1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Leaving Las Vegas: Rating the Rockets Rookies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Langhi, Nachbar, Badiane, Ricky Davis going off for 50+ in summer league games, that one dude, that other dude, that dude who hit all those shots, etc. They're a dime a dozen.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Donte Green?

or was that Gerald Green, I get those guys confused.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Oh lord how could I forget Badiane. Folks thought he was the savior.

Wonder what happened to him......

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xkc-en0_LGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why can't the Chronicle journalists write this well; interesting and informative? No place better for Rocket's stuff than ClutchFans.

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I like how you referred to Jones as a hybrid forward - the opposite of a tweener because he can effectively play both forward positions (offensively at least). That's not to say his defense is shallow either, he seems very apt at handling the 4 position pretty well and is a good rebounder too.

I have serious doubts about White, on the other hand. I realize he is an excellent passer and good ball handler but his shooting is really going to limit his game. I see him as a player that will be on the 2nd unit throughout his career unless he can find consistency on his shot or in the post.

I love Lamb's potential. Definitely has a chance to be the best shooting guard in the draft. Jim Calhoun was right, he can score 15ppg right away as a rookie and hit 20+ by his 3rd year. He'll need to improve defensively and strength-wise but I think he'll be ok on that end of the floor eventually. Love that he's only 20 years old.

7. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Actually your the one doing all the fantasizing ... it's pure speculation until a trade actually goes down.Right now we actually have the players being discussed in this thread,that is real.Please quit polluting every thread with talk of a player that isn't even on our roster.

8. tefunk

tefunk Member

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

#2 Jeremy Lamb : Lamb struggled slightly in his final game in Las Vegas. Lamb had 16 points and eight rebounds, but also five turnovers and missed all four 3-pointers he took. The UConn guard finishes with a 20.0-point average on 46.7 percent shooting. Lamb and the Rockets are an exciting bunch and he could see a lot of PT alongside the newly acquired Jeremy Lin. Lamb held the top spot until Thursday, when Damian Lillard leapfrogged him

#3 Terrence Jones : Houston's third first-round pick (No. 18 overall) out of Kentucky was a beast in Las Vegas and finished strong with 17 and nine. For the five games, Jones averaged 18.2 points and 8.6 rebounds. For a 6-foot-9 forward, Jones has surprising touch and is decent ballhandler and may have earned himself considerable playing time this season.

9. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

Early highlights of DMo in the Under18 Worlds....reminds me back then of Toni Kukoc. Even though now I noticed hes alot bulkier and stronger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37MBYJ-w7k

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Lonny Baxter

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice write up. I normally don't do stuff like this, but I read it twice.

12. conquistador#11

true. But over the past five seasons, the top ROY contenders during the regular season have ranked in the top five in SL. we have nearly three of them being ranked that with motie,lamb and jones...one of them has to pan out by percentages. :p

who will it be?

13. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Agreed. Hes probably the project rught now but out of all of them, i think he has the highest potential to be great. His skillset is just so rare especially for his size. It probably wont translate very well in the nba early on, but if he develops an in-between game, white would be a solid odom type of guy to have.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Where would you get this? Lamb and Motiejunas have much more potential. Heck, I think even Jones has White beat on raw ceiling.

The problem is you can't really project any elite skills for White except passing and ballhandling. He doesn't show a great post game, nor any ability to shoot, nor good defensive fundamentals.

Unique does not necessarily mean great. White is a unique player like Chuckwagon is a unique player, but I don't think anybody would call Chuck "high ceiling". A cool high character roleplayer who has dug out an interesting niche, but not a future all star or anything.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It looks to me like the Rockets may have 4 very good starters 2 years from now: Lin, Lamb, Parsons, and D-Mo. The only thing missing is a superior center. If the Rockets can trade for Howard and convince him to stay, 2 years from now we might possibly be talking about another title. Emphasis on might and posibly.

It really amazes me that Morey managed to get 4 young players of that caliber without a draft pick higher than 12th.

16. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Scott Machado
    Offense- B :good passing, decent scoring but too many turnovers
    Defense- B+ :did well on doubleteaming/steals
    Overall- B

Jeremy Lamb
    Offense- A+ :automatic midrange game
    Defense- B+ :nice block first game, rebounded pretty well
    Overall- A+

Royce White
    Offense- B+ :great passes, too many turnovers
    Defense- A :did outstanding job on the glass, bullied T-Rob in the post
    Overall- A-

Terrence Jones
    Offense- A :scored at will with big frame, quickness
    Defense- A+ :good rebounder, contested shots very well
    Overall- A

Donatas Motiejunas
    Offense- A+ :displayed great moves, footwork, surprising range
    Defense- A- :too weak in post but rebounded, hustled well
    Overall- A+

17. slabhurta

slabhurta Member

Well I'm going to be a realist. Can't give everyone an A.

J.Lamb- A
    He scored at will in a various of ways. Say him beat off the dribble a few times though when defending. Overall he is a very elite prospect with a bright future. With those long arms I would like to see him play the passing lane more than he already do.

D-MO - A
    Love this guys game and attitude and approach to the game. Not every big man will have every element to his game so while DMO won't be the shot blocker let's say a Ibaka is and won't have the box out out muscle skills D.Howard has, what he do have I think will make him super special. Can score so many ways..think Dirk & P.Gasol mixed with super fast speed. Should easily avg over 20ppg in the near future. I think he is a multiple future allstar easily. I believe he has the shot even more than Lamb as there will be plenty of scoring type guards in the nba and unless he avg"in 24 or more I don't see him as a easy lock for allstar. I think he will be very good but look at the guards in the west and you see what I mean.

T.Jones - A.
    This guy is a baller...I really think he will reach his max potential before the others and have the 2nd highest ceiling behind DMO. He is right now what we wish for Royce to be without the elite court awareness and ball handling skills. He can rebound/run/good weak side defender/ ect ect. This man is the new version nba 4. Pretty much big 3's. I only think he need to work on some post moves cause he has a nice faceup game. Sneaky allstar potential with this fella.

R.White -C+
    I have to give him this C grade for his overall performance. Yes I know and can see he wasn't.comfortable in his first 2 games. But anyway what I noticed was at times in the post when he could have easily attacked he only wanted to pass....the other team was like waiting on him to pass cause it seems the knew he wouldn't shoot. Now don't get me wrong...in transition this dude is a beast with ball in his hand. Makes the right play seemlessly. All in all Ithink he is my fav rocket....just a team guy although he prob won't score like jones lamb and dmo...I think he will all of the better. This can't be discounted. But yeah i wish he work on his mid range game and free throws. He will have tremendous value to the franchise.

M.Morris - D
    Smh...a damn selfish chunker....nothing else need to be said. A guy teamates will hate to be on the court with....not to mention his shot is not all that good. Sad. Waste of a pick. Had high hopes for this guy..

C.Fortson gawd *****ing awful!!!!!

Machado - C-
    Meh....I mean when you can play behind fortson...its making machado look like magic out there. I don't think he is natural out there...seems like a try hard and wasn't doing that much. Made some good passes in the last 2 games and he d up one pg in game 3 but I saw him beat off the dribble to often leaving our big men out of position trying to switch and cover the lane cause he let his man threw . D leaguer for now.

Also want to add Parsons looked great out there for game 1. This teams future is bright with or without a trade....should be one fastbreaking exciting team to watch. We have a lot of speed out there in the front court.