1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Life after Bosh: Why matching Parsons and focusing on 2014-15 should remain a priority

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

After this off season? I wouldn't trust any FA

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just not true, the cap is expected to rise to 80m in the next couple of years, and we are in win now mode - let's not forget Parsons was instrumental in getting Dwight, I will bet Morey has already told H&H we are matching.

DD

3. recadna

recadna Member

That is why sign and trade is sometimes better. You do not have to empty out your roster and then get Bosh'ed. Having young/cheap contracts and expiring contracts are the key to sign and trade. We do not have any assets left.

4. Rx1991

Rx1991 Member

Guys lets stop it with Parsons not worth 15 mill a year, its free agency that's what its all about. As we saw Bosh who is not even in his prime could take the raptors into a deep playoff run, just got 118 mill. Yeah he is defiantly not worth that money but he got it, So lets just pay parsons , he is young has potential and for the most part is proven.

5. HouTXmetro

HouTXmetro Member

Under the current circumstances, NO. If Parson's is going to be the third best player on this team for the next 3 years we will not sniff let alone win a championship.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Again, just not true.

He is just now entering his prime and is a very solid third option.

DD

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I hate this line that Parsons was instrumental at getting Dwight.

Fact #1: Parsons signed with Dan Fegan and Relativity around May 20th 2013. The Rockets were in the radar because they had James Harden...not because they had superstar model Chandler Parsons.

Fact #2: Chandler Parsons has been the most valuable contract in the league. The Rockets saw value and potential in Parsons and got him on the most team friendly contract for more than 3 years. If Morey chose to keep him under his rookie contract, very high chance Parsons bolts as a UFA. There was a reason why he was doing more modeling ish(dude has bills to pay).

Fact #3: Parsons didnt wait very long to cozy up with Mark Cuban the second Free Agency opened. Infact the deal was signed at a club little passed 12:00 AM.

Fact #4: Agents want to get paid. Max deal for players gets them lots of money. The more Parsons makes, the more he pockets. Agents and agency's dont care about team structure and team accommodations. ie. see Chris Bosh.

If anything we all should know that Parsons is a really smart business player. He got screwed with his initial contract, he got an agent that is notorious for helping players bank, he got offered a max deal by the Mavs.

The market for his services are 15 mil/year for 3 years. If the Rockets want to maintain continuity and camaraderie, they retain Parsons...and make smaller deals accordingly. If they think that price is too much, they will go another route. Chandler Parsons owes us nothing, and we shouldnt get so hung up on him if he is unmatched.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Where is this thinking coming from? You don't need 3 stars to win a title. Chandler is good enough to be the third best player on a championship team. This team's problem was depth and coaching last year and not the lack of a third star. If they match Parsons and use their exceptions well they are in a great position. Plus they would have trade exceptions and the Pelicans pick to package with it to upgrade at the trade deadline.

1 person likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Cat I agree with you. Morey just needs to pay up. Stop low balling guys. Especially good guys who have actually helped this organization.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

great article, thanks.

match parsons and build the bench.

11. HouTXmetro

HouTXmetro Member

We just going to have agree to disagree. I don't are championship material with him as the #3. Yes he is a good player but not worth handicapping this team going forward. He got undressed by Batuum in the playoffs last year. I know helped recruit D12 but I think we are taking for granted that D12 is going to be here long term and we have time and luxury to wait on developing the younger guys. Our Championship window is short IMO. I think Morey knows this. Just my opinion.

12. HouTXmetro

HouTXmetro Member

****I don't think we are Championship material

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I truly worry how our garden improves "organically" when we're not giving it water ... but Milk Hair instead .... and, yes, well, plenty of fertilizer during time outs.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Morey was begging someone to take Lin's contract so the loss of a first and second rounder is part for the course on that one didn't come out on top but not a true loss either. Best news, everyone can rejoice about **** LOF's are now the Lakers problems **** Ooooh, the Kobe fans are gonna HATE them! MUAHAHAHAHA!

CLUTCHFANS IS BACK!!!!!

Losing Asik for cap space sucks... we could have netted us a legit rotation player or two for him and still had money to play with from the Lin trade. SMH. Cest la vie!

Resign Parsons or let him go...... I'm a Rockets Fan, and I bleed Rocket Red! I will never pick a player over the team and anyone who does is just LOF with a twist. Don't lose sight of the team guys, that's our team and I don't care about all the role players that come and go. Hakeem is still the Dream we keep with us and NO ONE will ever be able to fill his shoes in our hearts, certainly not Parsons. Gotta love the Rockets! And gotta love Clutchfans!! Y'all are my extended family in a way cause most people don't. get my love of the game and the team like y'all do. We are gonna kick some serious ass this next year! we have 2 of the top 10 players in the league on this team. Everyone else around them is just filler.

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

Hindsight is almost (??) always 20/20. So no matter how the Parsons drama ends up, there will be some folks who can say, "I told you so."

Circumstances change from day to day during free agency. Morey is just reacting to those changes, with best available (and/or most logical) options at any given hour.

I say the Rox should match Parson's offer and do the best to fill remaining gaps. No matter what players you put on the court, learning to play together takes time. The starters are farther along that curve now and that is worth something. Can we put a price on it? I doubt it. Overpaying for it? Possibly. But I'd rather take that chance, given how close the Rockets are to being a 2-3 seed. Injuries are the wild card for any team. That's why a good bench (and the loss of Asik, in particular) could spell the difference between surviving and mediocrity, if Howard misses games due to injury.

As is the case every year, by the trade deadline, circumstances have changed for a lot of teams that might present trading partners for improving the roster. Team building is part planning/skill coupled with proper timing and part luck for the confluence of the two. If nothing else, the current FA period has shown how the best laid plans can be like vaporware.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

if the gap between the rockets and the likes of the clippers/okc/spurs is not a max player wide then how wide is it?? A TRevor ARiza or 2??

17. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

No it's to expected to get to 80M in the next couple of years. From cbafaq.com:

The NBA issued new projections for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 salary cap and luxury tax thresholds. The 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively.

If we keep Parsons + Ariza + Harden + Howard, we'll have over $60M tied up in those four players.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Column

Feeling better

Rocket River

19. houactuar

houactuar Member

Cpof:eek:

20. vernonmaxwell11

i'm sure many people have said this and someone has probably said it in this thread, what hurts more is that we had little shot at lebron and melo. somewhat of a shot at bosh. but we put all our eggs there while other really good starters and "role" players were locked up by other teams. not to say that if i were morey i would have done it differently, but i'm sure they / he had a better pulse for our chances at inking the top fa's.