players available in this mock, I would have selected Khalil Mack based on BPA and need.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tough decision for Miami. In an ideal world, an OT is available(Zack Martin). I could reach a little for another, with Morgan Moses or once projected first-rounder Cyrus Kouandijo but instead...

With the 19th pick, the Dolphins select C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama.

Former GM Jeff Ireland's signings of Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler didn't go according to plan. We sniffed around on D'Qwell Jackson earlier this offseason but he signed elsewhere. As previously mentioned, we could reach for an OT but instead take the "BPA" and best inside linebacker in this draft.

Round 1
    1. Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    2. St. Louis Rams - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    4. Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    5. Oakland Raiders - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    6. Atlanta Falcons - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    8. Minnesota Vikings - Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    9. Buffalo Bills - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    10. Detroit Lions - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    11. Tennessee Titans - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    12. New York Giants - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    13. St. Louis Rams - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    14. Chicago Bears - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    16. Dallas Cowboys - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    17. Baltimore Ravens - Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    19. Miami Dolphins - C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Arizona Cardinals/whag00 are on the clock

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ha Ha Clinton Dix? Just... wow. And he was born before Lewinski-gate.